Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 7th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Familiar Face

Default NCL Jade - Cabin Choice Please

Hi all,
I have done a bit of searching but am still a bit confused and need some advice please.

We are looking to book NCL Jade from Barcelona doing Morocco and the Canaries for January coming.
There will be my husband, I and our baby who will be 17 months. We have sailed RCCL and X in the past and I am always on the lookout for best abng for my buck on the cabin front and luckily, on most of my cruises I have managed to nab myself one of those 'secret cabins' - you know the ones with that balcony that's 'slighty' larger than others within the same category etc.
Anyways, I've done a bit of searching and these seem to be few and far between on NCL.
Originally I was looking at booking either an AF or a BA and was looking for Aft cabins as I thought the balconies would be bigger but now I have just read that it is only the BA balconies that are bigger back there! Soooo ...
The AF is only about $100 or so more than the BA and I was more or less decided on that as we will have our little boy with us so the extra room would be great BUT ... are the BA balconies bigger on the Aft??? ... See, now I'm feeling like I'm missing out on something
We're not totally fussed on being all the way at the back to be honest. I know everyone raves about the view and everything but I think we prefer a side view BUT would opt for a larger cabin / balcony over view any day ... hope I'm not confusing everyone!

Sooo Long story short ...should we go for an AF over one of the aft BA's,
And if so, which side of the ship would be best for our itinerary (Malaga, Agadir, Madiera, Casablanca, Las Palmas).
And one final one, should we go for a covered or uncovered balcony? On one hand I'm thinking a bit of sun on the balcony would be nice for sunbathing / reading while our little boy naps but on the other ....

Please help a very confused cruiser
Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Admiral

The AF will be larger than the BA as a whole. It will also have a bathtub shower combo instead of just the shower which is nice when travelling with a little one. It also has a curtain to partition the sitting area from the bed, when our kids were little, that sort of separation made it so much easier to get them to take naps and fall asleep at night. The aft AF are nice because of the view.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old October 7th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Familiar Face

Thank you very very much for your super quick reply!
I had a feeling we should stick with the AF!
Do you have any advice on covered versus uncovered or other location on the sides?

Thanks very very much for your help!
Old October 7th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyMe
Thank you very very much for your super quick reply!
I had a feeling we should stick with the AF!
Do you have any advice on covered versus uncovered or other location on the sides?

Thanks very very much for your help!
If you can get one of the aft facing AFs that would be my first choice.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old October 8th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Familiar Face

Thank you shoreguy!!!
IF Aft wasn't in the equation what would be your next choice? Covered or uncovered?

Thanks for everyones help!!
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Admiral

I was in 11630 on the Pearl and it was nice, just one night of noise, which I think was an isolated event. I think the question you need to ask yourself is, would you enjoy a shaded balcony or one that experiences more sunlight. That should answer your own question. Personally I just love a balcony, covered or not.

Old October 8th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyMe
Thank you shoreguy!!!
IF Aft wasn't in the equation what would be your next choice? Covered or uncovered?

Thanks for everyones help!!
They are all covered. Those in the center just have more of an overhang. That has never entered into my cabin selection.

I would book an AF near the forward stairway/elevators on the starboard side under the card room/ library rather then port under the gym. One of those next to the ABs.

Easy to get anywhere from the forward elevators. The midship elevators are always the busiest. The aft elevators do not go down to deck 4 when getting off or returning from port so 3/4 of the passengers have to use the mid ship elevators.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old October 8th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Familiar Face

Thank you both for your replies.

We prefer to be looking forward rather than looking back at where we've been so I will search out cabins Starboard forward ... VERY good to know about the Aft elevators not going all the way down!! ... Especially with a toddler in tow!
Thanks a million!

Edit: Just a thought - what about if we booked a GTY cabin?? - They're the same price as an assigned cabin but I'm wondering what the chance of an upgrade would be?? .. I know, no one can predict the upgrade fairy BUT .... what's the worst we could end up with ??? Are there any really bad AF cabins or higher?? (Only reason I'm asking is that last time on X we changed to a GTY cabin in a ctaegory that had been showing sold out for quite a while while Owners Suites were showing available ... we got upgraded to an Owners suite .. niiicccee! ... I know it's ythe luck of the draw but what does everyone think?)
Old October 8th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Admiral

I wouldn't do a guarantee on NCL. The upgrade up to a regular suite category from an AF are rare, upsells are much more common. I can't say for sure in your case, but generally when there are more than two people in a room, doing a guarantee isn't an option with NCL as they require you to select a cabin. Other lines like Carnival do allow triple & quad guarantees though.

Old October 8th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks a million for the info beenie weenie!
I am a total novice when it comes to NCL AND with sailing with a toddler so apologies for all the 'simple' questions .. It's great to have such a fantastic site with really helpful members to set me straight - THANK YOU!!!

I'm sure I am going to have a whole list of questions shortly ... have a few already but not sure if I should start a new post or not as they are not specifically cabin related??