Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Yeoman

Default Dawn Review

I just read the most recent Dawn review and the writer seemed to have two main problems which I'm wondering about. I don't say that he's wrong, I just want someone to help me to find out if he can be correct.

1. "When we boarded the ship we found out that we would have to pay $12 per day per person gratuity". Can that be correct? Can anyone book a NCL-cruise without knowing about that cost?

2. "The only two restaurants that had no cover charge". Only two restaurants without the cover charge? When we cruised on the Dawn, 6 restaurants were included in the price, Garden Café, Blue Lagoon, Aqua, Impressions and Venetian (The 6th was Salsa which I know now has a cover charge)
Old January 25th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Admiral

I was on the Dawn January 10 thru 17 2009. There were people on board that were not aware that the service charge (tips) had increased to $12 per day. Although I did not have a problem with the service charge increase and felt it is well deserved some people did and were not happy. I guess the cost increase was published in some form but I did not learn of it until on the ship.
As for restaurants this info came from the Freestyle Daily dated 1/16/09.

Free Restaurants:
Garden Cafe
Venetian
Aqua
Blue Lagoon
New York Deli
Sprinkles Ice Cream
Bimini Grill
Outdoor BBQ
Room Service

Extra Cost Restaurants:
Cagney's
Le Bistro
Bamboo & Sushi
Teppanyaki
Impressions
Salsa
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old January 25th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Captain

Erik

Impressions is now Impressions of Italy with a $10 cover. It was my favorite main resturant and will be missed as one. It does make a far better Italian dining venue then when they used to close off half the buffet at night, add some table clothes, posters, and call it a specialty dining option.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old January 25th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Yeoman

I understand if some people weren't aware that the service charge had increased to $12, it seemed to me that the writer wasn't aware of the service charge at all.

I think it's good that they have changed Imressions to be the Italian restaurant. We ate at Mama's on our Jewel cruise and really liked it.

Venetian has absolutely been our favorite main restaurant on the Dawn so we won't miss the old Impressions if we cruise on the Dawn again.
Old January 25th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhag
IVenetian has absolutely been our favorite main restaurant on the Dawn so we won't miss the old Impressions if we cruise on the Dawn again.
Another example of why reviews differ so much. Everyone has different views. I have been on the Dawn 7 times and other then lunch I have had dinner in Venetian maybe a half dozen times. My least favorite restaurant. Far to big and reminded me of a nicely decorated banquet hall.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old January 25th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Dawn Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhag
I just read the most recent Dawn review and the writer seemed to have two main problems which I'm wondering about. I don't say that he's wrong, I just want someone to help me to find out if he can be correct.

1. "When we boarded the ship we found out that we would have to pay $12 per day per person gratuity". Can that be correct? Can anyone book a NCL-cruise without knowing about that cost?

2. "The only two restaurants that had no cover charge". Only two restaurants without the cover charge? When we cruised on the Dawn, 6 restaurants were included in the price, Garden Café, Blue Lagoon, Aqua, Impressions and Venetian (The 6th was Salsa which I know now has a cover charge)
Let me give you my take on all this: yes, he may have not known about the $12 per person versus the $10 before Jan 1st of this year. I would hope, if he booked with a TA she/he would have forwarned them. It has been posted for months on the NCL website as well. Some feel it was up to NCL to let everyone know about the increase. I can see why they feel this way but again, if you make a reservation at your favorite restaurant and the prices go up, does the person you made the reservation inform you by saying something like: "I do want to inform you as of tomorrow our prices are going up"? I don't think so, same with auto tipping at a reataurant which is becoming more common place all the time. I doubt anyone will let you know ahead of time we have changed our policy. This is just my feelings and yes, I know some would be upset about the increase, I would be..

As for the 2 dining rooms only, again, it is back to how many lines offer the variety NCL offers, free or otherwise. Along with the 2 main dining rooms you are correct, there is the grill, the buffet, Blue Laggon. Thus there are at least 3 more not mentioned. The prices on restaurants like Salsa's went up about 4 or 5 months ago. Anyonre doing research should have known this, but then not everyone who cruises spends a lot of time on these boards.
Nita
Old January 25th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to moonie101

I just come off the Norwegian Dawn and yes there is a charge. $12.00 per person per day for cleaning your cabin. For people over 3 years of age. I believe there were only 2 restaurants that hade cover charges, but the food was well worth it.