Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2009, 01:12 PM
Familiar Face

Default 2 Questions - Cabin size and NCL Vs Carnival

Looking into NCL for family of 4. Are the Ocean View cabins able to accomadate a family of 4 (2 Adults and 2 Children). If not would Balcony or Suite be the correct option.

Also, Usually cruise with Carnival and have had great trips but am getting bored with Ship Layout, Shows, similar Food options etc.

Any advice what i may find better or worse with NCL ?

Thanks, !!

Carnival Freedom Jan 2012
RC Liberty OTS Feb 2011
Carnival Valor Feb 2010
RC Navigator OTS Apr 2009
Carnival Splendor Jan 2009
Carnival Valor- Feb 2008
Carnival Ecstacy - Feb 2006
Carnival Imagination - Jan 2005
Carnival Fascination - Feb 2004
Carnival Fascination - Jan 2003
Disney Magic - Nov 2003
Carnival Ecstacy - Feb 2001
Royal Caribbean Sovereign Of the Seas 1999
Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas 1997
Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2009, 03:22 PM
Captain

NCL cabins are generally smaller then Carnival's

You can get 4 in an oceanview but expect wall to wall beds with one pullman on most NCL ships. I wish I had an oceanview picture but it will be a lot like this inside cabin.

Some of the ships have quad balcony cabins more room like this one on the Sun

The mini suite works very well with a curtain separating the double sofa bed from the other sleeping area and 80 more SF then an average oveanview

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old February 23rd, 2009, 03:37 PM
Admiral

shoreguy,

are the aft balconies on the Dawn bigger than other balconies. I know the basic size of the cabins are similar.

Nita
Old February 23rd, 2009, 04:39 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
shoreguy,

are the aft balconies on the Dawn bigger than other balconies. I know the basic size of the cabins are similar.

Nita
The balconies on deck ten are huge but they only hold 3 passengers. Deck 9 a bit smaller. The Gem has quad aft balconies almost as large on deck 10.

Cabin 10230 Dawn

Old February 23rd, 2009, 06:30 PM
Admiral

thanks Shoreguy, I knew you would have the answer, and you are easier to get them from than calling NCL sometimes.

Nita
Old February 24th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Familiar Face

I have been on the Carnival Conquest Jan 11-18/09 and had a balcony cabin. I have had a balcony cabin on NCL Spirit and a mini-suite on the Gem.

The balcony cabin on the Conquest (panorama deck) and NCL Spirit (deck 9) were very similar in size. Both had tiny single beds (both pushed together made a double - yikes!) - they lied when it said it was a queen on the conquest!!. Both had couches that made into a bed. The bathroom was far better on the Spirit (with the compartments). I personally would not put four people in a cabin. If you absolutely had to - I would opt for a balcony. You will need the extra space and fresh air!

The mini-suites on the Gem were quite a bit bigger (about the same size as a balcony cabin on HAL - only much much nicer than the Maasdam). If you can swing a mini-suite, it would be an excellent choice.
Old February 24th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun~
I have been on the Carnival Conquest Jan 11-18/09 and had a balcony cabin. I have had a balcony cabin on NCL Spirit and a mini-suite on the Gem.

The balcony cabin on the Conquest (panorama deck) and NCL Spirit (deck 9) were very similar in size. Both had tiny single beds (both pushed together made a double - yikes!) - they lied when it said it was a queen on the conquest!!. Both had couches that made into a bed. The bathroom was far better on the Spirit (with the compartments). I personally would not put four people in a cabin. If you absolutely had to - I would opt for a balcony. You will need the extra space and fresh air!

The mini-suites on the Gem were quite a bit bigger (about the same size as a balcony cabin on HAL - only much much nicer than the Maasdam). If you can swing a mini-suite, it would be an excellent choice.
our bed on the Spirit certainly was a queen, not a double. I am glad you liked your NCL cruise. 4 people on the Spirit in one cabin would be a little tight..

Nita
Old February 24th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Admiral

O.K. Shoreguy, I booked Cabin 11654 on the Gem for our TA cruise in November 2009....... any comments? This is our first aft cabin and first TA!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old February 24th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2gonow
O.K. Shoreguy, I booked Cabin 11654 on the Gem for our TA cruise in November 2009....... any comments? This is our first aft cabin and first TA!
I always have comments

First you are going to love it.

11654 like my 11152 on the Gem earlier this month is only 218 SQF or about 18 SQF smaller then most AFs. The only difference I found was a little less clearance betwen the foot of the bed and the wall.

Bring a "Jimmy Stick" or some duct tape and make it onboard. All the aft cabin sliding doors will not lock part open. You ask what is a Jimmy Stick ?

Here is ours

You can use the rubber door stop as well. Just wedge it in like the Jimmy stick.

All that said having a balcony you can use every day at sea and views like this are more the worth a banging door

Old February 24th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Admiral

Shoreguy, according to the deck plan for the Gem, this cabin looks larger than the others...... do you think that is the case, or just the way the deck plan was drawn?
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old February 25th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Captain

Quote:
Shoreguy, according to the deck plan for the Gem, this cabin looks larger than the others...... do you think that is the case, or just the way the deck plan was drawn?
and 11150 loks smaller then 11152 but it is not. In fact it is larger with a reversed floorplan. I pulled the SQF for 11656 from the NCL website it shows as 218. May be wrong. I know 11152 was in fact smaller the 11154.

I did not look into 11656 but dit go into and tke pictures of 11150,52,54 and the HC 11654.

Not a big difference in any case

11152 218 SQF

11154 235 SQF

Old February 25th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Admiral

Thanks for checking. You are right, I know I will have plenty of room and storage, and the cabin will be wonderful! Can't wait!
Mariner of the Seas

Old February 25th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Captain

Quote:
Thanks for checking. You are right, I know I will have plenty of room and storage, and the cabin will be wonderful! Can't wait!
The bank of drawers and shelves on the righ in the first picture is huge. There were more drawers in the desk area I never used.