Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2009, 04:49 PM
Beginner

Default alcohol on the ship

I been told you cannot bring your own alcohol on the ship. We are going on the Pearl and was wondering if they have a liquor store or a store on the ship that sells bottles of hard liquor. Do you have to buy all alcohol at the bar, pay an exceeding cost plus a tip? What if you buy alcohol in one of the ports, can you bring it back to your room? Do they check all of your bags(shore purchases, carry ons and your large luggage) as you come into the ship? I just hate to spend so much $$ on drinks-like to relax a little on vacation.
Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2009, 08:20 PM
Captain

Default Re: alcohol on the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by erincruise
I been told you cannot bring your own alcohol on the ship. We are going on the Pearl and was wondering if they have a liquor store or a store on the ship that sells bottles of hard liquor. Do you have to buy all alcohol at the bar, pay an exceeding cost plus a tip? What if you buy alcohol in one of the ports, can you bring it back to your room? Do they check all of your bags(shore purchases, carry ons and your large luggage) as you come into the ship? I just hate to spend so much $$ on drinks-like to relax a little on vacation.
You can try and bring your own alcohol onboard but they do in fact check all bags like an airport including returning from ports. They clearly don't find it all but don't be surprised if they find yours. You can pre-order a bottle for your cabin. Clearly not retail prices but far less then by the shot onboard. To order a bar set up email GroupEventPear@ncl.com.

The expectations is those bottles are for consumption in your cabin like any hotel.

Type of Liquor Price Bottle Size

Bourbon/Whiskey
Seagram's 7 Crown $60 1 Ltr
Jack Daniel's Black $80 1 Ltr
Crown Royal Special Reserve $100 750 Ml
Cognac
Courvoisier VS $60 1 Ltr
Rémy Martin V.S.O.P $80 1 Ltr
Gin
Beefeater $60 1 Ltr
Bombay Sapphire $80 1 Ltr
Liqueurs
Brogan Irish Cream $60 1 Ltr
Southern Comfort $60 1 Ltr
Di Saronno Amaretto $80 1 Ltr
Godiva Chocolate $80 750 Ml
Grand Marnier $80 750 Ml
Kahlua $80 1 Ltr
Pama $80 750 Ml
Rum
Bacardi Superior $60 1.14 Ltr
Captain Morgan $60 1 Ltr
Scotch Whiskey
Cutty Sark $60 1 Ltr
Glenfiddich $80 1 Ltr
Chivas Regal $80 1 Ltr
Tequila
Cuervo Gold $60 1 Ltr
1800 Reposado $80 750 Ml
Sauza Tres Generations $100 750 Ml
Vodka
Smirnoff 80 $60 1 Ltr
Absolut $80 1 Ltr
Absolut Citron $80 1 Ltr
Absolut Kurant $80 1 Ltr
Absolut Peper $80 1 Ltr
Absolut Mandarin $80 1 Ltr
Absolut Apeach $80 1 Ltr
Absolut Ruby Red $80 1 Ltr
Grey Goose $100 1 Ltr
Grey Goose L'Orange $100 1 Ltr
Grey Goose La Vanille $100 1 Ltr
Grey Goose La Poire $100 1 Ltr

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old February 24th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Beginner

The alcohol was high. We packed liquor in our luggage in plastic soda bottles. Had no trouble. Also refilled on the islands and carried it back looking like water or soda. Be discrete it works
Old March 10th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaair
The alcohol was high. We packed liquor in our luggage in plastic soda bottles. Had no trouble. Also refilled on the islands and carried it back looking like water or soda. Be discrete it works
Does that mean you were able to get the "water" bottles in when you first checked your luggage but putting the bottle inside your suitcase...and then again upon return at ports? That would help big time as the prices are outrageous! This is my first cruise so I have NO idea what to expect.

- Maureen
Old March 10th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Admiral

Default Re: alcohol on the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by erincruise
No cruise line will allow to bring booze on board anymore and you can not purchase it from the duty free shop and take to your cabin. Again, this isn't must NCL, it is all cruise lines..Yes, they will check everything when you board in various ports. The only way to get around thiis is to do the bar set up prior to sailing. It will still cost what some think is alot, but cheaper than purchasing drinks by the glass.

As for the price of drinks, they are no more than what you pay at most bars and restaurants in most cities..mixed drinks (if you stay away from the fru fru ones) and don't buy the souvenior glasses will run about $5.50 plus 15% tip: some will be more if you call your brand and like the primium ones. Martinis are a little higher..Wine will cost anywhere from $5.50 a glass up to what ever you want to pay. There is a 15% gratuity added to all drinks..

Nita
Old March 11th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Beginner

Let's not be discrete about talking about getting alcohol on board! You don't think the cruise lines won't come on these message boards to see why their alcohol sales keep dropping. Soon the cruise lines will start to ban bringing outside beverages on board. I appreciate the fact that NCL allows me to bring water and soda on board. E-mail people for ideas, don't openly broadcast what you do.
Old March 11th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameHater
Let's not be discrete about talking about getting alcohol on board! You don't think the cruise lines won't come on these message boards to see why their alcohol sales keep dropping. Soon the cruise lines will start to ban bringing outside beverages on board. I appreciate the fact that NCL allows me to bring water and soda on board. E-mail people for ideas, don't openly broadcast what you do.
Great advise: Like you, I am waiting for the day they do ban soda and water. Carnival tried a couple of years ago, but gave up, after a few weeks. I still can see the day coming..

Nita
Old March 11th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Yeoman

My opinion is that if you can't afford to buy the drinks on the ship, maybe it's better not to cruise. As said it's only my opinion, of course everyone do it the way they want.

A good tip is to avoid the souvenierglasses but remember to say that you don't want to have the souvenierglass, if you don't say anything they give you the most expensive drink!
Old March 12th, 2009, 12:48 PM
First Mate

Don't even try to sneak alcohol on the ship. NCL is very strict. They will take it from you. Hey, you can drink free at home. You are on vacation.