Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 31st, 2009, 01:09 AM
Beginner

Default Formal night

This will be our first cruise on NCL, we've done several other cruise lines. We have 2 questions we're hoping someone out there can provide us with answers.
On the formal night, would my husband be able to get by without a sportscoat or jacket, say just a long sleeve shirt, dress slacks and a tie?
Our second question is, does NCL ever have a cocktail hour where drinks are on NCL, just for an hour. As we've been on other cruise lines that do this free cocktails for one hour.

Linda M.
Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2009, 09:39 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Formal night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda M
This will be our first cruise on NCL, we've done several other cruise lines. We have 2 questions we're hoping someone out there can provide us with answers.
On the formal night, would my husband be able to get by without a sportscoat or jacket, say just a long sleeve shirt, dress slacks and a tie?
Our second question is, does NCL ever have a cocktail hour where drinks are on NCL, just for an hour. As we've been on other cruise lines that do this free cocktails for one hour.

Linda M.
Your husband will be fine with a shirt and tie as NCL doesn't have any true formal nights, it is formal, optional only. As for the free 1 hour cocktails that is no longer. It pretty much disappeared when "freestyle" went into full affect...

Nita
Old January 31st, 2009, 12:19 PM
Captain

No problem. He could get by even without the tie. You will find a real mix since dressing up is optional. Most people just upgrade resort casual. Like your husban some will add a tie, some a sports coat, a few in suits, and still for those that enjoy it you will find a few in formal dress. There will still be a few that can't seem to live unless they are in their jeans.

As far as the tradition cocktail hour before each seating as Nita pointed out it is gone since there is no set dining time. They do a have a cocktail hour for past passengers normally in the afternoon and another for VIP the same evening as dress up or not night.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have found that NCL is becoming more "casual" with every cruise that we take with them. In October, we went to Canada and New England and expected that due to the colder weather, everyone would dress up more at night. We were surprised to see that the majority of men did not even wear jackets at night. VERY few tuxes. Mostly dress shirts, slacks and no ties. We did see a lot of people in jeans or more casual clothes.

As far as the free drinks, ditto to the last posts. We are "Lattitudes" members so we do take advantage of the party that they throw for members. This is done on an invitation only basis and the invitations are left in the room and collected at the door of the party.

-Jim
Sunny and 25 degrees F in Buffalo today (virtual heat wave)
Old February 2nd, 2009, 02:46 PM
Yeoman

On our cruise on the Jewel last September, noone cared about the invitations at the door! Anyone could have entered the room since no invitations were checked!
Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhag
On our cruise on the Jewel last September, noone cared about the invitations at the door! Anyone could have entered the room since no invitations were checked!
That is odd. So I guess they did not give away prizes as usual.

Normally they collect the invitation letters at the door and draw from the pile to give away free dinners, free photos, free internet minutes etc.

I guess if someone wanted to crash the party they could walk in late after the receiving line is gone and they have all the letters in the box on the stage.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhag
That is odd. So I guess they did not give away prizes as usual.

Normally they collect the invitation letters at the door and draw from the pile to give away free dinners, free photos, free internet minutes etc.

I guess if someone wanted to crash the party they could walk in late after the receiving line is gone and they have all the letters in the box on the stage.
I was going to say the same, we have always had them check and collect the letters. In fact on the Star they almost didn't let my cousin join me as she was not a latitude member. They finally did I should add.

Nita
Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Like I noted, on the Jewel in October, they were very careful about collecting the letters at the door. There were quite a few people at the door when they opened and I am sure that it would have been possible to pass with the crowd if you wanted to get in without an invitation.

Of course you wouldn't be eligible for the door prizes but my opinion is that the quality of the door prizes has gone down dramatically. Also, the Lattitudes party used to be more formal and the Captain was always there. They had the Norwegian Show Band and a full hour at least of dancing and drinks. Now the party is more or less a way to promote future cruises and talk about the discounts available for putting down a deposit while on board. The Captain was not at the last two parties that we attended. I don't remember there being any hors d'ourves there either, which used to be a staple item.

I also wish that the party was done in the early evening like it used to be instead of the afternoon. It forces you to miss other activities if you want to attend the party.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 04:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInBuffalo
Like I noted, on the Jewel in October, they were very careful about collecting the letters at the door. There were quite a few people at the door when they opened and I am sure that it would have been possible to pass with the crowd if you wanted to get in without an invitation.

Of course you wouldn't be eligible for the door prizes but my opinion is that the quality of the door prizes has gone down dramatically. Also, the Lattitudes party used to be more formal and the Captain was always there. They had the Norwegian Show Band and a full hour at least of dancing and drinks. Now the party is more or less a way to promote future cruises and talk about the discounts available for putting down a deposit while on board. The Captain was not at the last two parties that we attended. I don't remember there being any hors d'ourves there either, which used to be a staple item.

I also wish that the party was done in the early evening like it used to be instead of the afternoon. It forces you to miss other activities if you want to attend the party.
I think the captain has always been at our parties, and I really don't see too much difference in the door prizes. I agree with the time, it is too short and too casual. We did good to get 2 glasses of wine (I think we got 2) and a couple of appitzers. But still better than Princess or Celebrity..

As for the prizes, there were several, not all great but dinner in Le Bistro, spa treatments, photo albums (kinda boring) bingo cards, etc. I won a spa treatment. It is the first time I have won anything at one of these, I was so excited you would have thought I had just gotten a free cruise.

Nita
Old February 2nd, 2009, 04:30 PM
Passenger

Since the airlines now charge for your bags, we drastically cut back what we packed. No suits, no formal wear, hubby took 2 ties, didn't wear either & I wore a skirt only one time.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:19 AM
Yeoman

No prizes.
Old February 4th, 2009, 12:14 PM
First Mate

yes, airline restrictions of baggage weight have 'done a number' on formal nights and semi-formal nights. such a shame. but,, still, a pair of nice slacks and a shirt don't weigh more than a pair of jeans and a sweat shirt. it is all a matter of manners and class, i suppose. and just plain pride in how one looks. when i cruise alone, i don't bring formal wear because on those nights i eat in lido or order room service and this is my choice, of course. but i cruise on hal, and still formal night in the dining room MEANS formal, though even hal has been getting more permissive -- but still no jeans, etc. thank goodness. when even hal goes the way of ezcruise, i shall abandon ship.
Old February 4th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hombre
yes, airline restrictions of baggage weight have 'done a number' on formal nights and semi-formal nights. such a shame. but,, still, a pair of nice slacks and a shirt don't weigh more than a pair of jeans and a sweat shirt. it is all a matter of manners and class, i suppose. and just plain pride in how one looks. when i cruise alone, i don't bring formal wear because on those nights i eat in lido or order room service and this is my choice, of course. but i cruise on hal, and still formal night in the dining room MEANS formal, though even hal has been getting more permissive -- but still no jeans, etc. thank goodness. when even hal goes the way of ezcruise, i shall abandon ship.
HAL still has the most formal, formal nights I think, even more than Celebrity and yet, we saw a few on our last cruise that were pushing the "formal"dress code. One was a guy at our table. No he was not wearing jean and a sweat shirt that goodness. Some of us seniors are so accustom to the "old" style of cruising we can't quite get used to what has happened and yet, if we can't accept change we will not spend our remaining days living a very happy life..

Nita