Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 9th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Passenger

Default The Pearl is wonderful

We just completed a 7 day Caribbean voyage on the Pearl April 5. What a beautiful ship. I can hardly think of anything bad to say about it. We received great service, tasty food, fantastic entertainment, easy embarkation and disembarkation, and we were in one of the cheapest cabins on the ship, an inside cabin (rm. 8001) at the front of the ship. This is the first inside cabin we have ever had that actually had a decent size shower, with a sliding door! Room to actually shave your legs!! The shampoo/body wash/soap dispensers are great too -- no more reaching down for dropped soap.

This was our second experience with freestyle dining. Holland America attempted to do this on the Zuiderdam, much to our dissappointment. But the Pearl did it fantastically. We ate in two specialty restaurants, Teppanyaki ($25pp) and Le Bistro ($15pp). If you have ever been to a Benihana restaurant, you may want to skip the Teppanyaki. It's just not the same caliber. The French restaurant, Le Bistro, at a much cheaper rate, was phenomenal. We loved the food in the Garden Cafe buffet, and actually had dinner there one night, which we have never done on a cruise. The Indigo dining room and Summer Palace are the main dining rooms and serve the same menu. Indigo is much more intimate and quiet. Summer Palace is more like a large ballroom, and with many large tables, it can get a bit noisy. The decor in both is very nice!

There is free scooped ice cream in the Garden Cafe. I love coffee ice cream and they had it at least 3 times this trip.

We loved West Bay beach in Roatan. You can take a taxi there, and the driver will stay until you are ready to leave. We grabbed another couple to share a taxi to the beach, and got the driver to come down from $25pp to $15pp roundtrip. And you don't pay until you return to the ship.

If you have not been on the Pearl, you will not be dissappointed.
1990 Eastern Caribbean (NCL)
1994 Alaska (HAL)
2005 & 2007 West Caribbean/Mexico/Honduras (RCL)
2008 Southern Caribbean/Panama Canal (HAL)
2009 West Caribbean/Mexico/Honduras (NCL)
Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: The Pearl is wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminy
We just completed a 7 day Caribbean voyage on the Pearl April 5. What a beautiful ship. I can hardly think of anything bad to say about it. We received great service, tasty food, fantastic entertainment, easy embarkation and disembarkation, and we were in one of the cheapest cabins on the ship, an inside cabin (rm. 8001) at the front of the ship. This is the first inside cabin we have ever had that actually had a decent size shower, with a sliding door! Room to actually shave your legs!! The shampoo/body wash/soap dispensers are great too -- no more reaching down for dropped soap.

This was our second experience with freestyle dining. Holland America attempted to do this on the Zuiderdam, much to our dissappointment. But the Pearl did it fantastically. We ate in two specialty restaurants, Teppanyaki ($25pp) and Le Bistro ($15pp). If you have ever been to a Benihana restaurant, you may want to skip the Teppanyaki. It's just not the same caliber. The French restaurant, Le Bistro, at a much cheaper rate, was phenomenal. We loved the food in the Garden Cafe buffet, and actually had dinner there one night, which we have never done on a cruise. The Indigo dining room and Summer Palace are the main dining rooms and serve the same menu. Indigo is much more intimate and quiet. Summer Palace is more like a large ballroom, and with many large tables, it can get a bit noisy. The decor in both is very nice!

There is free scooped ice cream in the Garden Cafe. I love coffee ice cream and they had it at least 3 times this trip.

We loved West Bay beach in Roatan. You can take a taxi there, and the driver will stay until you are ready to leave. We grabbed another couple to share a taxi to the beach, and got the driver to come down from $25pp to $15pp roundtrip. And you don't pay until you return to the ship.

If you have not been on the Pearl, you will not be dissappointed.
I'm glad you enjoyed the Pearl so much. I too love Freestyle.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 11th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Passenger

Thank you so much for your review of the Pearl. We'll be sailing on her in October and appreciate all the information that is provided on this website. I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise.
Adventure of the Seas - 8/06
Navigator of the Seas - 8/05
Celebrity Century - 8/04
Old April 16th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Beginner

My husband and I will be on the Pearl in August headed for Alaska! Im so excited!
Old April 21st, 2009, 03:11 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevinjelli
My husband and I will be on the Pearl in August headed for Alaska! Im so excited!
Of course you're excited. Have a great time!!
Adventure of the Seas - 8/06
Navigator of the Seas - 8/05
Celebrity Century - 8/04
Old April 29th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Beginner

I can't wait.... I will be on her next Sunday heading to Alaska
Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hello,

Oh boy-oh-boy, we will be sailing on Pearl in 2010 on a 14-night cruise for the first time.

Sounds like the people who have been on Pearl enjoyed it very much.

Never have been on free-style and I have heard both good and bad reports.

My husband and I enjoy the cafeteria style dining. Hope that is also available on the Pearl.

elf
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Familiar Face

Glad you liked your cruise. My wife,daughter, & I will be on the Pearl this October. On the Pearl once befor in 2007. I don't think it has been in drydock since then so there should not be many changes.
Old May 5th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Admiral

It was so nice to see such a positive posting for the Pearl, Jiminy. I couldn't agree more. We've sailed 3 times on the Jewel, and once on the Pearl, and enjoyed them all. I've been especially impressed by the quality of the entertainment on both ships, and the food is always excellent IMO. Of course, the Pearl also has that snappy lounge/bowling alley to boot. But most of all, I think it was the ice cream bar we found in the Pearl's Garden Cafe, with at least 8 flavors available at all times. I can't remember how many sundaes I made for myself during our 9-day Pearl voyage, but I was surprised that they didn't run out of that delicious (Blue Bell) ice cream! Thanks for your comments, Jiminy. Glad you enjoyed yourself on your cruise.

Jack 8)
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old July 1st, 2009, 06:26 PM
Beginner

Default great times on pearl

we will be going on the Pearl for the second time in Oct. Went with my in-laws, husband and daughter the first time and had a ball. This time celebrating our 20th anniversary with 4 other couples. Can't wait!
We did a few of the specialty restaurants and enjoyed them. One thing I did learn, is they aren't like the regular restaurants. I wanted to create my own surf and turf meal at Cagney's and they charged me twice for it. Didn't realize it until we got the bill. But the cappuccino creme brulee was worth paying double!

favorite thing was not being rushed out of the cabins when it was time to disembark. How nice to have your last morning be as restful as the others!

Just sad they will be serving Pepsi this go around -- I"m a Diet Coke girl!
anne
Old July 1st, 2009, 07:34 PM
Familiar Face

Anne,
Which October,2009 sailing are you going on? My wife & I are on the October 31,2009 sailing.

Charles
Old July 1st, 2009, 07:39 PM
Familiar Face

Jimmie,
In Febuary,2007 we were in the room next to the one you were in last April. Room 8003. 1st time we had been in a room with the hall across the front of the ship.

Charles
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the Pearl earlier this year and had a great time. We are looking forward to going on this ship again next spring.
Old August 8th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInBuffalo
We were on the Pearl earlier this year and had a great time. We are looking forward to going on this ship again next spring.
Jim we are taking her in April on the repo cruise out of Los Angeles.

Nita
Old August 10th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Beginner

thanks for your glowing review of the pearl. will be sailing on her 10-24-2009.
in a group of eight. will pass on the info.
Old August 10th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Familiar Face

uncleone,
We will be on the Pearl on 10/31/09. Getting on the day you get off. Keep it in good shape for us.

Charles
Old August 22nd, 2009, 07:10 PM
Passenger

Thank you for the info on the Pearl. We will be on her August 2010 to Alaska. It will be our 15th cruise and 8th NCL.