Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old March 13th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7
Default Boarding Process From New York

I'm going on my first cruise shortly out of New York. What can I expect once I arrive? Do they take luggage right away (I am traveling with another woman who is having arm problems right now and not sure how much she can carry). And do you have to remove your jacket, shoes, etc. like you do when going on a plane? I just would like to know what to expect.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old March 13th, 2009, 02:12 PM
shoreguy's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 793
Default

Things are a little crazy in NYC with the construction. Let me walk you through it. You used to be able to drive up to the middle deck, hand your bags to the porters at the pier, and then drive up the ramp at the end to park. You can click on the picture below for more shots of the pier so it will be familiar when you get there.



The problem that ramp is gone with new construction. You have two choices. Go directly to parking on top of the pier when you enter the area, pay, let the bomb sniffing dog check out your car, and pull over by the elevator and drop one person with the bags. Park the car and return to the bags and wait for a porter bringing up inbound passenger bags if you arrive early. You can drag you bags into the freight elevator and porters will meet you on the second level to check your bags. No rush getting your bags into the elevator since it is operated by a porter and they will wait while you load.

The elevators are on both sides on the entrance at the top of this picture



The other alternative is to proceed on the second level and not go direct to parking. Porters will greet you curbside but once they take your bags you have to exit the pier area at 9th, back onto westside, and re-enter the pier at 55th street. I would leave one person at the pier with the carryon bags.

Once inside like an airport the first thing you do is clear security. Not as sensitive. No need to take off shoes but your carry on and jackets do need to go threw the scanner.

Not a great picture but this is what you will see



Once you clear securtiy there are people directing you to the correct line, all, Laitudes, Balcony, Penthouse etc.

Once you check in they will give you your card and a boarding number. When they call your number you board the ship and start your vacation.
__________________
Next up - NCL Epic - Transatlantic 06/24/10 website
http://epicmadhatters.com/

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old March 13th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7
Default

What great info, but we are just getting dropped off without parking...if that's possible. Will that be easier for us?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old March 13th, 2009, 02:39 PM
shoreguy's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanxfan
What great info, but we are just getting dropped off without parking...if that's possible. Will that be easier for us?
I wish I knew that it would have saved a lot of typing

It is a snap - pull up in front of the pier on the second level, let the porter take your bags, tip him, and enter the pier.



On your return make sure you have the cell phone number for the driver to work out where and when to pick you up.
__________________
Next up - NCL Epic - Transatlantic 06/24/10 website
http://epicmadhatters.com/

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old March 13th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7
Default

Perfect..thanks so much. No I have a LITTLE less stress ().
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old March 13th, 2009, 03:55 PM
shoreguy's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 793
Default

One question when are you sailing and where are you coming from. If you are using the tunnels I can make entrance into the pier easier.
__________________
Next up - NCL Epic - Transatlantic 06/24/10 website
http://epicmadhatters.com/

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old March 15th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 46
Default

Shoreguy, thanks for the detailed post. We're driving down next Sat. and according to recent reports the ramp is still closed/gone so we'll head right up to the parking.

I've got my GPS programmed and Mapquest as a backup. Both show me going through the Lincoln Tunnel. For some reason Google Maps suggests using the GW bridge. Which is easier?

What you tunnel tip?

Dave
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old March 15th, 2009, 11:41 AM
shoreguy's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 793
Default

Dave

I usually come in thru the Lincoln Tunnel. since I am west of the city and south of the GW Bridge.

In your case I would take the bridge it is a straight shot into the pier. When you get to the NY side of the bridge just follow the signs for 9W SOUTH. 9w is the road the pier is on it is also refered to as westside Highway, 12 Ave. The entrance to the pier is a right south of 60th street. The ramps to the parking lot at 55th street.

I looked at the MapQuest directions and see why they take you to the Lincoln Tunnel. By taking 280 you cut off the angle and it would be a little shorter in miles.

If you decide to do that here is my tip. Here is what MapQuest says.

17: Stay STRAIGHT to go onto DYER AVE. 0.2 mi Map Avoid


18: Turn LEFT onto W 42ND ST. 0.4 mi Map Avoid


19: Turn RIGHT onto 12TH AVE/NY-9A N/WEST SIDE HWY. 0.7 mi Map Avoid


20: Turn LEFT onto W 55TH ST. 0.0 mi Map Avoid


21: End at 12th Ave & W 55th St New York, NY 10019

If you do that you get stuck trying to make a left turn across 4 lanes of 12 th ave and it sometimes takes 30 minutes.

