Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 30th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Familiar Face

Default bar setup or smuggling?

Maybe someone can help me out. I am just a bit confused. Here is what I understand from reading the other posts.

If I order a bottle of vodka for my stateroom with a bar setup I have to somehow find my own mixers. I can't bring a lot of soda or juice with me because I am flying. I understand that ice is not a problem and that having a refrigerator makes things easier. I read that lemonade is not available all day at the buffet on NCL. Are there juices that I can get from the buffet? Is there 50/50 or another soda like sour that is in the refrigerator that I can pay for as I use? It doesn't make sense to me that they sell the alcohol, but make you scavenge around for something to mix it with.

I have read about smuggling alcohol on board with bags that look like IV bags that are called rum runners. They are not supposed to show up on xrays as a liquid. They are also supposed to be rather leak proof. I guess I don't mind paying for the mixers if I can bring my own alcohol. I really don't want to be called to the naughty room and I understand that NCL is the best enforcer of their alcohol policy.

Does anyone have experience with either of these methods? I don't drink a lot, but would like a drink or two as we get ready for dinner each night. On a seven day cruise, with drinks around $10 each even that small amount of cocktails adds up.
Thanks for the help.
Old January 31st, 2009, 08:37 AM
Admiral

first of all, even with gratuity unless you are drinking fru fru drinks you will not spend $10 per drink. Second, yes, many people are using rum runners and yes, they seem to go undetected, but if everyone keeps using them and flaunting it, NCL and other lines will find a way to snag them. If you really do not want to go to the "naughty room" face it, you will either have to do the bar set up or buy your drinks on board. It is up to you, just don't whine if you do get caught. You mention not being able to brink much soda with you because you are flying, this really has nothing to do with NCLs liquor policy.

We have smuggled in the past (when there were no bar set up plans) now we just do the set up. If isn't worth the worry to try and pull something over on the company. You also mention not being able to get mixers with
the bar set up, some lines don't offer a bar set up (many in fact) and Princess doesn't offer the mixers, so NCL isn't much different. The only thing they are different about, they do crack down more than other lines.

No one can tell you what to do, this is an issue that comes up on all these boards weekly. There is no right answer, it is what you feel right doing.

Nita
Old January 31st, 2009, 09:51 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks for your input.

Does anyone else have some ideas about the mixers situation? I realize it isn't the cruise line's problem. It is mine and I am trying to find a solution before we sail. I thought this was a good place to ask questions.

I have no intention of whining or complaining. Just looking for enough info to make a good decision.
Old January 31st, 2009, 10:05 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrt4girls
Thanks for your input.

Does anyone else have some ideas about the mixers situation? I realize it isn't the cruise line's problem. It is mine and I am trying to find a solution before we sail. I thought this was a good place to ask questions.

I have no intention of whining or complaining. Just looking for enough info to make a good decision.
As for mixers, what a lot of us do is bring Crystal light, depending on what you are drinking. You can mix that when you get to your cabin. Other then that, you will either have to bring your soda or get juice from the breakfast buffet..You can always buy soda at the ports. If you come in the day before sailing, which many people do, make a stop at a convenience store or grocery store.
Old January 31st, 2009, 11:08 AM
Captain

The mixer issue is the same with a bar setup or if you smuggle. The diference is the bar setup will be there and rom runners are not 100%. I wonder what the TSA is going to think when see that liter of liquid in your checked bag. Expect you bag to arrive having been seached.

For the record they can see the liquid. The reason it gets thru at all is it is not in the shape of a bottle. That will change as more and more post about usung rum runners.

Back to your question of mixers. What do you want ? There are 100s of different dry mixers you can pack -sour, margarita, pinacolota, daiquiri etc. Just google dry mixers.

You can order soda - club, tonic etc when you order the bar setup or go to any bar and get cans for $1.75 as well as limes or lemons with a small tip. Juices from the buffet or from room service.

First port stock up and bring on all the soda or juice you want.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:25 PM
Passenger

Crysal Lite mixes very nicely with vodka. I know friends of mine fill their water bottles with vodka and superglue the caps back on to the ring that breaks when open. Looks like the water bottle was never opened. They also did the same w/Snapple Iced Tea and burbon.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:03 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks. It took me a while to figure out that people were talking about the powdered mix. I get it now. Great idea. Since I like cranberry and vodka I am going to see if there is cranberry powered mix or a syrup concentrate that I can find to take along.

I think I would rather pay for the bar set up than spend the night before in the hotel gluing water bottles of vodka closed. But we will see.
Old March 10th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacaqn
Crysal Lite mixes very nicely with vodka. I know friends of mine fill their water bottles with vodka and superglue the caps back on to the ring that breaks when open. Looks like the water bottle was never opened. They also did the same w/Snapple Iced Tea and burbon.
What are you saying, they will let the water bottles through if they think they are unopened? Does someone open them to check and if they crack, they allow them to go through?
Old March 10th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanxfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacaqn
What are you saying, they will let the water bottles through if they think they are unopened? Does someone open them to check and if they crack, they allow them to go through?
they may let them through, they may not. It is up to you if you want to take the chance. I wouldn't, but I am not you.

Nita
Old March 10th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Familiar Face

Default All set

Thanks to everyone for the input.

I ordered a bar set up and asked the person that took the order for the best suggestion for getting cranberry juice for mixing. She told me to simply order it from room service at breakfast and to order as much as I thought I would need for the day. Sounds like an easy solution to me.

Just wanted to pass this on in case anyone else was wondering.
Old March 10th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Admiral

Default Re: All set

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrt4girls
Thanks to everyone for the input.

I ordered a bar set up and asked the person that took the order for the best suggestion for getting cranberry juice for mixing. She told me to simply order it from room service at breakfast and to order as much as I thought I would need for the day. Sounds like an easy solution to me.

Just wanted to pass this on in case anyone else was wondering.
great to know..

Nita
Old March 11th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Beginner

If you need ideas for getting fluids on board PM me. I've got solutions!
Old March 11th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameHater
If you need ideas for getting fluids on board PM me. I've got solutions!
Hey Flame! I've PM'd you twice, but not sure if it went through since I don't seem them in my sent items, but I would love some ideas. Maybe you're more familiar with this board and can PM me? Thanks! I'm leaving Saturday on my first cruise and can use all the help and information I can get! THANKS!
Old March 13th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Beginner

Where can I find information on a bar setup? 8)
Old March 14th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Familiar Face

You need to email the event coordinator for your ship. I did that and they emailed me back and asked me to call a specific number and extension. It was very easy and quick. Have your credit card ready.

The email is GroupEventStar@ncl.com. Just put in the correct ship name and you are set to go.

If you search bar set up under the Norwegian Cruise Line thread you will find information on the prices. I paid $103 for a liter of grey goose vodka. There is a posting will all the information and prices, but I don't know how to create a link to it from this post. The title of the post is alcohol on the ship.