Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 19th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Admiral

Default New to NCL

Hello all, we have never sailed on NCL and I received a good quote. I am interested to understand a few details if someone would be so kind. Is it true NCL is open seating for dinner and no formal nights? Again any additional info would help Thanks, Mike
Old June 19th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Mike
Yes and Yes
Any questions you have just shoot me an email and I will do my best.
We like NCL but as with Carnival some ships are better than others.
J&K
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old June 19th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Admiral

Jim, that is true of all lines. I enjoyed the Jewel of the sea very much in the Baltic, but the Radiance to Hawaii was not that great. I think if the weather had been better I might have enjoyed that trip more but nine seas in rough seas and cool weather is not much fun. We are looking at the NCL Sun going to Mexico round trip from San Francisco in late September. If you know anything about this specific ship please let me know. Take care, Mike
Old June 19th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Admiral

Jim, that is true of all lines. I enjoyed the Jewel of the sea very much in the Baltic, but the Radiance to Hawaii was not that great. I think if the weather had been better I might have enjoyed that trip more but nine seas in rough seas and cool weather is not much fun. We are looking at the NCL Sun going to Mexico round trip from San Francisco in late September. If you know anything about this specific ship please let me know. Take care, Mike
Old June 20th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Captain

Mike

It is true they have open seating but unlike Princess they don't try and put you at large tables with other passengers. The new ship dining rooms have all been set up with lots of tables for 2/4/6 and not the traditional 8/10.

The specialty restaurants take reservations but you can still take a shot at just showing up. Most carry a 10-25 dollar surcharge.

Resort casual is perfect every night. They do have a "dress up or not " night for those that want to dress for pictures. No need to pack a suit or tux. I normally throw in a sports coat just to kick it up a notch for those that elect to dress up. Perhaps < 25% will elect to throw on a suit or tie.

What ship are you thinking about ? I have been on them all

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old June 20th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Captain

Welcome to the world of whatever!
We have sailed the Sun three times and are booked on it for the Baltic next year. I have done a review of each of our sailings so you may check out the MagnoliaBlossom or Georgia cruise reviews.

We really enjoyed the Sun. There is a great sports bar - if you a beer drinker, they have 20 some types of beer. Many of which are not available at other bars throughout the ship. The ice cream station is just inside the buffet doors near the pool - great for ducking in for a quick lick without traipsing through the restaurant.

The layout is easy to navigate and we have always found the staff to be friendlier than average.

Any particulars, just drop me a pm and I'll be happy to answer - helps to keep my addiction under control.

Enjoy!
Old June 20th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreguy
Mike

It is true they have open seating but unlike Princess they don't try and put you at large tables with other passengers. The new ship dining rooms have all been set up with lots of tables for 2/4/6 and not the traditional 8/10.

The specialty restaurants take reservations but you can still take a shot at just showing up. Most carry a 10-25 dollar surcharge.

Resort casual is perfect every night. They do have a "dress up or not " night for those that want to dress for pictures. No need to pack a suit or tux. I normally throw in a sports coat just to kick it up a notch for those that elect to dress up. Perhaps < 25% will elect to throw on a suit or tie.

What ship are you thinking about ? I have been on them all
good points Shoreguy. One of the problems we had with Princess was the large table thing everynight. It is fine with traditional seating, when you will have time to build up a reporte with your table mates, but when they change each night it isn't as enjoyable.

Mike, each line has its strength and weaknesses, one of the things we like the most about NCL is the open dining and lack to formal nights. With the cost of flying, bag charges etc now, the lighter we can travel the happier we are.

Nita
Old June 21st, 2009, 06:31 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreguy
Mike

Personally I wish NCL made more of an effort to encourage sharing a table. I find it strange when I'm handed a pager and told there will be a 20 minute wait for a table when I can see empty tables for 4 or 6. Even telling the hostess we're willing to share doesn't usually help.

I don't mind meeting new people. Even if they are jerks it's only for an hour or so. We shared a table on the Gem with 2 elderly British women who started out very quiet and reserved. By the end of dinner they had us in hysterics with their stories. It was a delightful dinner.

