Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 1st, 2009, 11:50 PM
Passenger

Default Freestyle Cruising questions, thanks so much

Hi there, I am soon going on a last minute Scandanavia cruise onboard Norwegian Jade, am very excited to be cruising again, my 2nd cruise first having been on Liberty of the Seas with Royal Caribbean this past Fall.

Just have a few questions about the Freestyle concept. Is it reccomended to make a reservation each night for dinner once I choose a restaurant? I'm not a big believer in speciality restaurants but plan to try one and maybe another complimentary alternative as well as the dining rooms. We'll see. However for the dining rooms is it also suggested to have the dining rooms?

I am cruising as a single, when I enter the restaurant or dining room I've heard I can request I sit at a table with others, I do like being seated with others. The speciality restaurant I'm most interested in is Teppenyaki which as I understand is a big group affair with others and the chefs interacting with the diners, but if I go to to other restaurants and dining rooms can I sit with others?

Also I hear their disembarkation is easier? Looking forward to my first balcony stateroom which I hear gives other perks being a balcony guest ! Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2009, 03:02 AM
Yeoman

Normally it's not needed to make a reservation for the specialty restaurants, especially not if you are a little flexible about the time you shall eat. If you go to a restaurant and it's full, there is always a bar close where you can have a drink until they have a table for you!

I don't think that you can make a reservation for the main dining room. The lines to get a table are normally very short or non existing.

You can always request to sit with other but they may not be able to find people who wants to share. It's better if you can find someone during the day which you can make arrangements with for dinner.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:16 AM
Captain

No reservations except the specialty venues. Teppenyaki is a must make reservation. As Erik pointed out especially sailing out of the UK you can normally get into any restaurant without a reservation if you are flexible as to when you eat.

Yes you can request to be seated with others. That will only happen is if others ask as well unlike Princess where they keep trying to put us with others when none of us wanted to.

I have cruised Freestyle solo at least a dozen times and always had great company for dinner when I wanted it. Since nobody onboard has a set dinning time, location, or table mates you can enjoy dinner with anyone you meet. It is up to you to reach out and make the effort but it is worth it. You will never have to eat with anyone who's company you don't enjoy. Simple question "where is is everybody thinking about having dinner tonight?"

Enjoy the Jade. I was on her last year to Norway and the North Cape. You need to make a little effort to get the real value from Freestyle but it is worth it.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Passenger

Thank you very much for your help! I will do the Teppenyaki one for sure and then see how the rest of the dining plays out for me, thanks so much for all your help, greatly appreciated. I sail next weekend!
Old May 4th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckcruiser16
Thank you very much for your help! I will do the Teppenyaki one for sure and then see how the rest of the dining plays out for me, thanks so much for all your help, greatly appreciated. I sail next weekend!
Teppenyaki's is the hardest to get reservations for, so make sure you try early and be very flexible...The other you may want to consider: Le Bistro, or even the Italian restaurant. We usually do 3 specialty dinings on a 7 day cruise, sometimes only 2.

As for eating alone, yes, you can ask to be seated with others.

Nita
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

I will be taking my first NCL cruise this month. I was told it is a good idea to make a reservation in the main dining rooms so you don't have to wait on line - is this true?
Summit 11/01
Millennium 2/02
Mercury 11/02
Star Princess 3/03
Zuiderdam 8/03
Century 10/03
Voyager of the Seas 2/04
Regal Princess 7/04
Zaandam 12/04
Galaxy 9/05
Infinity 1/06
Jewel of the Seas 8/06
Zenith 1/07
Adventure of the Sea 9/07
Insigna 3/08
Solstice 11/08
NCL Jade 5/09
Diamond Princess 8/09
Oceania Ragetta 11/09
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiztime
I will be taking my first NCL cruise this month. I was told it is a good idea to make a reservation in the main dining rooms so you don't have to wait on line - is this true?
No it is not true unless you are a big party. Getting a table for 2 or 4 almost anytime is no problem. Keep in mind there might be a 10 or 15 minute wait at peck dining hours (6:30-7:30) but then you need to know they will not take reservations at that time either. Come earlier or later and everything should be fine. The other time that can be a bit busy is when the early show gets out.

Old May 17th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

You can in fact make reservations for the dining room, but only for certain hours. you can also make a standing reservation for the week with the same wait staff, though you will move about the room with them.
you do not HAVE to make a reservation however.

The Opposite of Love is not Hate, But Indifference
Old May 18th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Considering a NCL cruise

I really don't know much about the freestyle dining. I have read many things, mostly bad, and want to find out more.

We are considering a cruise next Febuary on the Pearl. My questions are these.

How many dining rooms are free?

What time do the eating venues open and close?

What time does NCL have their shows in the theater and are there 1 or 2?

How many dining rooms are open for breakfast and lunch?

Is there a buffet on board and is the food good?

What other things are you nickle and dimed on? Orange juice at breakfast, room service?

Thanks for your answers. Not trying to hijack the thread, just wanting to know about these things.
Carnival Triumph Feb 09
Island Princess coming in Nov. 2009

Old May 18th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Captain

I will try and answer a few of your questions.

We are considering a cruise next Febuary on the Pearl. My questions are these.

How many dining rooms are free?

Like most ships two main dining rooms and several smaller fast food venues like the Blue Lagoon and Bali Hai with free food.

What time do the eating venues open and close?

Different times but generally you can be seated in a main dining room from 5pm to 10PM. They close when the last passenger finishes.

What time does NCL have their shows in the theater and are there 1 or 2?

Main shows normally 2 a night like any other line. Some shows may only be once a night. And sometimes they do a show early one night and late another.
How many dining rooms are open for breakfast and lunch?

Is there a buffet on board and is the food good?

Sorry no Buffet but rather an Action Station Restaurant. Which in fact is a better version of a buffet with salad stations, carvinging stations, pasta stations etc. Most food made in small batches to to order.

What other things are you nickle and dimed on? Orange juice at breakfast, room service?

Not sure why you think there is nickle and diming is going on any more so then any line. Room service is free. Juice in the morning is free unless you want to upgrade to fresh squeezed fruit or vegetable juices.