Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 12th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Passenger

Default Mediocre cruise on the Jewel

Just got back from the Baltic cruise which was just okay but we expected more. We felt like we were nickeled & dimed for everything - avoid the martini tasting(a gigantic ripoff). Days at sea were like a giant floating flea market. Food was just average(or less) in the regular restaurants but there were 6 upscale eateries?($15-25pp per meal). Service, overall, was not very satisfactory(cabin, restaurants & customer service). Ship tours were expensive - arrange your own.
On the positive side the cabin w/balcony was very comfortable & the shows in the big theater were excellent.
I will only go on NCL again if it is the ONLY company going to a location I want to see.
Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2009, 06:38 PM
First Mate

Hi Chuck. Sorry you didn't care for your cruise. I was on the Jewel about 4 years ago. It was a caribbean cruise. I had a great time on the Jewel.
Old September 13th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Captain

Hi Chuck sorry you did not enjoy your cruise. How many different cruise boards are you going to cut and past the same post. As posted in reply to your post elsewhere it seems most of your complaints were about spending money. If you expect not to have a cruise lines try and drive additional onboard revenue you need to write a much larger check upfront and book one of the premium lines that generate their profits with fares $1000s more pp. I prefer to spend and extra $150 in the specialty restaurants and get the same level of dining saving $1000s.

Nobody put a gun to your head to buy anything from the onboard vendors, buy lottery tickets, sign up for pay for clinics.... etc.

BTW the Martini Clinic is one of my favorites and always a great value.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old September 13th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Admiral

The martini clinic in my experience has been a great way to meet wonderful outgoing fun-loving passengers, as well as learning all about making martini's and the history of the martini, and most importantly getting to try a huge variety of Martini's from people who really know their stuff. If I recall on our Spirit repo cruise we paid $15 each and had so much fun at the first one, we went back for two more clinics. They were extremely generous, and byt the last clinic we had 7 or 8 different Martini's. Of course no one forced me to drink 8 martini's but I did and then I promptly stood up, walked back to my cabin and slept until the next morning . But honestly I cannot imagine anyone considering it a rip off. However, next time I may just sample a sip of each of my Husband's martini's because I just cannot handle that much alcohol in one sitting. Even better than the Martini's, were the wonderful people we met there.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old September 13th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Passenger

Your's sounds great. Our's was 2 1/3 martinis & a make your own Fusion, all for the same price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
The martini clinic in my experience has been a great way to meet wonderful outgoing fun-loving passengers, as well as learning all about making martini's and the history of the martini, and most importantly getting to try a huge variety of Martini's from people who really know their stuff. If I recall on our Spirit repo cruise we paid $15 each and had so much fun at the first one, we went back for two more clinics. They were extremely generous, and byt the last clinic we had 7 or 8 different Martini's. Of course no one forced me to drink 8 martini's but I did and then I promptly stood up, walked back to my cabin and slept until the next morning LOL. But honestly I cannot imagine anyone considering it a rip off. However, next time I may just sample a sip of each of my Husband's martini's because I just cannot handle that much alcohol in one sitting. Even better than the Martini's, were the wonderful people we met there.
Old September 13th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Passenger

You're entitled to your opinion & me mine. Its not about $$ it's about value/service. I'm expecting better. Enjoy your future cruises.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreguy
Hi Chuck sorry you did not enjoy your cruise. How many different cruise boards are you going to cut and past the same post. As posted in reply to your post elsewhere it seems most of your complaints were about spending money. If you expect not to have a cruise lines try and drive additional onboard revenue you need to write a much larger check upfront and book one of the premium lines that generate their profits with fares $1000s more pp. I prefer to spend and extra $150 in the specialty restaurants and get the same level of dining saving $1000s.

Nobody put a gun to your head to buy anything from the onboard vendors, buy lottery tickets, sign up for pay for clinics.... etc.