It almost seems like sharing is more common on European cruises.
Old June 21st, 2009, 10:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Personally I like being able to just sit with my family, even if I have a bit of a wait.
Norwegian Dream October 2008 (Bermuda)
Norwegian Spirit September 2009 (Bermuda)
Caribbean Princess May 2010 (Caribbean)
Old June 21st, 2009, 10:32 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to ludiandrade

shoreguy wrote:
Mike

I have sailed Princess many times recently and they DO NOT attempt to place you in a large table mandatory. You are asked how many in your party always. We travel alone and have never had any problem with our table for 2. We have had to wait with a pager at times but very very few.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:29 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludiandrade
shoreguy wrote:
Mike

I have sailed Princess many times recently and they DO NOT attempt to place you in a large table mandatory. You are asked how many in your party always. We travel alone and have never had any problem with our table for 2. We have had to wait with a pager at times but very very few.
Everyones experence is different. Both times on Princess they always first tried to seat use with others unless we objected. One night on my LAST Princess cruise even after we said we did not want to eat with others they took us to join 6 others. :evil: Not saying you can't get a table for two. The difference NCL will never try and seat you with others unless you request it and only with others that have requested the same. The longest wait might be for those looking to to paired up.

Old June 22nd, 2009, 06:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludiandrade
shoreguy wrote:
Mike

Well this certainly has changed in exactly 12 months. We were never given an option and every night we were at a table with 8 people. In fact there were almost no smaller tables except a few for 2 or 4. They were pre-reserved...

Nita
Old June 23rd, 2009, 12:53 AM
Admiral

Thanks for the information, Does NCL do room service? I enjoy the coffee in the morning and I conceder room service a real treat. Thanks, Mike
Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:00 AM
Admiral

Hiya Mike!!!
Yes they do room service, not a problem. We sailed on the Sun a few years back and she s a nice ship. The thing I really like about NCL is the wide variety of eating venues on board. I try to budget extra so I can take advantage of all of them. Teppanyaki, Le Bistro, Cagneys Steak House are all good choices. We also enjoy the sushi and asian fusion as well. There is also Blue Lagoon which is open 24/7 and has great wings and mac & cheese. and other good choices if you just want a quick bite or a snack.

If you find that you like the Sun and Freestyle suits you, you might want to consider one of their newer ships like the Gem, Jewel or Pearl. We like the Pearl a lot and will be on the Jewel for 2 weeks in October.

I'm a big fan of NCL's longer repo cruises in the Spring and Fall. One thing about NCL is their inside cabins are quite small. Balconies seem to have a lot more room and we generally prefer a mini suite. It's large enough and very comfortable.

Hope we can sail together again soon.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:33 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMike
Thanks for the information, Does NCL do room service? I enjoy the coffee in the morning and I conceder room service a real treat. Thanks, Mike
Mike, they sure do, we too like our coffee and juice. they do have the small pots in the cabin and offer Folgers coffee, it makes about 4 small cups, but room service is still nice.

Nita
Old June 23rd, 2009, 11:16 AM
Captain

Quote:
Hwere is the breakfast room service menu. Hang on the door at night. They call before they deliver in the morning.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5120384...7618693413205/

Old June 23rd, 2009, 01:32 PM
Yeoman

shoreguy, do they still call before they deliver? Our butler always just rang on the door when she should deliver breakfast, is it different on different ships?
Old June 23rd, 2009, 02:47 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhag
shoreguy, do they still call before they deliver? Our butler always just rang on the door when she should deliver breakfast, is it different on different ships?
Butlers normally just ring on the door but room service calls before knocking on the cabin door.

Old June 23rd, 2009, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Thanks all of you, this was a big help. Mike
Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks all of you, this was a big help. Mike
I also strongly advise you to add $150 to your cruise budget and experience as many of the alternative restaurants as you can. It will greatly enhance your cruise and give you some of the best dining at sea.

Leave the tux at home. You can even leave the jacket at home but it is still good to dress CC casual in the restaurants.

Enjoy your cruise. NCL is my favorite cruise line.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me