Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 20th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default NCL VS Princess

Hello...I am looking for any help/suggestions. I have been on 5 NCL cruises in the past few years. Have enjoyed these all, but am looking for something different. Looking to sail on the Caribbean Princess in May 2010 out of NY. Here are some of my biggest queations:

I do not want formal dining, set hours. How does Anytime Dining compare to Freestyle?

Drss Code: I never wore shorts/jeans to dinner on NCL, but don't want to wear dressy gowns. Are nice dress pants, blouses etc okay?

Activities: It seems like Princess has a lot, I have seen adecline in NCL. I love on board lectures, crafts etc. The scholarship at sea sounds great. Do these cost money, I am assuming just some.

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thank you all!
Norwegian Dream October 2008 (Bermuda)
Norwegian Spirit September 2009 (Bermuda)
Caribbean Princess May 2010 (Caribbean)
Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandy5165 View Post
Hello...I am looking for any help/suggestions. I have been on 5 NCL cruises in the past few years. Have enjoyed these all, but am looking for something different. Looking to sail on the Caribbean Princess in May 2010 out of NY. Here are some of my biggest queations:

I do not want formal dining, set hours. How does Anytime Dining compare to Freestyle?

Similar, however they seem to push getting reservations on Princess. There are very few tables for two on Princess, they almost try to force you to sit with others.

Drss Code: I never wore shorts/jeans to dinner on NCL, but don't want to wear dressy gowns. Are nice dress pants, blouses etc okay?

Smart casual is just fine. I did see them not allow a fellow in the dining room with jean shorts on. This was on the crown princess on the Nov 7-14/09 sailing. On formal nights, some were really dressed up, but others dressed in a modified 'smart casual' outfit - eg. a sparkly top with black pants.

Activities: It seems like Princess has a lot, I have seen adecline in NCL. I love on board lectures, crafts etc. The scholarship at sea sounds great. Do these cost money, I am assuming just some.

It was pretty dismal on the crown - not too much in the way of activities. Then again, I don't think they have a good CD. The level of activities will depend on who is running things on the particular ship/sailing you are on. Don't rely on old copies of the patters or freestyle daily.

Anything else I should be aware of?

There are only two speciality restaurants on Princess, the crown grill (the steak house) or Sabatini's. I really missed the wider variation on the NCL ships.

There are more things to pay for on Princess, notably the coffee card if you want to drink real coffee (not syrup). They push things like lemoncello, cookbooks and wine tasting in the dining room on princess.

They do have an ultimate ship tour on princess, to see behind the scenes - at $150pp. I was told it was facinating.

Thank you all!
I hope that helps!
Old November 26th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Admiral

Default Will let you know

After having done the Pacific Princess and not too thrilled.. we are moments away from leaving for a t/a on the NCL Gem (just waiting for our livery service). Some of the highlights on our Princess cruise was pottery painting, dance lessons and the well attended Trivia..lol.. To start off I already know several people who are going to be on our ship and our hotel in Barcelona.. certainly a much, much more friendlier group than those I met on the Princess. There are plans to meet BEFORE we board the ship..and other activities planned besides Meet and Greets... We did eat at Sabbatinis one night..interesting as there were courses and courses of appetizers and salads before the entree.. I've heard nothing but wonderful things about the service on the Gem..as for activities...I can't tell you yet.. this is a 13 day cruise.. Frankly I want to sit and read or be in the jazuzzi..
Old November 26th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom View Post
After having done the Pacific Princess and not too thrilled.. we are moments away from leaving for a t/a on the NCL Gem (just waiting for our livery service). Some of the highlights on our Princess cruise was pottery painting, dance lessons and the well attended Trivia..lol.. To start off I already know several people who are going to be on our ship and our hotel in Barcelona.. certainly a much, much more friendlier group than those I met on the Princess. There are plans to meet BEFORE we board the ship..and other activities planned besides Meet and Greets... We did eat at Sabbatinis one night..interesting as there were courses and courses of appetizers and salads before the entree.. I've heard nothing but wonderful things about the service on the Gem..as for activities...I can't tell you yet.. this is a 13 day cruise.. Frankly I want to sit and read or be in the jazuzzi..
Oh yes,, Parrot Pop is bringing a dark jacket and black pants and two dressy tops for me...