Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 9th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to vi reynolds
Default Pride of America - Hawaii cruise Oct 09 honeymoon gift?

DH and I are currently shopping around for a wedding gift for my brother, who's also his best friend and his fiancee. They live in London but they will be coming to visit us in NYC (we can meet them there as we live in NY state).

We have never travelled with NCL before but a friend suggested it as an idea.

This cruise sails from Honolulu on 3rd October, which datewise is great for them. My mum knows about this (i.e. that we want to give them a surprise honeymoon so that they don't book something else themselves).

Anyone has gone on this ship or on a similar itinerary (Honolulu, Kahului -maui- Hilo, Kona, Nawiliwili -kauai- and Honolulu. Neither of us has been to Hawaii either.

Also, since this is a wedding gift we are happy to pay for a suite but is it worth it really in terms of extra luxury? I would like to give them something special but they are not the type to require lots and lots of space. Any thoughts, comments, ideas most welcome.
Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Passenger

We've sailed on NCL twice with a third cruise scheduled next month on that line. Obviously, we have no complaints. However, I haven't heard anything good about the NCL cruises in Hawaii. They have special permission to remain solely in the US and have American crews. Check that out carefully.

In terms of accommodations--frankly if someone gave me a cruise as a gift, I'd take a cot behind the galley! Seriously, the balcony rooms (Cat B) are quite nice and even the outside rooms are comfortable. Hope this helps.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 10th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks so much StormKat, now what do you mean by having heard nothing good about the Hawaii trips on this liner. I know you mentioned this permission etc but not having cruised a huge amount, I'm not entirely sure what you mean in terms of how this would affect the actual passengers. I can be a bit thick sometimes!

Now, thanks for the tip on the rooms. Basically another option we have but it was very pricey for the penthouse suite was a Celebrity Caribbean one but the penthouse is truly spectacular. This one sails from Miami so it would be a lot cheaper in air fares, so I guess with that saving we could stretch out to the suite because as I said it is really memorable. I wouldn't book it for myself though but for a honeymoon gift, maybe...

Now, for what I saw in the NCL all rooms were nice but the main difference between the top ones and the ones just below was room more than actual luxury, so I thought maybe the balcony one would be just as nice, especially given the extra cost of fares to Honolulu. Of course, since we are buying the trip for them, we don't expect them to have to fork out the money for the flights themselves.

I know what you mean if someone gave me a cruise as a gift! Yeah, me too, I would go in any cabin, of course I would and I would be very grateful! It seems generous on our part, I know, but DH was very close to my family since before we got together, so it's a very long story that goes back a long time.

Thanks so much for your input though. I will check about NCL in Hawaii.
Old August 10th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Captain

We did this cruise in April of 08. Things have improved after NCL reduced their number of ships in HI. For more particular info check out my reader review.

It is a wonderful cruise and I would gladly do it again.
Old August 10th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

I cruised to Hawaii in Sept. 2006 on NCL Wind. It was an amazing experience, it was an older ship, and isn't used for Hawaii anymore. We stayed in a tiny inside room, but it was perfect for us, we were hardly there! Let me know if you have any questions about ports, shore excursions etc. My best piece of advice, plan a pre-cruise stay. Helps adjust to time change and gets you relaxed and ready for vacation! 3 days in Wakiki was amazing!
Norwegian Dream October 2008 (Bermuda)
Norwegian Spirit September 2009 (Bermuda)
Caribbean Princess May 2010 (Caribbean)
Old August 10th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks very much everyone!

Decisions, decisions... the trouble is that it's not for us for we want it to be really special for the lucky couple.
Old August 10th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Blossom
We did this cruise in April of 08. Things have improved after NCL reduced their number of ships in HI. For more particular info check out my reader review.

It is a wonderful cruise and I would gladly do it again.
Thanks so much for pointing me to your review, hun.