CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Norwegian Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/)
-   -   APPROPRIATE DRESS (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/367789-appropriate-dress.html)

Parrot Mom September 8th, 2009 01:07 AM

APPROPRIATE DRESS

Don't want to start a big to-do.. but now that I'm making a list and this is my first true "free style" cruise..what do I need to know.. It's not that I don't have lots of appropriate clothes, but where and what for the NCL Gem..

Okay..for the specialty restaurants..dressy slacks or a long skirt for the ladies. Long pants for men in the evening I assume...

How about nice capris with a blouse or jersey (no t-shirt) for the dining room for dinner.. or is it dressy slacks...I REFUSE TO BRING A COCKTAIL DRESS...

Parrot Pop is planning on taking a sports jacket..will he wear it and where?

beenie weenie September 8th, 2009 07:59 AM

Any of the items you mention would be suitable in any of the restaurants on any given night. Long or short skirts are more than suitable. Your husband may choose to use his sports coat on Lobster night or for a nice meal one evening in Le Bistro or Cagney's or he may decide to just go without a sports coat.

Nice capris with a blouse are fine too.

Mike M September 8th, 2009 10:04 AM

Re: APPROPRIATE DRESS

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
Don't want to start a big to-do.. but now that I'm making a list and this is my first true "free style" cruise..what do I need to know.. It's not that I don't have lots of appropriate clothes, but where and what for the NCL Gem..

Okay..for the specialty restaurants..dressy slacks or a long skirt for the ladies. Long pants for men in the evening I assume...

How about nice capris with a blouse or jersey (no t-shirt) for the dining room for dinner.. or is it dressy slacks...I REFUSE TO BRING A COCKTAIL DRESS...

It's all good Parrot Mom. These will work in any restaurant on any night.

If your husband wants to bring a jacket then it would be fine for a nice dinner in Le Bistro or Cagney's but there is no requirement to do so and he will not feel out of place.

One night I actually wore the evil "jeans" (not torn or overly faded) to Mama's Italian restaurant. I was not struck by lightening or banished. LOL It was a long day in Copenhagen and I just wanted to eat and go to bed.

Even with NCL's relaxed dress code the people, on the NCL cruises I've been on,(5) dress better than on my last three Carnival cruises.

Take care,
Mike

Parrot Mom September 8th, 2009 12:06 PM

OVERDRESS

We have been doing C elebrity and just don't want to be overdressed for NCL..

LADYoftheSEAs8 September 8th, 2009 09:54 PM

you will be fine...i have seen everything from jeans to tuxes...even shorts
on my spirit cruise last sept very few were really dressed...i see MORE of that during the holidays on the star....sometimes they enforce the no shorts or jeans...sometimes they dont :roll:

nmnita September 8th, 2009 10:54 PM

Re: APPROPRIATE DRESS

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parrot Mom

you will be just fine. I usually wear dressy pants or really nice capris in the specialty dining rooms or maybe a skirt and top, but never pack coctail dresses anymore: Pat wears dress slacks and maybe a sport jacket depending on the restaurant.

Nita

Parrot Mom September 9th, 2009 12:22 AM

DRESS CODE

THANKS NITA... I always overpack...just picked up a pair of lime/kiwi colored pants and black pants on deep sale.. now I have to double check.. because I really think the first pair maybe shocking...lol.. and I do have tops to go with it.. Have to check out to see if I have other casual black pants.. bargain or not...

LADYoftheSEAs8 September 9th, 2009 06:03 PM

oh if you already have tops try the kiwi lime pants...could be FUN, i doubt real shocking--go for it!!!

Mike M September 9th, 2009 06:22 PM

Jeans have allowed in the restaurants (not just the buffet) since the first of the year. No jeans are allowed in the designated "formal" restaurant on formal night.

When you're ready for dinner, it's collared shirts and pants or nice jeans for guys. Slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops are perfect for women. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in our restaurants whenever. If you want to dress up and add a little glamour when you dine out, feel free - we've reserved a restaurant just for that. And remember to pack a sweater - air conditioning can be chilly.

Take care,
Mike

Parrot Mom September 9th, 2009 06:58 PM

KIWI PANTS

Quote:

Originally Posted by LADYoftheSEAs8
oh if you already have tops try the kiwi lime pants...could be FUN, i doubt real shocking--go for it!!!

HAVE ONE top set that has that color in it plus, black, p urple, white, bluish and the lime/kiwi.. NOW WOULDN'T THAT BE A SIGHT.. just put your sun glasses on as I walk in..lol. Yes, I do have some tops will work with it.. .lol..now.. I'll check and see what the bag situation is..lol.. For heavens sake.. just having the pants shortened will cost more than the pants..and they are a good medium quality brand., talk about bargains.

kimbo September 9th, 2009 10:59 PM

I just got back from the NCL sky and went to Cagneys, LeBistro, and the main dinning areas and saw everything from Shorts, jeans, slacks, dresses in all the dinning areas. Formal is optional and I think maybe 15% dressed semi formal on that night. We dressed up.

Parrot Mom September 10th, 2009 08:44 AM

STANDARDS

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimbo
I just got back from the NCL sky and went to Cagneys, LeBistro, and the main dinning areas and saw everything from Shorts, jeans, slacks, dresses in all the dinning areas. Formal is optional and I think maybe 15% dressed semi formal on that night. We dressed up.

LOL.We did the NCL Sky on it's first Panama Canal from Miami to L.A after that incident in Canada.. That said...I will keep my cruise standards and be prepared for formal night (no tux for Parrot Pop) bur dress up clothes..I will not even pack nor do I dungares, shorts are part of my coverup for around the pool..that's it.. I personally refuse to dress like a especially in the dining rooms..