Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Admiral

Default Freestyle Dining

Greetings,

This seems like aa very basic question but I can't find a clear definition here or on the NCL website. So here it goes:

What exactly is Freestyle Dining?

From what I can tell, you have the choice of either traditional "fixed" dining or Freestyling. With Freestyle you can choose to make a reservation each day our eat at a buffet. Most pax may not make a reservation more than 24 hours in advance (suites get 48 hours). Some restaurants are extra.

Am i close?

How can I tell which restaurants are cost included and which require an extra fee? We are looking at Gem for summer 2010. From everything I read whe is a wonderful vessel, and we are thinking mini-suite (no help in reservations, as I gather).

Thanks, sorry for the newbi question, but I just haven't seen a clear answer to the question.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Passenger

Freestyle is best described by saying that you can eat where and when (and as often ) you want. The main dining rooms are just like the ones on ships with assigned dining times. You just show up when you are ready and they seat you. The extra cost ones are listed for each ship on the NCL website.
Old March 12th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
What exactly is Freestyle Dining?

From what I can tell, you have the choice of either traditional "fixed" dining or Freestyling. With Freestyle you can choose to make a reservation each day our eat at a buffet. Most pax may not make a reservation more than 24 hours in advance (suites get 48 hours). Some restaurants are extra.
There is not traditional "fixed" dining on NCL. All the restuarants are Freestyle... dine when you want. Though if you like it is possible to make a reservation for the entire cruise if you find a particular service staff.

Personally, I love the variety of choice in the alternate restaurants... though they do carry a surcharge (which varies by restaurant).

And yes, you can make a reservation 24 hrs in advance in those alternate restuarants, and suite guests get to make reservations 48 hrs. in advance if they choose.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 12th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Captain

Freestyle dining (there is more to freestyle then just dining) can be confusing but in fact is very simple. Since you are considering the Gem I will describe it on that ship.

First foget all the alternative dining options The Gem like most ships has two main dining rooms like most ships. The difference to set seating times or table. Show up when you want between 5:30 and 10:00 pm with who ever you want. Table for 2 or a table to dine with the new friends you made onboard. You can even request to be seated with others that want to sit with others. Unlike anytime on Princess you will never be asked to sit with others unless you ask. If you want you can make a standing reservation in the main dining room at the same time but normally that is before 6:30 or after 8:30. As on land the busiest time is between 7 & 8.

You always have the option of the Garden Cafe Action Station Restaurant. This is not your normal ship buffet but rather a gathering of islands that prepare food just about to order or in small batches or carved to order

You also have the Blue Lagoon for hour "fast" food, poolside food options, and room service with a limited menu.

All of the above with no sercharge like any ship.

Now add to that the option to make reservations at a number of alternate dining venues. Reservation can be made the same day or up to hours in advance for all passengers, 8 hours in advance for Balcony and mini suite passengers, or for the whole cruise with the conceirge in a penthouse.

On the Gem you have an Itailian or Tex Mex for $10 both offer a lobster special. Ravioli and a lobster taco.

The Bistro at $15 is a french themed venue. Escargots to die for.

Cagney's steak house $20 with tbones,filet, rib eye, lamd & veal chops, sea bass, chicken.....for an extra $10 live lobster cooked to order or a giant porterhouse. Great shrimp cocktail and don't miss Cagney's fries made with white truffel oil

You have an Asian option with sushi bar $15

And finally for $25 the most fun dining at Tepaniaki

How much or little of Freestyle dining you take advantage of is up to you. Some folks eat in the Garden Cafe every day, others the main dining rooms like a traditional cruise, and then there are fpassengers like me that try to eat in every different venue on every cruise.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old March 13th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Admiral

Thanks everyone.

But I still don't see any mention of which restaurants are extra cost on the web site. Maybe we are just supposed to know that anything besides the main dining room and buffet/food court is extra?

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old March 13th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd
Thanks everyone.

But I still don't see any mention of which restaurants are extra cost on the web site. Maybe we are just supposed to know that anything besides the main dining room and buffet/food court is extra?
They do a poor job on the website detailing what the extra costs are. What you will see in the discriptions of the fidderent venues is an indication of extra cost

La Cucina Italian Restaurant
Located on Deck 12;
accommodates 96.
Casual Italian eatery reflecting a village Trattoria farmhouse kitchen. Exceptional value, worth the price.

Old March 13th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreguy
Quote:
Thanks everyone.

They do a poor job on the website detailing what the extra costs are. What you will see in the discriptions of the fidderent venues is an indication of extra cost

Located on Deck 12;
accommodates 96.
Casual Italian eatery reflecting a village Trattoria farmhouse kitchen. Exceptional value, worth the price.
/shoreguy, need your help, what is the email address for ordering booze? I thought it was eventscoordinator, but it isn't working...

I know you will have the answer.

Nita
Old March 13th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks everyone.

Located on Deck 12;
accommodates 96.
/shoreguy, need your help, what is the email address for ordering booze? I thought it was eventscoordinator, but it isn't working...

Nita
Try this it worked in Jan.

ShipCoordinatorGem@ncl.com

Old March 14th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks everyone.

Located on Deck 12;
accommodates 96.

Nita
Try this it worked in Jan.

ShipCoordinatorGem@ncl.com
thanks Jim.

Nita
Old March 14th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Captain

Nita

I was just checking that was the old email formate but might still work. This one did just work.

Sandra Agusti | Group Event Coordinator, Norwegian Gem

GroupEventGem@ncl.com

Old March 14th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Admiral

Shoreguy, the one you gave worked. thanks again

Nita
Old March 28th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Passenger

I am also a first time cruiser...are you saying that there is no charge for room service? Do you tip then or is it part of the $10 tip charge you have added to your bill every day?
Old March 29th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolaide
I am also a first time cruiser...are you saying that there is no charge for room service? Do you tip then or is it part of the $10 tip charge you have added to your bill every day?
I am an upcoming NCL cruiser, but I have sailed on both Carnival and RCCL. Room service is free, but a tip of $1 or $2 is appropriate upon delivery depending on how much you order. I always have it ready for when they arrive with my order. If you order coffee make sure to ask for cream and sugar or they don't bring any.

Kathy in Maine
Old March 29th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolaide
As posted a buck or two is in order. Keep in mind the tip charge went to $12pp the first of the year.