Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 28th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Beginner

Default Norweigen Pearl

We have a balcony room booked for May, 2009. We are very concerned with the food reviews on the Pearl. Any comments, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Admiral

In general take food reviews on any ship "with a grain of salt".
What one person considers awful others will think is great.
I have never left a cruise ship hungry.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old January 28th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Norweigen Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly
We have a balcony room booked for May, 2009. We are very concerned with the food reviews on the Pearl. Any comments, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated.
Tilly for the most part, like all cruise lines NCL serves the same thing on each ship. Of course the quality can depend on the chef but let me tell you a few things we had on our last cruise and see if this sounds like food you would not be happy with. We ate in the main dining room 4 or the 7 nights:

dinner: steak cooked exactly like we ordered
surf and more surf; which is a seafood dish with Lobster tail (1/2) mussels, salmon and scallops on top of pasta (not a lot of seafood but the sause was really rich and yummy
Prime rib
English Loin (similar to prime rib)
every night they have avail alternative items if there is nothing you like: some of these: Salmon, 8 oz steak, chicken breast, baked potato, fresh veggies, ceasar salad.
great souffles for dessert,
fresh breads baked daily
egg benedict for breakfast
huge salad bar in the lunch buffet plus great pastas, asian dishes and always roast, pork, ham or turkey.
If I had one complaint it would be there isn't a lot of really good seafood, but it is there...
They also have Lobster and Beef Wellingon one night. We had reservations at a specialty dining room that particular night.
Add to this you have other choices, the outdoor grill for lunch, Blue Lagoon for comfort food 24 hours a day and sur charge dining rooms for as little as $10.00 per person.

What more would you want??
Nita
Old January 28th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Passenger

I agree...We went on the Star last year and read all the bad reviews. We loved the ship and the food. there is so much to choose from and if you dont like something, ask them to bring you something else. We are going on the pearl in March and I read the same things, but Im not worried, I know I will always find something good without spending a lot of extra money.
Old January 28th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Cruise line food is good to someone and poor to someone else, poor service does not mean the food is bad. Some get poor service and feel the whole meal was bad. The cruise line are cooking for over 2000 people per meal and can't meet everyone's taste. We did a 19 day cruise on the Pearl in Sept/Oct and only had a questionable service at one meal.
Old January 28th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Bentnail, thanks, you are right on. The one thing everyone needs to remember, we are not talking about ships like 20 or so years ago that hold 1000 passengers, we are talking 2000 or more, usually more. The best chef can only do so much with that many people..the food will be closer to banquet quality than 5 star quality.

Nita
Old January 29th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have said it before and here goes again, we have been on nearly a dozen cruises, most of those being on NCL. I have never had a bad meal on any of their ships including the Jewel and Star which are virtually sister ships to the Pearl. The only real complaint that I have had on one cruise was that the steak I ordered in Cagney's was not tender as I expected and it was promptly replaced by the waiter.

We will be on the Pearl 2/22/09, for a cruise out of Miami. I expect that the food will be as good as the cruise we took in October on the Jewel.

We typically eat most of our meals in the sit-down restaurants and do not go to the buffets. We do like the option of using the specialty restaurants and feel that the extra charge is worth the convenience. ON the past few cruises the specialty restaurants offered 2 for 1 prices on port days, which was even better.

I am not sure what some reviewers are doing when they write scathing reports about cruise line food experiences. What I usually say when reading these reviews is this: "What would you have to pay at a resort or any other restaurant to get the same entrees, soup, salad, desserts, and all of the cruise-line extras (like all of the china and silverware)?

I am not a gourmet cook and know very little about wine, etc. I do like to eat and I know what I like based on taste, not what someone else tells me I should like. I have been very happy with the food on all the ships that I have cruised on and I have never heard any complaints by fellow cruisers during the actual cruises.

-jim
Old January 30th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Beginner

Hi, I'm new here and cruised on the Star to the Mexican Riveria the first week of December. It was my first cruise and I thought the food was fabulous. I had the pistachio souffle for desert on my 4th night in the Aqua Room and as soon as they set it down in front of me, I noticed a hair on the top of the whipped creme. I politely showed it to the waiter and you would have thought the ship was sinking!

The head chef, and all the rest of important big shots came out to apologize profusely and were so embarassed, that I ended up feeling bad! They did bring me a replacement that was delicious and when I got back to my room, lo and behold there a huge platter of cookies and chocolates to die for with a nice note from the head chef. I was so impressed with not only the food but their service.

I'm sailing on the Pearl March 1st and am happy to hear that I'm going to get the same good food.
Old January 30th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Passenger

We just booked a cruise on the Pearl for October. I want to thank each and every one of you for your comments. This will be our first cruise on Norweigan, and I was wondering if the food is as good as I have experienced in the past on other cruiselines.
Adventure of the Seas - 8/06
Navigator of the Seas - 8/05
Celebrity Century - 8/04
Old January 30th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetocruise
We just booked a cruise on the Pearl for October. I want to thank each and every one of you for your comments. This will be our first cruise on Norweigan, and I was wondering if the food is as good as I have experienced in the past on other cruiselines.
As mentioned so many times, food is very subjective, what I love, you may not and sometimes, as someone pointed out, we base food on service which are two different things:

From the lines you have cruised this is how I would rate NCL: better than RCI by a long shot (our opinion only) not quite as good as Celebrity and similar to Princess. I like Princesses entrees better because i am a seafood lover and I think they have more and do a better job with the seafood, most everything else, I prefer NCL. Our last cruise on NCL (last month) the buffet was much improved..

