Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 14th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Using an international calling card?

I am traveling to Bermuda next week...I used my cell phone last year...very pricey! I called NCL and they stated it is $7.95 a minute to call directly from the ship. What is if I use an international calling card? Will I still be charged a fee to use the phone, if so does anyone know how much it is? Any help is appreciated!
Norwegian Dream October 2008 (Bermuda)
Norwegian Spirit September 2009 (Bermuda)
Caribbean Princess May 2010 (Caribbean)
Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Admiral

One thing I have found with Calling cards is they work best if you use them in the Country where you bought them. If you buy a calling card in the U.S., the rate structure is typically geared towards calls originating from the United States to other countries and not necessarily vice versa.

One thing that d/h and I have used in Europe, Mexico, and the islands scattered around the Caribbean is Skype. We would often sit on the balcony of our cabin and pick up a wifi signal from a nearby hotel and make an almost free phone call home. We found an Internet Cafe in Barcelona and used Skype there. We have used Skype on our Laptops, Asus Eeeee PC with is a miniature laptop that can often be found on sale online for under $200. It can also be used with a Sony PSP (not easily though) Unfortunately we have been unable to use it on the ship's wifi. There's just too much latency since they use satellite I think.

Just food for thought. If it were me, I would wait until I got to Bermuda before buying a phone card, unless you know the card you're buying will work at a given rate to call the U.S. from Bermuda. If by chance you are taking a laptop with you. I would check out Skype.

Read and post cruise reviews