Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 8th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default NCL Freestyle 2.0 Questions????????

What ever happened to the the bold plan of Freestyle 2.0????? We were on the Jewel last October and saw that they were changing the pillows, etc. but we never saw an increase in the Lobster offerings at the restaurants.

Additionally on our cruise on the Pearl 2 weeks ago, we did not have lobster once except for the night my wife had surf and turf at Cagney's, which we paid for.

The biggest issue for me is this: Freestyle 2.0 was supposed to include an increase in "Enrichment Courses" offered under the NCL University. I enjoy having the option to attend information classes while on board and NCL, though surveys, had declared that they saw a demand for this from their clientele. Most of the classes that I have seen on board recently with the "NCL -U" designation, have been classes on how to make bar drinks or other classes that require you to pay to attend the class. Examples: 2/23/09 on the Pearl; NCL-U MARTINI TASTING $15; GLOBAL BEER TASTING $15; FRENCH WINE AND CHEESE TASTING $15. 2/27/09: MARGARITA TASTING $15; MOJITO TASTING $15;
WHISKEY AND BOURBON TASTING $15.

OK, I don't need to attend those courses and there were others that were free. The real reason for writing this message is this: I was informed by one of the lecturers during the cruise that effective April 1st, 2009. All of the "free" courses offered under NCL-U are being eliminated.

Can anyone confirm or repudiate this???????????????????????
Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Captain

I can not confirm NCL U free lectures are continuing of not. I confirm on the Gem last month there were a series of 4 NCL U computer classes, A bridge class, A digital photo class, and two other classes on on the Bermuda Triangle and one on Pirates. None of the "tastings you posted were listed as NCL U.

If they are being eliminated it may be because nobody goes to the classes. I walked by the Digital Photo class and there were 10 passengers attending.

Keep in mind they are normally offered on sea days. If you only have one sea day you may only have one day to catch them.

All I can say is you must have missed the lobster. May have been the night you were at Cagney's. That has happened to me. Last 3 cruises it was served twice in the main dining room. Now it is not listed as lobster and served as part of a seafood combination. Both nights the dish had a decent tail, scallops, grouper and you could ask for more tails.

In fact lobster galor is fully implemented with every venue offering lobster. You can have it every night but may have to pay extra. Lobster Taco in the Tex/Mex, lobster raviolli in the Italian, main dining room as about, Live or tails ( live varies from ship to ship) in Cagneys, tails at Bistro.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old March 8th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

In October, we attended a digital photography class and there was at least 50 people in all of the classes. They were on sea days. I kept all of the "Freestyle Daily" newsletters from the Pearl cruise and there were other NCL-U classes on board.

I did attend the Internet technology class which had 10-15 people. Others that I attended included "History of Maya" 30 people; and 2nd City comedy history - 40 people; "Laugh til you drop" with Peter Sasso -100 people. Others that I did not attend were the 2nd City Improv Workshop, ant of course, the liqour tasting classes.

As you can see from te examples above, the attendance (for this cruise) was all over the map. I can see that NCL would drop courses where the attendance is low or the feedback on the presenters is below standards. Again, from what I was told, NCL is stating that all enrichment classes were being eliminated.

One other point, there are classes onboard that are what I would call enrichment classes but are not branded with the NCL-U name. Included in this catagory are the Dance Classes. On the Pearl, the dance classes were extremely well-attended and in fact were too crowded to properly conduct a class. The instructor for all of the classes (3 classes during the cruise) was very poor in her ability to teach even the basic steps.

I am not sure why NCL includes some classes as NCL-U and not all of them
Old March 8th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInBuffalo
I am not sure why NCL includes some classes as NCL-U and not all of them
I think it depends on who is preparing the Freestyle Daily on each ship

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska