Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Beginner

Default Barcelona before Jade

My husband and I will be in Barcelona for 2 days before we board the Jade. Any ideas on must sees? So far I've thought about the Spanish Village (Poble Espanyol de Montjuic, Las Ramblas, The Columbus Monument, The harbor cable car, and The Maritime Museum. We may have some time on the day we return to Barcelona since our flight back to the states isn't until 5 PM.

My husband was stationed in Roda (sp?) in the late 60s or early 70s, but I've never been to Spain and he only saw what was around the military base. So we're very excited to add this on to our cruise.

Sue
Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Admiral

I wish I did have some ideas, but it sounds like you are already about to hit the high spots. We haven't been to Barcalona, but have been to Madrid and the surrounding areas, I know you will have a blast. It is a great country to visit..

Nita
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Grab a guide book and jump on the,Hop on Hop Off Tourist Bus (Bus Turistic). There are the Red, the Blue and Green routes. The price has gone up to around 20 Euros but you can ride it all day and switch between the three routes. It is really a bargain. They will take you to all the major "must see" areas in Barcelona. I love the Gothic District.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 6th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Admiral

We have just spent our 4th pre-cruise in Barcelona and let me add..First, I highly recommend the Hotel Continental which is right at the top of La Rambla...then two blocks away on the right is the famous market which is a must see...just about on the other side of the street down a few streets is the Gaudi Chuch and Nativity Square...when we first toured the area I spotted a huge mural on a buildng..I asked our driver and he said it was a Nativity Scene by Picasso.. it blew my mind.. and last month got a chance to see it up close and personal and it's incredible.. The Hop on Hop Off bus can be a nusiance with the smoking and trying to hear everything.. The first year we went to Barcelona we hired thanks to a recommendation a guide and we saw more of Barcelona in one day than most people see in several.. The Gaudi influence is wonderful in neighborhoods..there is a wonderful sculpture by the beach of a Conquistidors Hat and Fish... and what was the Olympic Village. If you'd like to see pictures just taken.. parrotmom@verizon.net.. oh yes, we were on the NCL Gem