BTW the Martini Clinic is one of my favorites and always a great value.
Old September 13th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck84132
Your's sounds great. Our's was 2 1/3 martinis & a make your own Fusion, all for the same price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
The martini clinic in my experience has been a great way to meet wonderful outgoing fun-loving passengers, as well as learning all about making martini's and the history of the martini, and most importantly getting to try a huge variety of Martini's from people who really know their stuff. If I recall on our Spirit repo cruise we paid $15 each and had so much fun at the first one, we went back for two more clinics. They were extremely generous, and byt the last clinic we had 7 or 8 different Martini's. Of course no one forced me to drink 8 martini's but I did and then I promptly stood up, walked back to my cabin and slept until the next morning . But honestly I cannot imagine anyone considering it a rip off. However, next time I may just sample a sip of each of my Husband's martini's because I just cannot handle that much alcohol in one sitting. Even better than the Martini's, were the wonderful people we met there.
Well that would be a bit of a disappointment based on my previous experiences. Definitely a much skimpier event than what we had. I'll be on the Jewel repo in a month and a half and will report my findings how they conduct it at that time. I also want to try some other "clinic" type events as well. D/H always loves the sushi making classes as well.

I am curious about something... did you know in advance about the restaurant setup on the newer ships, or were you caught unaware that the "better" dining venues were an additional charge? I have observed that the vast majority of complaints regarding food and food service on NCL come from folks who have limited themselves to the main dining rooms for dinner. My Husband and I really enjoy and budget extra for the speciality restaurants and thus far have not been disappointed. I can see how if you were expecting a traditional cruise dining experience, it would be disconcerting to have to shell out extra, to have access to the better quality food and service.

The best meal I ever had on a Cruise Ship was Harry's Supper Club on Carnival Liberty's maiden caribbean cruise. It was wonderful and it was $30 per person. If they had a rotating menu I would have gladly eaten there every night. My point in mentioning this is that some things are worth an extra charge. I personally don't mind paying extra for these "extras" if I feel I got a good deal on the cruise itself. But if I am shelling out the big bucks and paying first class cruise fare, I think it is reasonable to expect first class cuisine. I'll be honest, I avoid the main dining room for dinner on all of our NCL cruises and it is simply because we look forward to the other venues and variety. We might eat there once or twice when Lobster and Beef Wellington are served. But really we enjoy it all.

To be fair ship tours are ship tours... it doesn't really matter what line you're talking about, they almost always cost more than what you can procure independently. Unfortunately, it is the nature of the beast and that phenomena is not limited to NCL. Unless of course you book the ultra luxury lines that include shore excursions.

I am not being sarcastic when I suggest this. You may want to look at the reviews Kuki did on Siverseas. All I could say was WOW! I thought they must be very pricey and out of our range. It included everything, including alcohol, shore excursions etc... But they had some really attractive pricing at that time, that seemed very reasonable for all you got with their all suite accomodations. When our children are grown, and have left the nest, I could see d/h and I loving that line. To me that would be an ultimate cruise. But for now, we'll stick with NCL, Carnival, RCL etc..., we're talking about branching out and trying Princess in 2011. The only line we've sworn off so far is Costa which is not our cup of tea. I hope your next cruise is better.

Old September 13th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Mediocre cruise on the Jewel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck84132
Just got back from the Baltic cruise which was just okay but we expected more. We felt like we were nickeled & dimed for everything - avoid the martini tasting(a gigantic ripoff). Days at sea were like a giant floating flea market. Food was just average(or less) in the regular restaurants but there were 6 upscale eateries?($15-25pp per meal). Service, overall, was not very satisfactory(cabin, restaurants & customer service). Ship tours were expensive - arrange your own.
On the positive side the cabin w/balcony was very comfortable & the shows in the big theater were excellent.
I will only go on NCL again if it is the ONLY company going to a location I want to see.
could you explain why the martini clinic was a rip off? I have never heard that from anyone and I am on about every forum there is. In fact it is usually considered one of the best activities on the ship.

How many cruises have you been on and which lines? Yes, the ship tours are overpriced, just like every single other cruise line. Other than the martini clinic how were you nickel and dimed to death? Were you forced to spend money you didn't want to spend, were they pushing carts down the hall selling items? What do you mean by nickel and dimed?

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion and not all cruise lines fit everyones tastes or expectations, but I think a little more detail were serve better than generalities.

Oh, now I read you only got 2 1/3 martinis, I wonder why everyone else seems to have gotten more? Even then, at $15 that isn't all that bad.

I would rather do a cruise that is priced right and like Shoreguy said, choose where to spend the additional $$s than to pay up front and not a choice. I am sure you will, in the future, find a cruise line that fits your needs. Cheap with the best of everything!!!

Nita
Old October 5th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Familiar Face

We will be on the Jewel Repo at the end of this month! It is our 3rd NCL cruise and I've never seen or been to a Sushi demonstration, but I sure hope they have it this time, I would really enjoy that!
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Admiral

Hey Ruth!!! You'll have to join Hubby (Mr. Leo) at the sushi demo, it's one of his favorite things to do.

Old October 5th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Admiral

Default UPCOMING C RUISE

Although we have cruised NCL many times before this is our first "free style" and I've read the boards and know about the two for one nights in the extra charge restaurants..Parrot Pop waits impatiently for the $10.00 watch sale.. it is the highlight of his cruises..He's wearing one now that people have tried bribing him with even a Red Sox ticket for the watch...(it was only for one)....After having been cruising Celebrity when we cruise the t/a NCL Gem.. my expectations will not be high so I won't be as disappointed... We have already planned for two ports with private tours..and in Cannes everybody says to just walk around, Malaga we will go to the Marina after having been to Mijas twice already.. and Corsica...well, will get off the ship (been there before) buy some soaps and gelato and back to the ship. If we work it right.. the upgrade fairy might make it possible to eat at Cagneys for lunch and breakfast....IF!!
Old November 25th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I have to agree with Chuck. Just returned from a trip on the Dawn. Felt the belt tightening on behalf of NCL. Could hardly walk through the reception area for the flea market tables full of things to buy. They have huge shopping gallery for this kind of merchandizing Did like the new Easy Walk Off capability upon disembarkation. If you can drag your luggage yourself...no need to put out the night before as you now can take everything with you. Of course, does not apply to embarkation as luggage needs to be screened. ~~ bill
Old November 25th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Admiral

I meant to follow up on this post, but couldn't remember where it was . We got back from the Jewel almost 2 weeks ago. I was a little disappointed they seemed to have totally eliminated the Martini clinic, they did have a sushi and sake tasting which was great fun and a terrific value. They had a wine and a whiskey tasting but I didn't make it to either so can't comment.

Parrot Mom, Parrot Pop will be happy as there is a $10 store just forward of the lido pool area on the Jewel that has tons of $10 watches all of the time, I have seen this store on many of their ships.

We were actually quite pleased with the food in one of the main dining rooms Azura this time around. but I believe they have changed menus recently and I was happy with the vast majority of the food we had on board, the only exception would be the Prime Rib and truffle fries in Cagneys, which were not impressive at all.

I cannot disagree that NCL has cut back in some areas. It is obvious, but in other areas I have seen improvement on the Jewel, the buffet food for lunch and breakfast were improved, as was the food in the main dining room. You sure noticed that the guests were cutting back. I never once saw a full specialty restaurant. I never found a reservation necessary, which is different than our previous NCL experience. when we were actually unable to get into venues like Teppanyaki after trying for several nights to get reservations.

Old November 25th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Admiral

DO I DARE TELL PARROT POP!! lol. we are in the last throes of packing and leave tomorrow at 6:15 p.m. for Dublin then on to Barcelona and the Gem..As for me.. I can't wait to buy Murano glass necklaces and bracelets in Spain and maybe italy. Just told him..he says he doesn't need anymore.. anybody want to make a bet..lol Must tell you Beenie Baby on our last cruise I bought a white plastic bracelet watch..for $10 00 and have never had so many comments on it.. See you all later when we come back..
Old November 30th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck84132 View Post
We felt like we were nickeled & dimed for everything - avoid the martini tasting(a gigantic ripoff). Days at sea were like a giant floating flea market. Food was just average(or less)...
I'm sorry to hear your cruise was sub-standard. I haven't experienced this sort of thing yet but will certainly keep your story in mind when booking next.

