Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Susan in Maine
Default Question about Spirit to Bermuda

Our family is seriously looking at taking the NCL Spirit to Bermuda later this year. We've cruised several times on Princess, Royal Caribbean, and Disney.

We are: My parents (both 77), my husband and myself (53) and our daughter (11)

I have a few questions:

My father is both legally blind and hearing impaired. What special services does NCL offered for handicapped individuals?

I've read that NCL throws a GREAT party and that quiet deck space is pretty limited. We're NOT big party people - is this ship a bad choice for us?

Because of my father's handicaps, we really prefer traditional type dining. I know that NCL is FreeStyle. Is it possible to make reservations for the same server/time/dining room?

Thanks for all your help!

Susan in Maine
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Admiral

First, when you book your cruise request a handicapped cabin..Also, I've found that room numbers and the elevator area have raised braille. You will find the cruise lines and we just disembarked an NCL ship are very and I hate to use this phrase... handicapped friendly.. On our cruise we found in the buffet area chairs set aside for the handicapped, i.e. wheelchairs, walkers, blind, not to mention the staff going overboard in the buffet area to help you. BTW my husband is a few years older than your father and got along very well with his rollator. If there is a question of him needing a wheelchair...they will take him on and off the ship if need be. A neigbor who is legally blind has been on the Spirit several times and gets along well. As for a set time... since I have not been on t his particular ship I would speak to the Maitre de and request "reservations".. Now, the specialty restaurants like Cagneys, Le Bistro and I don't know which others on the Spirit do request reservations so that is no problem. To avoid what I like to call "chaos"..choose a cruise that is either before the kids are out of school and after they are back in..My neighbor, who is blind, says her only problem is the undisciplined kids running around.
Old February 13th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Passenger

Your TA should be able to help you with making a standing reservation in the main dining room given what you have written.

The Spirit also operates a bit differently regarding the reservations in the specialty (extra charge) restaurants. You can make reservations for these for the whole week when you first board.

If you are staying in a suite the concierge will take care of any needs that you may need.

I have been on this ship twice and did the Boston to Bermuda cruise last year. We love the ship. Last year we were on with my parents so three generations sailed together. It was a great time. The three days in Bermuda made it even better.

The NCL Dawn will be replacing the Spirit for the Boston to Bermuda cruises in 2011.
Old February 21st, 2010, 09:55 PM
Familiar Face

Hi Susan,
I guess I could qualify myself as a 'Bermudaphile' only have been going there for 30+ years! You questions are very good, and I'd like to help with a few answers. First, I know that 'open dining' has it's advantage/disadvantage. I would definately let the maitre'd know IN ADVANCE of your needs, and request a time to eat. I think they'll be able accomodate your reuqest.
As far as parties, I'm not familiar with all the details, but having been on several cruises, I tend to stay away from 'party time' just because....I choose not to participate in them!
As far as your father's needs, you may want to call the Bda. Dept. of Tourism in NYC and inquire about a special van or vehicle that accomodate you and your party. Normally the taxi's are pretty roomy, but with your needs, you may want to tell then what specific needs you have for transportation, and they can point you in the right direction. I know of one or two specific companies who deal with such issues, and I hope the Dept. can be of help.
Bermuda is a 'low pressure' island, and the people are very hospitible and friendly. If they say 'good morning' to you, they expect you to return the compliment. If you want a relaxing day, the beaches on South Shore are a great wayto enjoy the water, air and your daughter.
Mike