Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 19th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Norwegian Majesty

I have previously only sailed Carnival, but the Majesty in October out of Philly to Bermuda where it stays in port for four days really caught my eye.

I really like Carnival Conquest Class ships - Does anyone know how the Majesty would compare?
Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Admiral

Unfortunately the Majesty would not come close to a Carnival Conquest class ship. It is the NCL version of the Carnival Holiday.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old June 20th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Depending on what you are expecting, you could be thrilled of disappointed with her. NO, she isn't the same as the Conquest class. She is an older ship, about to be retired from NCL and has the charm of older ships, but the drawbacks as well. To enjoy sailing a ship like the Majesty you will need to enjoy some nogtalga and remember what you are paying.

Nita
Old June 21st, 2009, 01:42 PM
Admiral

Default NCL/ROYAL MAJESTY

The Majesty is unlike any ship your talking about.. the worst that happened to her was when NCL bought her they cut her in half and added over 200 more cabins, another pool, dining room and a few other things.. It is not a "cookie" cutter ship.. it has a unique personality.. It's not a Celebrity, not a Royal Caribbean, Holland America..not even one of the newer NCL..BUT it has the ability to go to Bermuda and go through the 'CUT" and sit in St. George which is so preferable and charming.. I can't tell you what the staff is like or the dining anymore.. (have been on that ship more than 12 times) but the staff liked the fact the kitchen isn't far from the tables..Sadly, the public wants bigger and bigger ships with bowling alleys, rock climbing and ice skating rinks.. but there is/was a place for a charming ship like the Majesty... and if this is their last year.. I'm sorry.. Sure she might be run down, but its going to beautiful Bermuda and when you can go on any cruise now and it stays at least overnight in a port.. that is a bargain..
Old June 22nd, 2009, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have sailed the Conquest, and toured the majesty, pre and post stretch.
If you are used to more of an open style ship, this is not a ship I think you will be happy with...For me the small "atrium" was claustraphobic, and though it sailed from my back door, I made a decision, from my tours, I would not sail her...jmho.....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 24th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Familiar Face

We are sailing on Majesty 13 Sep from Philly, RT to Canada. I understand that the cabins may be a little small.

A couple years ago, we sailed Philly-Bermuda, on NCL Crown? sister ship to Majesty (later sold). The greatest part of the cruise itself was the ship going thru the narrow passage into St. George! You could almost reach out the side of the ship and touch the sides of the cut. Almost like going thru a canal lock.

PapaBear

Greek Islands
SS Norway - eastern Carib - 2002
Celebrity Summit - 2006 14 nights - Alaska to LA
NCL Crown - 2007 - Philly - Bermuda

Sept 2009 - 10 nights - Canada & NE from Philly
Old July 13th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Beginner

Default have sailed both conquest class and majesty....

i have sailed on both the conquest class (carnival ships) and the majesty, dream, crown and dawn (closer to conquest class ncl) on NCL and have enjoyed my cruise on all ships. The Majesty had (hope it still has- since I am cruising her in 96 days) friendliest crews on NCL. Carnival was my first cruise, and we cruised the Fantasy, that was closer to the Majesty than the Conquest, but that was wonderful and had a great crew too. I enjoy a smaller number of passengers, the abiltiy to go to st georges and less "pay extra for" resturants. its nice to have options, but the Dawn and the newer NCL ships can get pretty expensive when you start adding 15.00 a head for each of the extra pay resturants. If you go with an open mind I think you will love the Majesty - we have.
Old July 13th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Default ST. GEORGE AND THE CUT

Think it was five years ago that we were back..and the "powers that be" will not further widen the cut so only a lucky few get to stay in St. George. If you have a chance.. wander the back streets.. lovely homes and gardens