I feel it's a good reason to stick to what you know is good once you get onto it!

All the best!
Old December 12th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Passenger

Default Just Know What You're In For

NCL does nickle and dime and the food is average. In the past I've complained about about being required to purchase plastic cups in order to get the adult beverage that I wanted. Also, I'm finding some first-time cruisers on NCL confuse "freestyle" with "free-for-all". HOWEVER, their fares are some of the absolute lowest so I expect them to try to make it up elsewhere and I'm prepared. On our last cruise two months ago, we had a less than terrific excursion experience and NCL did refund 1/2 of our excursion fees. (Given the nature of our complaints this was more than adequate compensation.) When we came home, NCL requested that we review our cruise on-line. I tried to give them thoughtful feedback. I expect that when the economy improves, cruise fares will increase so in the meantime, I'm going to take full advantage.
Old December 19th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Admiral

you know I still do not understand why everyone says "nickel and diming? AS for purchasing the plastic cups, this isn't true, you just have to stress you do not want the special drink in the cup. If you do not, yes they will bring it to you: bad, I agree..and yes, the prices are relatively low, but they are not always the cheapest..Yes, the one thing they are bad about: shore excursions are too pricey. All lines have this, but NCL is the worst. As for people not knowing what "freestyle" means, that is simply due to either a very poor travel agent or no research....

Nita
Old December 19th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I know that everyone will have different perceptions and experiences on their cruise and almost every opinion is a valid one.

Having said that I have done five actual "Freestyle" cruises and when I have cruised NCL I have never felt any more "nickle and dimed" than on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess or Holland America. I've cruised with NCL seven times but the Norway and Norwegian Sky (2000) were not Freestyle.

When I cruise with NCL I know going in that I will have multiple dining venues and in a number of them I will pay $10 - $25 per person to eat there.

I also know there will be waiters pushing "the drink of the day" and I don't have to take the souvenir cup if I don't want it.

I personally have never felt more nickle and dimed than on my last two Carnival cruises. The waiters pushed drinks even after being told that none were wanted. The "atrium sales" were constant and going anywhere near the tables was almost scary with people grabbing for merchandise. The "you've won a free spa session" really irritated me because I won nothing but a 20% discount. I was called not once but twice telling me I'd won these supposed "free" sessions.

I have had excursions with Princess, Carnival, Renaissance and Celebrity that were less than enjoyable and the ones with Princess and Renaissance were downright horrible and dangerous. On Princess we were left by the side of the road, in Aruba, for two hours when our Jeep broke down and the rest of the group and the tour leaders left saying they would send help and none arrived. We flagged down an excursion from another ship and got back that way. The Renaissance excursion was four hours of hell being stuck on a bus to and from Al Hambra with no air conditioning and a guide who wouldn't shut up about how "evil" Franco was. Yes; he was evil but enough was enough. The Carnival and Celebrity excursions were just plain underwhelming. Now I know why I rarely book ship's excursions. It's because I've had bad luck with them. Others have had nothing but wonderful times.

Education is important when cruising Freestyle and its up to the cruiser and the agent to make sure they are educated before they go. This doesn't mean that "stuff" doesn't happen and some people will educate themselves, know what to expect and still not like it. There is nothing wrong with not liking Freestyle or NCL. But many of the complaints are the same complaints I see about Royal Caribbean, Carnival and almost all other cruise lines.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 24th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I am trying Jewel on the Jan 23rd 2010 and will let you know.

To me it all boils down to what you end up paying in total. The prices for NCL cruises in Europe appear to be very good values, and Europe tours are always expensive. If you want upscale food you pay extra for it, but it isn't in the cruise fare like other cruise lines.

I do expect to pay extra for fine food when I am in the mood for that, but I don't cruise just to eat, I cruise to see new places.

I like the NCL ships, the way they look, the layout of the cabins and the entertainment. They are different from other cruise lines but in a good way.