CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Norwegian Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Disembarkation (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/370598-disembarkation.html)

dubina January 8th, 2010 12:39 PM

Disembarkation

What should I expect for a reasonable disembarkation time after the boat docks at Long Beach? I don't want to fly out the next day, and my flight choices on the day of arrival are +3:15 hours at Long Beach Airport, +4 hours at Orange County Airport, and +7 hours, also at Orange County Airport.

I would think the NCL people would expedite our disembarkation to make either the 11:15 AM flight or the 12:00 PM flight, but I don't know. Shurely they would expedite our disembarkation if we had trip insurance and someone had to pay for getting us on a subsequent flight with an overnight hotel.

Any thoughts?

nmnita January 8th, 2010 02:17 PM

First of all, you will be cruising out of the port of Los Angeles, not Long Beach, the port of Los Angeles is in San Pedro and about a 20 minute drive by taxi from the Long Beach airport. I always recommend no one book a flight before noon on debarkation day. I can't imagine you will have any problems. NO, no not do Orange County, it is a much longer drive...Long Beach is a small and very managable airport..

Nita

dubina January 8th, 2010 07:45 PM

Nita, you said,

I always recommend no one book a flight before noon on debarkation day. I can't imagine you will have any problems.

My possible departure from Long Beach Airport is at 11:15 AM. The Star is scheduled to dock at 8:00 AM. Mixed signals: you always recommend no flights before noon, but you think I shouldn't have any problems (with departing Long Beach Airport at 11:15 AM I assume).

If you think my Long Beach departure would be OK, is there anything I can do beforehand to expedite my disembark so that I have no worry at the end?

Thanks,

Phil&Liz January 9th, 2010 10:42 AM

We also suggest a flight no earlier than noon for debark.

There are so many things involved in having a smooth trip that many do not learn about til they happen. This is all part of the "fun" of planning and researching a vacation. Look at the recent fog issues we had here in Galveston. The weather recently will certainly be a factor in airtravel.

Sometimes its not the time it takes to get to the airport but the unknown unexpected delays the ship might have getting to the pier in the first place.

You could have a smooth debark that starts late at 10am and miss the flight.

Unless you arrange ahead of time with the cruiseline for transfers to the airport, no one is responsible for you making your flight on time.

Phil & Liz

Mike M January 9th, 2010 11:01 AM

If everything goes OK then you could make an 11:15 a.m. flight out of Long Beach. You need to fill out your disembarkation form and let the front desk know you have an early flight to make sure you get off as soon as the ship is cleared. I also advise using a taxi rather than the ship's shuttle.

Also know that with the recent incidents it will take longer to get through security.

There are things that can and do happen to make getting off the ship take longer. If you are willing to take the gamble then go for the 11:15 a.m. flight. Just remember if you loose the ramifications are yours.

I would probably get a later flight unless the price of the 11:15 a.m. flight is so good it is worth the gamble.

Take care,
Mike

Phil&Liz January 10th, 2010 09:51 PM

And look...an example of just how unpredictable debark can be...
Suspicious liquid causes hundreds to be evacuated from Port Everglades terminal - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

"As passengers were disembarking, the agent saw Flynn drop an "unknown container of liquid", and detained him, Jachles said.

About 300 people, including cruise ship passengers, were in the terminal during the incident and were evacuated. Meanwhile, passengers still on the ship were required to remain aboard while hazardous materials technicians investigated.

Officials reopened the terminal about three hours after the incident. All port operations are back to normal, Jachles said."

Phil & Liz

nmnita January 11th, 2010 09:56 AM

Let's put it this way, I recommend being safe and not booking beforre noon, but I also know that 11:15 will probably work. It is like saying, I always recommend people fly in the day before the cruise for safety and to unwind, but there are times when flying in the day of the cruise works just fine. I guess it sounds like I am talking out of both sides of my mouth. I really am not, I am saying it will probably work, but I wouldn't take a chance. The positive thing, Long Beach airport is so small it is a dream to get through..

Nita