Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:55 PM
Familiar Face

Default New cruiser

Hi I am a new cruiser I want to take my family on a cruise and really am not sure where to start. I think we want to go the first week in December. Is it better to go thru a ta or the cruise line for the best deals? What is the best for kids? My kids are 9 and 14 and well where should we go? I think we want to do a 5-7 days for about 1200 -1500 is that a feasable amount??
april
Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2009, 09:48 PM
Admiral

Default Re: New cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by april_4_us
Hi I am a new cruiser I want to take my family on a cruise and really am not sure where to start. I think we want to go the first week in December. Is it better to go thru a ta or the cruise line for the best deals? What is the best for kids? My kids are 9 and 14 and well where should we go? I think we want to do a 5-7 days for about 1200 -1500 is that a feasable amount??
april
April, I would certainly recommend, for a first time cruiser you use an TA. Of course I say that cause I am one, but even if I wasn't I woudl still feel this way. Are you talking 1200 to 1500 for all of you? if so you are probable looking at a 5 day cruise, which is fine for a first time cruiser. As for best deals, I have never heard of Travel agent having higher prices than the cruise line direct and sometime they have better prices.
Where to cruise is so subjective: probably in your situation I woud say a 5 day cruise out of Florida,depending on where you live. I do want to add, there are other costs for cruising other than the basic cruise prices, but how much you spend is up to you. I have known of a few families who have spent only the amount of tips on the cruise and others who have spent twice what the cost of the cruise. Make sure you budget and stick to it as closely as you can.

The kids will have a great time and early Dec is pretty much low season with lots of really good deals.

Hope this helps you a little, enjoy your cruise.
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Trip
Admiral

My advice would to: figure out what your favorite port would be, and then see what ships go there...Your kids would love Carnival and RCI's newer ships.....NCL has a wonderful kids area,I viewd it, when I was on the Gem..so much to do, they will always have a smile....

"If" you can do a seven, go for it..those 2 extra days, make a difference, when you all realize, just how much fun you are having....

Come back to see us with any questions....look at our reviews of the ships you hone in on, and do your homework.....we will help at every turn, if you need us Enjoy the planning, it's half the fun!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 5th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks for the advice so far I am working on the items you spoke of so far and I found a girl who I know that is a TA in town so she is working on a few things for me. I am so excited so far.
I am sure there are many more questions to come.
april
Old June 8th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Familiar Face

Can anyone tell me if there is a price adjustment policy? If I book at 449 and it goes down to 369 can I get a credit?

Also is there a better inside state room than others?

april
Old June 8th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by april_4_us
Can anyone tell me if there is a price adjustment policy? If I book at 449 and it goes down to 369 can I get a credit?

Also is there a better inside state room than others?

april
yes and no. If the price for the same catagory drops before final payment is due you can get a price adjustment. If that happens after final payment chances are you will not. Not unusal to have last minute deals to fill the ship but normally those prices are only availble for new bookings with a max of 2 in a cabin.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska