Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 24th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Yeoman

Default Is travel insurance ever MANDATORY when cruising with NCL?

I found this on NCLs UK-site:

Under the terms of our Booking Conditions all passengers travelling with us are required to have valid travel insurance in place.

Has anyone heared about that? Has anyone been stopped from cruising with NCL because they didn't had travel insurance?

It's not a problem for me, I always buy travel insurence when I shall cruise, but it should be interesting to know if anyone had been stopped from cruising! It's important to have insurance but I really think that it shall be up to the passenger to decide about it.
Old April 24th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Captain

I believe that is the law in the UK for any travel outside the UK. No requirement here in the States.

It is one of the reasons that many from the UK book with US agents. Not having insurance is a huge risk since the national health plan offers no services or coverage outside the UK. I recall a story of a guy from the UK stuck in Bermuda needing medical transport to get home and no coverage.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old April 24th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Yeoman

Within the European Union, citizens of the United Kingdom are covered, they are allowed to get the same healthcare in case of an emergency as a citizen of the country they are in. Of course it's not the same thing in the rest of the world!
Old April 27th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhag
Within the European Union, citizens of the United Kingdom are covered, they are allowed to get the same health care in case of an emergency as a citizen of the country they are in. Of course it's not the same thing in the rest of the world!
Erik:

All "British" travel providers must require insurance of those who book with them.

You really need to check your EU health care coverage because it, like many, U.S. and Canadian insurers will not cover you outside of the EU or in some parts of the world. The cruise ship is not considered part of the United Kingdom or the EU.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 27th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Yeoman

I don't really have to check my EU health care coverage since I always get travel insurence when I book a trip outside the EU. That also include when I book a cruise within the EU because I know that the ship isn't a part of the EU.

I always get insurence but I still think it should be up to the traveller to decide if they want it or not.