Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Beginner

Default Epic- Inside cabin for family of 4; is it big enought?

We have booked a cruise on the Epic for a family of 4 for August 2010, and are affraid it might be to crowded for 4. We already did 2 cruises without the childrens and are bringing them for the first time this summer on the Carnival Freedom, but the inside stateroom are 185 sqf; but on the Epic they are only 128 sqf. Has anyone ever travel on NCL in inside cabin with a family of four? Our kids will be 11 & 13 in August 2010.
Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have always stayed in an inside room on NCL ships, granted with just 2 of us (this September, there will be 3 of us). You can have 2 beds on the bottom, push them together and then have a bunk bed, or trundle bed. That was the set up when my coworker sailed with NCL last month. It was with her husband and 2 girls (12 and 15). How much time will you really be in there? I know for me it is just to sleep!
Norwegian Dream October 2008 (Bermuda)
Norwegian Spirit September 2009 (Bermuda)
Caribbean Princess May 2010 (Caribbean)
Old July 14th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Beginner

Did you friend havw enought place for his luggage? My concern isn't the sleeping arrangements but the place to store our luggage and at least be able to move around without falling over someone. We aren't in the room often other than bedtime. Once the beds are in place is there still walking room to go to the bathroom?
Old July 14th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Captain

The Epic inside cabins are about 20 SQF smaller then the ones on the Jewel class ships. It will be very tight if you can really book one for 4 passengers. The booking engine let's you but the cabin detail only shows 3 beds.

•128 SQF.
•Shower
•Crib
•Convertible Lower Beds
•Pullman Bed
•Duvet
•Refrigerator
•Hair Dryer
•Telephone
•Safe
•Television
•Inside
•Sitting Area
•Tea and Coffee Maker

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old July 15th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Admiral

I have cruised with hubby and two kiddo's many times and my experience is that it has been worth it to pay more for a minisuite or two connecting cabins on NCL, because their inside cabins can be sooooo small and tight. Anyone who has to get up to the bathroom in the middle of the night is literally going to be climbing over bodies to go potty. You will have two beds below and probably a chair that makes out in to a bed/cot that configuration will probably eat up every inch of your floor space and then the pullman will come out from the ceiling/wall. Not fun, especially when faced with the possibility of waking small children in the middle of the night by accident, and then getting them to fall back to sleep.
The luggage issue will be the least of your problems. Either use sizes that fit inside of each other or stow what you can under the beds and give the rest to your steward to store for you.
Carnival's inside staterooms are much larger than NCL's. The only decently laid out inside stateroom we've had on NCL was on the Sun. The rest were sardine cans. If the Epic is even smaller than the ones on the Jewel class ships, I would try to find an alternative.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old July 15th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Your children are not young, 11 and 13. My coworker that cruised had no problem with the 4 of them in the room. If price is no issue, sure, spring for a larger room, but if it is, I would say you could make do. You're only there to sleep! I would sleep on my suit case if needed! To make more room, I always unpack (I bring extra hangers) and hang up clothes in the closet, use the drawers and store the luggage under the bed, bottom of closet or unde rthe vanity. I bet you can make it work!
Norwegian Dream October 2008 (Bermuda)
Norwegian Spirit September 2009 (Bermuda)
Caribbean Princess May 2010 (Caribbean)