Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 10th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Passenger

Default First NCL Cruise...Need Some Gen. Info

OK...so I am officially booked on a last minute cruise for early next month. I will be cruising out of Miami on the "Dawn." I have a short window to get from the airport to the pier (flying into Miami). I don't arrive until 2:15PM and will be checked in via online. Question is...what is everyone's experience with getting to the pier at the last minute with NCL. I am anticipating getting to the pier by 2:45PM. Is NCL pretty good about getting people processed for embarkation?
Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Admiral

I would not be at all comfortable with that scenario. The potential point of failure will not likely be the cruise line, it will be the airline. I assume you are flying with a carry on and don't need to claim baggage.

One bit of weather, or congestion at an airport, a mechanical problem and you are hosed.

Do yourself a favor and call the airline to see if you can get an earlier flight. It isn't even worth taking the chance, even if the flight is free. Better to always fly in the day before if you can swing it. I remember one trip to Miami and our cab kept dieing. We were sitting in the middle of the street and it delayed our arrival substantially. You need to leave yourself a little more breathing room.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old December 10th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Passenger

Wow you are a gambler !!!
You really need to re-think that flight
Old December 11th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Passenger

Ok...found an alternate flight, but now the originating airport will be the tight schedule. If I make it onboard...I will get to Miami by 1:30PM, 45 minutes earlier than the previous flight. Guess I will cross my fingers when the time comes and just hope things work out as planned
Old December 11th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

If your flight times are "reasonably" on time you should have no problem making it to the ship on time. Cabs are plentiful at MIA and the trip to the port is only about twenty minutes.

The problem occurs if there is a delay in your flights. You need to be onboard ninety minutes before sail time.

One thing to remember is that almost all cruise line air flights arrive on the same day. Your revised time gives you more time but it's still close.

I advocate arriving the day before the cruise but there are circumstances that make this impossible and you need to do whatever you reasonably can in order to make the cruise.

I also advise you to take out insurance, in the event things don't work out.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 11th, 2009, 06:44 PM
First Mate

I agree with Mike M. Try flying in the day before and getting a hotel room. Less of a hassle that way. JMHO. What ever you decide good luck. Enjoy your cruise. Henry
Old December 12th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
If your flight times are "reasonably" on time you should have no problem making it to the ship on time. Cabs are plentiful at MIA and the trip to the port is only about twenty minutes.

The problem occurs if there is a delay in your flights. You need to be onboard ninety minutes before sail time.

One thing to remember is that almost all cruise line air flights arrive on the same day. Your revised time gives you more time but it's still close.

I advocate arriving the day before the cruise but there are circumstances that make this impossible and you need to do whatever you reasonably can in order to make the cruise.

I also advise you to take out insurance, in the event things don't work out.

Take care,
Mike

My rule is always to fly in the day before. I am breaking the rule this time just because of circumstances that I cannot change. The good news is that I will be in Orlando the day before and that is where my flight to Miami is originating so I don't have to worry about snow or anything like that. I do have to worry still about getting to the airport that afternoon to catch flight and then just worry that it takes off from Orlando on time or close to time. That is really the only issue...if I make it to the gate on time and if it leaves in time...I should have no issue making it from MIA to the pier before 3:00PM. I am traveling solo so I am also cramming my entire 5 day cruise into a carry-on and my laptop case. No check on luggage to worry about at the pier or at the airport.

I will post something from the ship (fingers crossed) and let everyone know that I made it or didn't make it. It will for sure be an adventure
Old December 15th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Passenger

Well...I thought about it long and hard and ended up canceling this cruise and re-booked myself on the one departing Miami on the 11th. That extra day frees up my logistical issue so now I am flying into Miami Sunday night (the 10th) and will be there a day ahead of my cruise which is what I normally do. I was stressing so much over the "what-if's" that it was causing me to lose sleep and I would have been a wreck had something gone wrong on that previous schedule.

Now I am on the Norwegian Sky for a 4 day cruise instead of the 5 day cruise on the Dawn.
Old December 15th, 2009, 06:28 PM
First Mate

I think you did the right thing. Now you can go a day early and relax. Enjoy your new cruise. Henry