Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via MSN to Psychobabbl
Question Lamanai in Belize

Booked on Jewel 3/10 going to Belize. We want to see the ruins at Lamanai, and some of the posts have commented that it is dangerous in Belize if you don't take the cruise ship's tour, although it is expensive. What has been your experience??
Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychobabbl View Post
Booked on Jewel 3/10 going to Belize. We want to see the ruins at Lamanai, and some of the posts have commented that it is dangerous in Belize if you don't take the cruise ship's tour, although it is expensive. What has been your experience??
I didn't ever feel that I was in a dangerous area, but it is VERY remote (you are in the jungle). However, because it is so far away, I would definitely recommend a ship's tour. We went to Lamanai on the 10/30 Jewel Repo, and took this excursion (LOVED it!). We were on the first tender off the ship, and quickly loaded onto buses. The bus ride alone is about an hour and a half. Then you board a boat to travel down the New River (another hour). Unfortunately our boat had engine troubles and we were stranded in the middle of no where for about 45 minutes. No cell service, nothing. Our excellent guides finally got the engine fixed and we continued on our way, but at a much slower speed. Finally got to Lamanai, where we still enjoyed our lunch and then toured the ruines. Boat and bus back to Belize City JUST in time to make the last tender. However, we were assured that the ship would wait for us because we were on a ship's tour.

Because of the distance I would not recommend a private excursion, but I can't say enough about the trip itself, it was absolutely amazing. And the Jewel was wonderful too.......have a great cruise!
Old January 9th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Hi Ruth!!!
Good to see you! Hope all is well with you! Nice to see you over here!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 11th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Admiral

From a safety standpoint I don't think you would have to worry, but whenever a tour is long or quite a way from the ship you are better off biting the bullet and booking via the ship. Just my humble opinion.

Nita
Old January 15th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via MSN to Psychobabbl

Thanks!! Will book with the ship - and if you have the right attitude, every cruise is a great cruise!!
Old January 16th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Familiar Face

I've also done this excursion thru NCL years ago (I was on the Norwegian Sea!) and it is still one of my favorite excursions I've ever done. I thought it was well worth the money!
S/S Norway - 12/99
Norwegian Majesty - 11/02
Norwegian Sea - 12/02
Norwegian Star - 10/04
Norwegian Star - 04/05
Norwegian Jewel - 10/06
Norwegian Pearl - 6/07
Crown Princess - 10/08
Norwegian Spirit - 4/09
Star Clipper - 09/09
Celebrity Mercury - 10/09
Pride of America - 6/10