Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Passenger

Default First time on NCL

I just booked our first NCL cruise on the Norwegian Spirit leaving from NOLA on Jan 16, 2011. We have always cruised on Carnival in the past and love it. The cabins look considerable smaller on this ship than on most of Carnival's. Other than that and the whole freestyle thing, everything else seems pretty similar.

For those of you who have sailed on both Carnival and NCL, can you tell me if I will likely love NCL as much as Carnival? We have 4 kids and the kids programs are sometimes the reason why we book certain ships. Thanks for any input positive or negative. I'm sure we'll be happy since we just love to cruise
Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Admiral

ok, kids program, depending on the age of the kids, I think you will be as happy or happier with NCL than Carnival, but both have great kids programs...Yes, the cabins are smaller on NCL. One positive thing about Carnival is the larger cabins.

I doubt you will find much differences in the two lines. I honestly think, RCI, NCL and Carnival are very similar, but each has a personality all their own. The kids will enjoy Freesyle..If they are old enough they can just eat whenever they want, to heck with you. One thing lots of people like to do,especially the younger set is eat dinner, then return to the dining room about 9pm for dessert..

i am sure you will all have an awesome time, enjoy your new experience. I know you have a year to go, but that gives you lots of time to plan and get excited.

Nita
Old February 5th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Passenger

Thank you, Nita. That's pretty much what I was thinking. This will be the first time sailing in an interior, but we got an awesome deal that we simply could not pass up.
Old February 13th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Passenger

I love the Spirit for many reasons. However, the cabins on the Spirit are smaller than what we experienced on Carnival.

There are a few inside cabins that are larger. 5035, 6035, and 6535 are all 200 sq. feet. There are a few others that are 190 sq. feet, 175 and 160 sq. feet. The standard inside is 149 sq. feet. All have three lower beds and one upper berth. This makes for tight quarters if you have 4 in a cabin.

Enjoy your cruise on the Spirit. It was just announced this week that the NCL Spirit will come to Boston again for summer 2010 to go to Bermuda again. The ship will return to New Orleans in the fall and stay for the year to do Western Caribbean cruises for summer 2011.
Old February 13th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

You've already received good information. Carnival and NCL are similar and I think you and the family will have a good time. I will add that you should add a few dollars to your budget and enjoy a couple of the alternative restaurants. Cagney's and Le Bistro would be nice if you can leave the kids alone for an evening. The nice thing is you can go and have dinner and get the kids fed and then go out on your own.

No matter what I believe you will have a good time. If you have the 142 sq. ft. cabin it will be a little tight but manageable.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 13th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Passenger

I appreciate all the information. After researching NCL I just felt like the vacation experience we receive on Carnival far surpasses that of NCL. We have bigger ocean view rooms for $600 or so less than NCL. The only specialty dining we have to pay for is the steakhouse (I was excited to eat in Le Bistro, I must admit that), the drink prices (from the menus I've seen) are higher than Carnival's. Right now while we have the four little kids, I just figure it's better to be more spread out rather than cramped. When they are older and doing their own thing and are in their own cabins, then we can compromise and go to smaller quarters.

We will definitely try NCL in the future. It just doesn't seem like a good fit for us at this time.
Old February 13th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Hi brina, it sounds like you've really done your research about the difference between Carnival and NCL for your family. We've cruised both lines and enjoyed both lines, but we don't have any young children. I know that can make a big difference .

I'm looking forward to a review from you after your cruise .

I hope you all have a wonderful cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 3rd, 2010, 01:31 PM
Familiar Face

Been on both, NCL for the win! We didn't take the kids on either one

~ Future Cruises ~
~ None ~

~ Past Cruises ~
RCI - Vision of the Seas - 2003
RCI - Monarch of the Seas - 2004
NCL - Norwegian Sun - 2006
CCL - Paradise - 2007
CCL - Splendor - 2010
CCL - Spirit - 2011
CCL - Inspiration - 2011
Old March 3rd, 2010, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Default Ncl spirit leaving boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimswims View Post
I love the Spirit for many reasons. However, the cabins on the Spirit are smaller than what we experienced on Carnival.

There are a few inside cabins that are larger. 5035, 6035, and 6535 are all 200 sq. feet. There are a few others that are 190 sq. feet, 175 and 160 sq. feet. The standard inside is 149 sq. feet. All have three lower beds and one upper berth. This makes for tight quarters if you have 4 in a cabin.

Enjoy your cruise on the Spirit. It was just announced this week that the NCL Spirit will come to Boston again for summer 2010 to go to Bermuda again. The ship will return to New Orleans in the fall and stay for the year to do Western Caribbean cruises for summer 2011.

PERSONally, although I haven't been on the Spirit it's an absolute "bummer', the ship was I believe made for the oriental market and is not a cookie cutter ship...oriental decor and from what I hear a wonderful atmosphere..
Old March 20th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom View Post

PERSONally, although I haven't been on the Spirit it's an absolute "bummer', the ship was I believe made for the oriental market and is not a cookie cutter ship...oriental decor and from what I hear a wonderful atmosphere..
Hi Parrot Mom,
I have been lucky to sail the Majesty, Dream, Dawn, and the Spirit and the Spirit. You are correct in that the Spirit is so different from all of these. The decor is beautiful. The Centrum has so much natural light and is a beautiful place to sit and enjoy. There are some really nice touches with wood decks and brass. We really do love the Spirit. We are branching out and going on the Pearl this year and the Gem next year so we will see if the Spirit is still our favorite NCL ship after.

I hope you have a chance to enjoy the Spirit before she leaves Boston and the Dawn replaces her.
Old March 20th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Admiral

Cool Ncl spirit leaving boston

Sadly, we won't have the opportunity.. It seems we were about to check prices at the travel show in Boston a few weeks ago and incredible to believe but it's less $$ to sail the Soltice from Florida than the Spirit from Boston (including airfare, Aqua class and a motel overnight).. The ship is so wildly popular as is the destination that there is no reason to lower prices..
Old March 20th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom View Post
Sadly, we won't have the opportunity.. It seems we were about to check prices at the travel show in Boston a few weeks ago and incredible to believe but it's less $$ to sail the Soltice from Florida than the Spirit from Boston (including airfare, Aqua class and a motel overnight).. The ship is so wildly popular as is the destination that there is no reason to lower prices..
I was at the Travel show too! My sister is a TA and was working it so decided to go and visit.

Enjoy the Solstice! That sounds like a great deal. That ship is also on my list to try someday.
Old March 20th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Admiral

Cool Travel Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimswims View Post
I was at the Travel show too! My sister is a TA and was working it so decided to go and visit.

Enjoy the Solstice! That sounds like a great deal. That ship is also on my list to try someday.

Thought I got a bargain buying directly from Celebrity.. got to the show and a cruise agency had a large presence for the first time (won't mention name) and they were offering same price and large OBC.. But I wonder if I would have gotten the Aqua deal for only $29.00 more at the show...Love that travel show..wouldn't miss it for the world, have gone every year since it started. Will probably write a review of Soltice.. if I remember to take notes..