Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 23rd, 2009, 05:10 PM
Passenger

Default Dawn to Bermuda

Is there anyone out there who has had a good experience on this ship...It seems as if there are only bad reviews and I am getting nervous!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2009, 05:36 PM
Admiral

I was on the Dawn in Jan 09 and found it to be very satisfactory. While I do not like the configuration as well as the Jewel Class ships there was nothing to keep us from having a great time. Enjoy!!
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old May 23rd, 2009, 07:44 PM
Passenger

Thanks...at least I know someone survived without such negativity
Old May 24th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgershenof
Thanks...at least I know someone survived without such negativity
I "survived" as well. 7 times on the Dawn and number 8 booked for August. Not sure about what reviews you are reading but many passengers are voting with their $$$. The Dawn has the highest repeat cruisers of any NCL ship. They must be doing something right.

Having cruised on every NCL except the Star the Dawn remains my favorite. There are things I like better about the newest ships there are more things I like better about the Dawn. In general the interior space of the Dawn is better then the newer ships and the external space better on the latter.

If you have specific questions I would be glad to give you my opinion and opinion is all one person can provide on a board or in a review.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old May 24th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Admiral

I will second what Shoreguy is saying about the repeat business. You can find negatives on anything if you look for them. Where have you read only negatives?

Nita
Old May 24th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Passenger

Thank you all...you have saved me from those awful "gripers" We are now looking forward to our cruise. We are sailing on July 12th to Bermuda. Anyone else on that sailing?
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Passenger

Default The Dawn

Well if you want to only hear the good things thats fine. I post the good and the bad. We where on the pearl last month and that was the best cruise we have ever been on. I do have to add we stayed in a penthouse on the pearl and an inside room on the dawn. So maybe we where looking for the ships to be the same.
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Passenger

How can anyone expect to compare the experience of an inside cabin to a penthouse....even if you were on the Queen Mary, an inside is an inside..I don't mind hearing both sides, but the first dozen things I read were all negative and that's not what you want to hear about once you've given your money and committed.

We have been of 5 cruises, and although we are not experts, we do have some frame of reference for cruising. However there is never any excuse for poor service. Afterall service is what you pay for on a cruise .
Old May 25th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Passenger

Default The Dawn

We did the penthouse when its just the two of us, but when we take all the kids we do a cheap room. They dont enjoy the little extras we come to love. The shows on the ship where great. What we didnt like was the food in the main food hall and the service was poor... We had two rooms and both had service issues. We over look alot but this ship does not come near the others we have been on. We are going again in October and will do the pearl. Will never book the Dawn again I dont care how cheap it is..
Old May 25th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Passenger

Don't blame you for not taking the kids into the penthouse....How old are they? How often do you vacation and do you always cruise? You have apparently been on many more cruises than we have so I will respect your opinion. Since I have none yet regarding this ship I can only hope for the best.

Where are you cruising next?
Old May 25th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Captain

Default Re: The Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by genmech1
We did the penthouse when its just the two of us, but when we take all the kids we do a cheap room. They dont enjoy the little extras we come to love. The shows on the ship where great. What we didnt like was the food in the main food hall and the service was poor... We had two rooms and both had service issues. We over look alot but this ship does not come near the others we have been on. We are going again in October and will do the pearl. Will never book the Dawn again I dont care how cheap it is..
Well the menus have changed. Not sure how you better then Lobster, Prime rib, steak, more, plus a chefs special every night in the main dining rooms.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5120384...7618693413205/

Old May 26th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Passenger

Default The Dawn

when we took the kids this time there was my 5 kids and 1 boyfriend. We cruise every year. This year with my work slow we did 2 so far and one more in October. We felt the food in the main hall was not very good. They had lobster but it was just small chunks mixed with other stuff. The prime rib was ok but you can get the same cut in the garden cafe. We did like the pay chinese and the french was a great meal. We have been on NCL and Carnival. We are going to try royal this time.
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Passenger

we have sailed on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Princess. Our favorite was always Royal Caribbean. However we have never sailed "Freestyle Dining" before so we are expecting better food in the restaurants that charge the additional fees. But we are not fools either so we will probably eat in the dining rooms as well. Is there are charge only for dinners? Are they open for other meals? What about the grill by the pool? Do they charge?

Sailing NCL to Bermuda on the 12th of July.
Thanks for all the info
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Captain

The two main dining rooms never charge. The buffet, outdoor grills, and Blue Laggon no charge either. One or both of the main dining rooms are open for breakfast and lunch as well.

You are in luck. They just started new menus for the main dining rooms. Each of the 2 will have its own different menu. They stay the same with the addition of a chefs special each night like a restaurant on land. The good news you get the option of a couple of Lobster dishes every night, prime rib, well take a look for yourself

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5120384...7618693413205/

Here is a link to last week's Freestyle Dailys giving you a taste of what will be happening onboard.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3872878...7618783303086/

Old June 2nd, 2009, 02:17 PM
Beginner

do you have a partner to go with? When are you going?
Old June 2nd, 2009, 06:53 PM
Passenger

yes my husband is my partner in everything and he and I are taking the cruise on July 12th from NY to Bermuda....Anyone else on this sailing?
Old June 14th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Passenger

Quote:
yes my husband is my partner in everything and he and I are taking the cruise on July 12th from NY to Bermuda....Anyone else on this sailing?
We just booked today! It is our first time on NCL.
Old June 14th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Passenger

Meercat mom,
Are you sailing on the 12th? WE are too and this us our first NCL Cruise....
Old June 15th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Meercat mom,
Are you sailing on the 12th? WE are too and this us our first NCL Cruise....
Yes!!
Old June 15th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Passenger

Where in Setauket do you live? We have friends who live out there....
Old June 17th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Where in Setauket do you live? We have friends who live out there....
.....not too give out too much info on a public board, but...near Benners Farm. I am starting to get excited about this cruise. (Despite reviews!)
Old June 18th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Passenger

I understand about your privacy issue...I am getting excited too. Looking forward to some serious R & R