Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 27th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Review of NCL Spirit

I figured I would post my review of the Spirit: Boston to Bermuda 09-18 through 09-25. I got most of my questions answered here! This was my 5th NCL cruise with my mother (65), sister (43) and myslef (31).

Embarkation: Although the port was a bit crowded, this was an easy experience. From curb to being on the ship took about 45minutes. Had our champagne, made dinner reservations and checked out the ship's layout. I think the Spirit was very clean, nicely maintained and easy to navigate. Headed into our stateroom about 1:30pm.

Stateroom: We were in and inseide room 6571. Beware of this room! It was located right uder Henry's Pub which had karaoke evry night. Even with ear plugs we did not get much sleep (I hd tried to change the room before). We had plenty of room with the 3 of us, suitcases under the beds, unpacked clothes and used all the drawers and closet space. I think the showeres on the Spirit were the largest we have ever had before! Some minor issues: The bunk was very uncomfortable so we decided to put the mattress on the floor each night. My comforter was stained (left a note, it was changed). We never once met our stewards...the beds were barley made, no more Andes mints on our pillpws at night and only 2 towel animals! We don't spend a lot of time here, but a bit annoying.

Food: I have no complaints on the food. Ate breakfast each morning at Raffles. The waffles and omelet stations are great. Pretty much any food you can think of. Lunch was either at Raffles or snacks on our own. The pretels at Bier Garten were a great snack. We ate in Windows most of the evenings. Great sirloin, prime rib, sea food etc. Waiters were very accomodating. Ate at Teppynaki one night. There was only 5 of us, so we got a lot of special attention. The filet was amazing. Joel was a greta chef! Also at at La Trattoria. This was okay, nothing special. We all had the chicken parm. The antipasta trolley was a nice touch. Chocohollic buffet was a bit dissapointment, looks better than it tastes.

Entertainment: Saw the shows every night. The Cats Pajamas were amazing. Liked Second City, especially the adult show. Was dissapointed with the Spirit's production dancers and singers, I miss the Jean Anne Ryan Co. Went to Bingo (expensive), family feud, newlywed game, liars club, trivia etc. I was happy with the amount of activities provided. Cruise director Paul was fantastic! Alvin and Emily were also great night time entertainment in Champgne Charlies.

Staff: Most staff were very friendly, but we had a lot of issues that needed to be taken care of at reception. I was charged for 2 bottles of water in my room, never had water even in there. On board credits were not put on my account, I was chraged for everyone's excursions (we had 3 seperate accounts). My sister was not allowed to leave the ship until she closed her account...NCL owed HER seventy cents. Everything was finally resolved, with my consistent work.

Shore excursions: Maddy was extremly helpful. I was a bit dissapointed as 2 of the 3 excursions we had pre-booked had been canceled. We booked other ones. The first day in port it poured and thundered. Our excursion was canceled again! We made the most out of it and explored the Dock yard, shopped, went to Snorkel Park, visited the glass blowing shop and rum cake factory. HAd lunch at Frog and Onion...pretty good.

Second day we went to Crystal cazes, aquarium and zoo. The aquariam and zoo were a bit dissapointing and small, but the caves were AMAZING! The steps (81) were a bit much, but worth it!

Third day we took the Bermuda Island Tour. Saw all the sights. Nice way to see the city. Stopped for a bit in St. Georges. Later that night we took an evening glass bottom boat ride to the Bermuda Triangle. It was a nice night, nice boat ride and neat to see the fish, coral etc. at night.

Bermuda: The island was very clean, friendly people to help out etc. Took both the Ferry and the Bus system. Went to Horshoe Beach, shopped on Front Street.

On one bad note...On Monday I tripped and seriously sprained my ankle while shopping on Front Street. My anke continued to swell, bruise and I could not walk. I decided to go to the infirmary. I guess I never thought there would be a fee for this. A 5 minute consultation, and an ace bandage cost me $122.00. I was not impressed with the nurse or doctor. I was told to elevate and ice it. It was extremely hard to get a hold of housekeeping to get ice. I ended up hobbling around for the week and went to the doctors for xrays when I returned home. No fracture!

All in all...I would say it was a wonderful vacation, lots of fun, relaxation and memories!
Norwegian Dream October 2008 (Bermuda)
Norwegian Spirit September 2009 (Bermuda)
Caribbean Princess May 2010 (Caribbean)
Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Review of NCL Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandy5165
I figured I would post my review of the Spirit: Boston to Bermuda 09-18 through 09-25. I got most of my questions answered here! This was my 5th NCL cruise with my mother (65), sister (43) and myslef (31).

Embarkation: Although the port was a bit crowded, this was an easy experience. From curb to being on the ship took about 45minutes. Had our champagne, made dinner reservations and checked out the ship's layout. I think the Spirit was very clean, nicely maintained and easy to navigate. Headed into our stateroom about 1:30pm.

