Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 11th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Specialty Restaurants

A few of their specialty restaurants offer the 1/2 price deals from 6PM to 7PM. I think you have to have reservations but I am not certain. We made reservations each evening because there isn't really any such thing as "anytime dining". You get to the restaurant and have to wait if you don't have a reservations. You can only make reservations for pre-set times.

Marion
Summit 11/01
Millennium 2/02
Mercury 11/02
Star Princess 3/03
Zuiderdam 8/03
Century 10/03
Voyager of the Seas 2/04
Regal Princess 7/04
Zaandam 12/04
Galaxy 9/05
Infinity 1/06
Jewel of the Seas 8/06
Zenith 1/07
Adventure of the Sea 9/07
Insigna 3/08
Solstice 11/08
NCL Jade 5/09
Diamond Princess 8/09
Oceania Ragetta 11/09
Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Yeoman

My experience is that normally there is no waiting time at all, or at least less than five minutes. I have never heared that reservations only can be made for pre-set times, we have always been able to pick our own time but maybe we have been lucky and our preferred time has been the same as their pre-set time.

I can see that you cruised on the Jade, what date?
Old August 12th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

We cruised at the end of May, 2009, I think the cruise left on the 30th or the 31.

One night I waited over 1/2 hour to be seated in the Grand Pacific. Most of the time we called in the morning for reservations, we did not have a standing reservation. I found it difficult to get the time we wanted - called for 6:30PM - they would tell us the earliest reservation they had was 8:00PM - this happened more times than not. So much for anytime dining. I have had the anytime dining on smaller ships and never had this problem.
Summit 11/01
Millennium 2/02
Mercury 11/02
Star Princess 3/03
Zuiderdam 8/03
Century 10/03
Voyager of the Seas 2/04
Regal Princess 7/04
Zaandam 12/04
Galaxy 9/05
Infinity 1/06
Jewel of the Seas 8/06
Zenith 1/07
Insigna 3/08
Solstice 11/08
NCL Jade 5/09
Diamond Princess 8/09
Oceania Ragetta 11/09
Old August 12th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Specialty Restaurants

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiztime
A few of their specialty restaurants offer the 1/2 price deals from 6PM to 7PM. I think you have to have reservations but I am not certain. We made reservations each evening because there isn't really any such thing as "anytime dining". You get to the restaurant and have to wait if you don't have a reservations. You can only make reservations for pre-set times.

Marion
Like Eric I have never had a problem with waiting for a table. I would advise people to "Not" make a reservation in the main restaurants, unless you really want a table for two, and just go at the time you want.

If you are flexible with the alternative restaurants there is a video screen that shows the availability at each restaurant. You can always try one of the less busy restaurants but there may be a surcharge. I personally enjoyed the surcharge restaurants much more than the main dining rooms.

If you want to do an alternative restaurant you can make a reservation but walk-ups work great. Just look at the screen.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 12th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Our party of 4 was not interested in paying extra for our dining experiences on the Jade. However, we should have tried more of the other restaurants because we had such poor service in the Grand Pacific. It was my first NCL cruise and I wasn't impressed.

Our cruise was extremely port intensive - we left very early in the AM and were busy touring for the entire day. We were exhausted in the evening and just wanted to sit and have a good dinner. I found the food to be a 6/7 on a scale of 1-10 and the service to be a 3.
Summit 11/01
Millennium 2/02
Mercury 11/02
Star Princess 3/03
Zuiderdam 8/03
Century 10/03
Voyager of the Seas 2/04
Regal Princess 7/04
Zaandam 12/04
Galaxy 9/05
Infinity 1/06
Jewel of the Seas 8/06
Zenith 1/07
Insigna 3/08
Solstice 11/08
NCL Jade 5/09
Diamond Princess 8/09
Oceania Ragetta 11/09
Old August 12th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Yeoman

We were on the Jade May 24-29 and as said, no problem to get a table.

We have cruised with NCL 4 times, 38 nights, and once we had to wait more than 10 minutes for a table.
Old August 17th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Passenger

On our first freestyle cruise we got to the dining room and informed the host that there were 2 of us. On the first night we were seated at a table for 2, which was not our intent. The second night, we were informed that there would be a one-hour wait. After overhearing someone else, we informed the host that we were willing to share a table and we were seated moments later. Getting to meet new people every night is one of the plusses of freestying for us and usually the grouchy people stay by themselves. Now we always inform the host that we are willing to share and we haven't waited for a table at any time since.
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

I agree Stormcat. I like the large tables and enjoy the wonderful company and meeting the other passengers. I have never asked for a table for 2 and thank goodness have never been seated at one.

Marion
Summit 11/01
Millennium 2/02
Mercury 11/02
Star Princess 3/03
Zuiderdam 8/03
Century 10/03
Voyager of the Seas 2/04
Regal Princess 7/04
Zaandam 12/04
Galaxy 9/05
Infinity 1/06
Jewel of the Seas 8/06
Zenith 1/07
Insigna 3/08
Solstice 11/08
NCL Jade 5/09
Diamond Princess 8/09
Oceania Ragetta 11/09
Old August 18th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Admiral

We have cruised NCL 11 times (I have anyway) and never waited more than 5 minutes except for the time we had a party of about 20. Even with reservations we did have to wait. It was a very crowded sailing (completely sold out). As for service, we have experienced both good and questionable since freestyle was introduced. We experienced the same on Princess. If service is the most important thing and getting to know your wait staff is important, traditional dining will be better. For us, we can give up some for the wonderful flexibility offered with freestyle and no, we have never had really bad service.

Sharing tables, we have done both and like both. There are times when we enjoy eating alone, other times we want to socialize more.

Nita
Old August 18th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiztime
I agree Stormcat. I like the large tables and enjoy the wonderful company and meeting the other passengers. I have never asked for a table for 2 and thank goodness have never been seated at one.

Marion
Marion: I agree: If I get a table for two it would mean that I have to eat with my wife.

Take care,
Mike (Who is hoping that my wife isn't lurking.)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 7th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Passenger

Default Reservations

How far in advance can you make reservations at specialty restaurants? We are cruising the Pearl in October!

KennyG
Old September 8th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Admiral

Years ago, we sat at a table for 2 and liked it. On all our cruises after that, we dined with other people. However, on our last two cruises, we went back to having a table for 2 and really enjoyed ourselves kibbitzing around with our waiter, etc. On a cruise, Mort and I really enjoy each others company. At home, we sometimes get bored eating alone together. I sometimes read while at the table (which my mother always told me was bad manners).
Cindy