When you exit the tunnel onto Dyer it really is a left taking you north to 42nd St (Dyer ends). Make the left onto 42nd. Do not go all the way to 12 th but rather get in the right lane and make a left on 10th Ave. Go north to 55th St and make a left (there are signs for the pier high on the poles). You now have a straight shot into the pier. First light is 11th and the second 12th that you cross and into the pier. No que for the left turn like the 12th ave approach. To your left are the ramps. There will be workers in the road directing traffic just follow the sighs to parking it will be the far right ramp.(same if you come from the GWB)
__________________
Next up - NCL Epic - Transatlantic 06/24/10 website
http://epicmadhatters.com/

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old March 15th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 46
Default

Both my GPS and Mapquest are routing to 711 12th Ave., not the entrance to the road going to the pier parking. Neither takes me all the way to 55th. I like your directions better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreguy

When you exit the tunnel onto Dyer it really is a left taking you north to 42nd St (Dyer ends). Make the left onto 42nd. Do not go all the way to 12 th but rather get in the right lane and make a left on 10th Ave. Go north to 55th St and make a left (there are signs for the pier high on the poles). You now have a straight shot into the pier. First light is 11th and the second 12th that you cross and into the pier. No que for the left turn like the 12th ave approach. To your left are the ramps. There will be workers in the road directing traffic just follow the sighs to parking it will be the far right ramp.(same if you come from the GWB)
I assume you mean make a right on 10th? [/i] That would take me north.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old March 15th, 2009, 10:44 PM
shoreguy's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davejohn
Both my GPS and Mapquest are routing to 711 12th Ave., not the entrance to the road going to the pier parking. Neither takes me all the way to 55th. I like your directions better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreguy

When you exit the tunnel onto Dyer it really is a left taking you north to 42nd St (Dyer ends). Make the left onto 42nd. Do not go all the way to 12 th but rather get in the right lane and make a left on 10th Ave. Go north to 55th St and make a left (there are signs for the pier high on the poles). You now have a straight shot into the pier. First light is 11th and the second 12th that you cross and into the pier. No que for the left turn like the 12th ave approach. To your left are the ramps. There will be workers in the road directing traffic just follow the sighs to parking it will be the far right ramp.(same if you come from the GWB)
I assume you mean make a right on 10th? [/i] That would take me north.
Correct that is why I don't work for MapQuest. I got you in the right lane making a left from there would be exciting since 10th is one way northbound.
__________________
Next up - NCL Epic - Transatlantic 06/24/10 website
http://epicmadhatters.com/

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old March 16th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreguy

Correct that is why I don't work for MapQuest. I got you in the right lane making a left from there would be exciting since 10th is one way northbound.
For a minute there I thought you owned a collision shop.

If I input the destination as the corner of 12th and 55th, my GPS also sends me up 10th instead of 12th.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old March 19th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 352
Default

Is there a 'best' airport,as far as convenience and ease of transfer to the port, LGA/ EWR/ JFK?
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old March 19th, 2009, 05:16 PM
shoreguy's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matelot
Is there a 'best' airport,as far as convenience and ease of transfer to the port, LGA/ EWR/ JFK?
Thanks
First I would find the best airfare. The closest is LGA with cabs about $35. It also has the most delays. EWR is next cloest. Travel time about the same since you don't have to go cross town. Car service or cab perhaps $70. EWR is the easiest to get around. JFK is the longest trip but has flat rate cab fare. .I need to check but I think it is $40 plus tolls and tip.
__________________
Next up - NCL Epic - Transatlantic 06/24/10 website
http://epicmadhatters.com/

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old March 19th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 352
Default

Thanks Shoreguy- EWR has the best rates so will go with that if we decide on Dawn.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
12th, 55th, 711, avenue, boarding, cruise, enter, gps, ncl, norwegian, ny, nyc, process, security, street

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I start the process? ddb18 Crewmembers 2 January 12th, 2008 12:33 PM
NCLA process keke1227 Crewmembers 0 January 8th, 2008 01:49 AM
NCL process ? Crooz Shore Excursions 1 January 16th, 2006 01:03 PM
New Debarkation Process??? cruisingbear Carnival Cruise Lines 11 May 16th, 2004 10:20 PM
Boarding process Joe Celebrity 4 November 25th, 2001 06:55 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:14 AM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1