Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 27th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Captain

Default NCL now offers the option to prepay service charges.

Not sure why I would give up my money early but many have been asking for this for a long time. I guess it is nice to get off the ship with as little as possible showing up on the credit card bill to drain the joy of the cruise.

The following appeared on my edocs Friday

NCL now offers you the ability to pre-pay your Onboard Service Charges of $12 per person per day for guests over the age of 3. Please contact your travel professional to add to your reservation. See our brochure or www.ncl.com for details

Today this showed up.

From NCL.com FAQs.

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge?
The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

How much is the charge?
Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account.

Are service charges across the board for all guests?
All guests 3 years or older.

How do I prepay my service charges?
Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation. If you have not made final payment this will be included in your final payment amount or if final payment has already been made we will require full payment at the time it is added.

At what point in the booking process can the prepaid charges be added?
They can be added at anytime up to 24 hours prior to sailing.

Why would I prepay my service charges?
The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board.

If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable?
Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable.

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?
Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board reception desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2009, 08:36 PM
Captain

Well, I suppose if they were prepaid it would be more difficult to remove from you on board bill

The only real reason I could see for doing it would be if you were gifting a cruise to someone. I've given my manager a cruise for the last two years. On Carnival I could pay them in advance on NCL I just gave her an envelope with enough to cover the tips.

But, I suppose some people like to pay everything upfront and just have the expense out of the way.
Old July 31st, 2009, 11:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Blossom
Well, I suppose if they were prepaid it would be more difficult to remove from you on board bill

The only real reason I could see for doing it would be if you were gifting a cruise to someone. I've given my manager a cruise for the last two years. On Carnival I could pay them in advance on NCL I just gave her an envelope with enough to cover the tips.

But, I suppose some people like to pay everything upfront and just have the expense out of the way.
It's a nice option for those that like to reduce the last day "sticker shock". I personally would rather hold on to my money until I need to spend it rather than the cruise line holding it.

Magnolia: Can I be your manager? Please! Please!

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 1st, 2009, 06:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Yesterday I had my TA prepay our service charges. Once less expense to pay in the end. For me it is nice to have as much done up front because my GF and I also have a large bill at the end of a cruise.
10-2004 Majesty Of The Seas- Bahamas
10-2006 Majesty Of The Seas- Bahamas
12-2006 Enchantment Of The Seas- Western Carib.
05-2008 Monarch Of The Seas- Baja Mexico
09-2009 NCL Sky- Bahamas
03-2010 Celebrity Century- Western Carib.
10-2010 Majesty Of The Seas- Bahamas
10-2010 Liberty Of The Seas- Coco Cay
11-2010 Freedom Of The Seas- Labadee, Haiti
11-2010 Monarch Of The Seas- Bahamas
Old August 2nd, 2009, 08:33 PM
Captain

Mike, you're waaay too sane to work for my company!

I too like to hang on to my money til the bitter end but different strokes for different folks

Speaking of sticker shock - how do you know when you've had way too much fun on your cruise? When the final bill won't fit under the door

Enjoy!
Old August 3rd, 2009, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Default BIG DEAL

Don't know what the big deal is about pre-paying...Friends pre-paid on another cruise line and pulled ALL the tips with what they felt was good reason and handed out envelopes to those they felt deserved it.Service person would have to be pretty bad (just found one, but Purser does't get tip)..lol to withhold the small amount for being at our beck and call.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:16 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Speaking of sticker shock - how do you know when you've had way too much fun on your cruise? When the final bill won't fit under the door
Ain't it the truth!

Old August 4th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Nope I dont like to pre pay, and I do use the option of adjusting tips - service charges if I feel it is warranted, and most times I dont have to, but I have had to and I made clear why, and I only did so after problems with certain staff were not corrected. It's a good option to use and I always make clear who and why I am removing tips for, they can figure out the ditribution themselves after that.