Stateroom: We were in and inseide room 6571. Beware of this room! It was located right uder Henry's Pub which had karaoke evry night. Even with ear plugs we did not get much sleep (I hd tried to change the room before). We had plenty of room with the 3 of us, suitcases under the beds, unpacked clothes and used all the drawers and closet space. I think the showeres on the Spirit were the largest we have ever had before! Some minor issues: The bunk was very uncomfortable so we decided to put the mattress on the floor each night. My comforter was stained (left a note, it was changed). We never once met our stewards...the beds were barley made, no more Andes mints on our pillpws at night and only 2 towel animals! We don't spend a lot of time here, but a bit annoying.

Food: I have no complaints on the food. Ate breakfast each morning at Raffles. The waffles and omelet stations are great. Pretty much any food you can think of. Lunch was either at Raffles or snacks on our own. The pretels at Bier Garten were a great snack. We ate in Windows most of the evenings. Great sirloin, prime rib, sea food etc. Waiters were very accomodating. Ate at Teppynaki one night. There was only 5 of us, so we got a lot of special attention. The filet was amazing. Joel was a greta chef! Also at at La Trattoria. This was okay, nothing special. We all had the chicken parm. The antipasta trolley was a nice touch. Chocohollic buffet was a bit dissapointment, looks better than it tastes.

Entertainment: Saw the shows every night. The Cats Pajamas were amazing. Liked Second City, especially the adult show. Was dissapointed with the Spirit's production dancers and singers, I miss the Jean Anne Ryan Co. Went to Bingo (expensive), family feud, newlywed game, liars club, trivia etc. I was happy with the amount of activities provided. Cruise director Paul was fantastic! Alvin and Emily were also great night time entertainment in Champgne Charlies.

Staff: Most staff were very friendly, but we had a lot of issues that needed to be taken care of at reception. I was charged for 2 bottles of water in my room, never had water even in there. On board credits were not put on my account, I was chraged for everyone's excursions (we had 3 seperate accounts). My sister was not allowed to leave the ship until she closed her account...NCL owed HER seventy cents. Everything was finally resolved, with my consistent work.

Shore excursions: Maddy was extremly helpful. I was a bit dissapointed as 2 of the 3 excursions we had pre-booked had been canceled. We booked other ones. The first day in port it poured and thundered. Our excursion was canceled again! We made the most out of it and explored the Dock yard, shopped, went to Snorkel Park, visited the glass blowing shop and rum cake factory. HAd lunch at Frog and Onion...pretty good.

Second day we went to Crystal cazes, aquarium and zoo. The aquariam and zoo were a bit dissapointing and small, but the caves were AMAZING! The steps (81) were a bit much, but worth it!

Third day we took the Bermuda Island Tour. Saw all the sights. Nice way to see the city. Stopped for a bit in St. Georges. Later that night we took an evening glass bottom boat ride to the Bermuda Triangle. It was a nice night, nice boat ride and neat to see the fish, coral etc. at night.

Bermuda: The island was very clean, friendly people to help out etc. Took both the Ferry and the Bus system. Went to Horshoe Beach, shopped on Front Street.

On one bad note...On Monday I tripped and seriously sprained my ankle while shopping on Front Street. My anke continued to swell, bruise and I could not walk. I decided to go to the infirmary. I guess I never thought there would be a fee for this. A 5 minute consultation, and an ace bandage cost me $122.00. I was not impressed with the nurse or doctor. I was told to elevate and ice it. It was extremely hard to get a hold of housekeeping to get ice. I ended up hobbling around for the week and went to the doctors for xrays when I returned home. No fracture!

All in all...I would say it was a wonderful vacation, lots of fun, relaxation and memories!
Thanks for the kind of review we all like to see. You had concerns, which were understandable but you didn't let them ruin your cruise. As for not seeing you cabin steward we had the same problem on our Spirit cruise. We did run into him a few times, but never really met him and I would say the service (cabinwise) was barely up to par. In fact next to the last day I did meet with the house keeping manager. Like you, it didn't ruin orur cruise and I would do it over again.

Your experience with the doctor/nurse is typical for ships. we have twice had to see a doctor (never on NCL) both times we were anything but impressed. By the way, check and see if your insurance will cover any part of the fee, outs did, plus, if you had travel insurance it should as well

Glad you had a good time.

Nita
Old September 27th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, I have paperwork to submit to my insurance, but it was a little absurd that they were first concerned on getting my room key instead of inquiring about my ailment!!!
Norwegian Dream October 2008 (Bermuda)
Norwegian Spirit September 2009 (Bermuda)
Caribbean Princess May 2010 (Caribbean)
Old September 27th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Admiral

Good Review. Seems like a very fair appraisal of your experience. I am so glad that you had the foresight to ask about the room noise otherwise, you may have been unpleasantly surprised and unprepared. I can attest that the noisy cabins on the Spirit, are really noisy. Earplugs do help, sorry they didn't completely solve the problem. I am sorry that you got hurt, but glad that it wasn't more serious.

Thanks for sharing your cruise with us.

Read and post cruise reviews