The lunch salad bar was the best of any line we have sailed and the fruit for breakfast, holy cow, there was everything, from fresh fruit to every kind of canned or dried you could think of, there were several hot cereal choices (I don't eat hot cereal on a cruise) but I noticed it plus they had heated milk to pour over the cereal. Of course there were the usuals, eggs and omeletts made to order plus home made waffles meats, etc. and don't forget the fish, not only lox but herring and a few other kinds.

Nita
Old February 1st, 2009, 02:37 AM
Passenger

Thanks so much, nmnita. You did a great job describing all of the choices they offer. I love having fresh fruit for breakfast. I guess I will miss having seafood dishes, but everything else sounds fabulous. I loved the service on Princess. They did a great job making you feel welcome and were always pleasant and helpful. We decided to give Norweigan a try this time around. [/b]
Adventure of the Seas - 8/06
Navigator of the Seas - 8/05
Celebrity Century - 8/04
Old February 2nd, 2009, 04:10 PM
Passenger

just back from the Pearl..

We didn't go hungry, but were disappointed in the main dining rooms. Service was poor & we weren't crazy about the menu options. We only ate there 2 times.

The buffet however, was probably the best we have ever seen. The always present huge salad bar, 8 flavors of hand scooped ice cream, shrimp cocktail, prime rib, etc.

Ate in Mambos one night ( 2/1 special) better service than dining room, food was good and 2 free margaritas.

As much as we would have loved to be waited on in the dining room and meet new dinner companions, it was too frustrating to have bad service. We just shifted our expectations & didn't let it ruin our vacation.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 04:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmaniac
just back from the Pearl..

We didn't go hungry, but were disappointed in the main dining rooms. Service was poor & we weren't crazy about the menu options. We only ate there 2 times.

The buffet however, was probably the best we have ever seen. The always present huge salad bar, 8 flavors of hand scooped ice cream, shrimp cocktail, prime rib, etc.

Ate in Mambos one night ( 2/1 special) better service than dining room, food was good and 2 free margaritas.

As much as we would have loved to be waited on in the dining room and meet new dinner companions, it was too frustrating to have bad service. We just shifted our expectations & didn't let it ruin our vacation.
Reading your statements here it sounds like freestyle dining does not work as well for you. This is a personal preferance. For some tradtional dining is much better, for others freestyle is the winner. I think freestyle seems to be appealing to more people all the time, that is why all lines have gone with some form of flex dining..

You probably didn't realize the same night you had prime rib in the buffet you could have had it in the dining room, same with most other items. We found this out on other lines in the past, what is being served in the dining room quite often is availabley at the buffet. I know everyone has his/her own tastes, but I am always amazed (not just on NCL boards but on others) when I hear people say, nothing appealed to them in the dining room. With the always available 8 oz steak, salmon steak, chicken breast, ceasar salad, shrimp cocktail, baked potato etc it would seem like there should be something for everyone..

Nita
Old February 4th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Passenger

The concept of Freestyle dining is what brought us back to NCL (we have been on 6 other cruises on different lines in-between) We wanted the flexibility of eating in the dining room when we were hungry instead of a designated time.

After the first poor service in the Summer Palace, my husband didn't want to go back, as it frustrated him and as it is vacation, you do have a choice to eat where you will be happier.

The question asked that started this thread was what did we think about the food...

Our OPINION was that we were not happy with the service in the dining room, so we opted to not go there & were very pleased with the options in the buffet.
Old July 1st, 2009, 06:45 PM
Beginner

Default breakfast buffets were awesome

we sailed on the pearl last march and are going again in Oct. The outside buffet on the back of the ship has great breakfast and lunch stuff. What we loved is they have crispy and non crispy bacon offerings. I like to channel my inner Paula Dean and indulge in all the stuff I never would bother to cook at home and crispy bacon is No. 1 for breakfast. They had great fruit and their chicken salad was very good as well. Super breads.

The main dining room food wasn't super, but not bad either. On the whole, pretty much like what we've had on other cruise lines. The exception being Disney, food there was great (of course we had a wonderful waiter who steered us to all the best stuff!). enjoyed several of the specialty restaurants as well.

We liked their Action STation idea for the buffet -- didn't feel like you were eating warmed over food as most was cooked to order right in front of you. great option for breakfast or lunch. (dinner too if you don't want to get dressed beyond a swimsuit cover-up).

It was actually better than Celebrity's regular dining room fare (we sailed the Summit in January).

With large cruise ships, it is what it is! The regular dining rooms just can't do what the specialty ones can because there are too many people to serve.

But I promise, you won't go hungry and you'll probably gain weight right along with all the rest of us! So just go ahead and have another slice of that crispy bacon!

Anne