Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Passenger

Default Do I have to use a credit card?

Leaving in 2 days, Woo Hoo!
First time on NCL, can I pay cash rather than credit card on my sail and sign card? If so, do I have to do this on ship like I did with Carnival, or do they do it at check in?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Admiral

A credit card is not necessary. You may fund your onboard account with cash. It works fine either way. You may also use traveller's checks as well. If I recall correctly I think that if you are not using a credit card they ask you to go to the reception desk when you board to care for the cash deposit.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old October 17th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Passenger

Thats what Carnival did too. Paying cash makes me more aware of my spending. Because those yummy frozen drinks can add up!
Thanks
Old October 25th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeryleigh
Thats what Carnival did too. Paying cash makes me more aware of my spending. Because those yummy frozen drinks can add up!
Thanks
to be very honest, the best way: use the CC at embarkation and pay in cash the last night. If you do have a CC card on file you will have to put up X number of $$s at the beginning and watch very carefully that you do not use more than a certain amount.

It is up to you, but if you do have a card I highly recommend you start by using it.

Nita
Old October 25th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeryleigh
Thanks
to be very honest, the best way: use the CC at embarkation and pay in cash the last night. If you do have a CC card on file you will have to put up X number of $$s at the beginning and watch very carefully that you do not use more than a certain amount.

It is up to you, but if you do have a card I highly recommend you start by using it.

Nita
I am sorry, but I completely disagree. If you never intend to charge anything to your credit card...why even introduce it to the equation. It is just one more potential point of failure. What if they place a hold on it for "X" number of dollars, which does happen, what if they process your onboard charges to your credit card prior to when you go down to the pursers desk to pay the balance. If you do not intend to pay by credit card and intend to simply pay cash, I see absolutely no benefit to the additional exposure of giving them your credit card information, unless that is how you truly intend to pay for your charges. Just keep an eye on your balance and pay outright for what you spend.

I think it is great that you are taking the measures to be responsible and not overspend. Good for you! Many other folks will be leaving the ship with a deer in the headlights look trying to figure out how they went through so much money so quickly and figure out how they are going to pay down their new sky high credit card balance.

Read and post cruise reviews