Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 17th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Beginner

Default NCL Majesty Vs. Carnival Pride

I'm debating b/w booking a cruise on the NCL Majesty to Bermuda or the Carnival Pride to the Bahamas. My husband and I have been on one cruise with Celebrity (one of the smaller boats that traveled to the Caymen Islands and Jamaica), which we loved. My concern with the Majesty is the posts that say its old and the food isn't good. My husband and I are looking for a relaxing vacation with good food, drinks and hospitable workers. We don't need anything super fancy but want a satisfying experience. Any advice would be helpful. Is the food bad/ boring/ plentiful?
Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Admiral

No Contest.........Carnival Pride.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old April 18th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Passenger

It depends on if the destination or the ship is more important to you. The Pride will be a nicer ship, but Bermuda compared to the Bahamas is no contest. Bermuda is great. What about taking a different NCL ship to Bermuda, does it have to be the Majesty? I have not been on the Majesty, but it is smaller and older.
Old April 21st, 2009, 11:30 AM
Familiar Face

no comparison
take the Carnival ship
been on both
Kathy
Old April 28th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Passenger

Default Carnival Pride

I second the motion for the Carnival Pride. I've been on both ships (Majesty 2003, Pride 2005) as well, and the Pride gives a much better cruising experience.

Quick comparisons:

Staterooms size: larger on Pride
Dining: Majesty is not set up well for freestyle cruising, so you have an extended wait at either of the 2 dining rooms between 6:30 and 8:30 pm. Specialty restaurants on both were quite good
Activities: It seemed like there was more to do on the Pride, but maybe that was just a matter of taste. I remember the art auction being one of the primary activities on the Majesty - not one of my favorite things. The water slide on the Pride was a blast - and I'm in the 40+ age group.
Ship Maintenance: I remember a funky sewer smell from the Majesty throughout the ship.

Either way, time on the ocean is much better than time at the office!

Karen
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to jdolphins68
Default Majesty

I cannot compare the two but I just sailed the Majesty in March and I had a lovely time. The only thing I wish I had known more about the excursions before I left. And more about where we were going.

The dining is good in all the restaurants. It depends on what you prefer. I love the freestyle, its great. We found a group that we just loved eating with. The steak is wonderful the desserts are very rich, and you can have seconds if you like. We found the menu's to be almost the same. Except in the French restaurant. Which we heard both good and bad about.

The pool in March was too cold and so was the water so I recommend going at a later time. Hot tubs got crowded early with college kids drinking beer. At 9 am. But we had a great trip, oh and dancing is rough when the waters are a little rough...lol. It was better than a beer.

Hope you have a good time, The Majesty will be retired in October so if you get a chance its really pretty nice, but if you like better things don't go. don't try to pick on everything cause then you will be unhappy. It was an experience and I loved it. Am looking for a cruise to go on soon.

Jackie

Read and post cruise reviews