CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Norwegian Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Blue Bell? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/371966-blue-bell.html)

isshin February 22nd, 2010 10:24 PM

Blue Bell?

Hi... will be sailing on the Pearl to Alaska in June, our first NCL cruise. I read in another thread that the ice cream at the ice cream bar is Blue Bell brand. Does anyone know if that is so? My sons both LOVE Blue Bell ice cream which isn't available in Michigan where we now live. It would be such a fun surprise for them to discover the Blue Bell on the ship! (I know... such a trivial thing... but we love Blue Bell so much I've often packed it in a cooler with dry ice for the drive from Alabama (our "home") to Michigan (where we live!)

Snoozeman February 22nd, 2010 11:18 PM

Blue Bell--The BEST ice cream in the country!:)

Irish Girl February 23rd, 2010 05:35 AM

I live in Michigan and they have Blue Bell ice cream at WalMart. That's the only place I've ever seen it.

But, I like Hudsonville Ice Cream...Michigan Deer Traxx is the best!!!

isshin February 24th, 2010 08:51 AM

Wal Mart? Really! The Wal Marts around me don't carry it... they have Blue Bunny ice cream. I'm in the Detroit suburbs. Are you anywhere close... I'd drive a good little distance to find my Blue Bell! :)

Snoozeman February 24th, 2010 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isshin (Post 1276339)
Wal Mart? Really! The Wal Marts around me don't carry it... they have Blue Bunny ice cream. I'm in the Detroit suburbs. Are you anywhere close... I'd drive a good little distance to find my Blue Bell! :)

I would be surprised if Walmart (outside the south) sold Blue Bell. Afterall, we eat all we can and we sell the rest. I've only seen it in Texas, Oklahoma, & Louisiana, but it could be other surrounding states.

isshin February 24th, 2010 05:29 PM

It is available in Alabama and for a while Ruby Tuesday's here in Michigan had it on their dessert menu but have quit carrying it. One of the chain steakhouses, either Outback or Longhorn, uses it too. One time one of my neighbor's who was fortunate to sample our 'imported' Blue Bell bought a whole container of it... by the single serving!! For some reason the restaurant couldn't sell the container to him, but would sell the ice cream in single 'to-go' containers! My nineteen year old who didn't really want to do an Alaskan cruise instead of a Caribbean one, would be happy to just eat Blue Bell all day, even in Alaska! :)

Fern February 24th, 2010 07:47 PM

Here's some info from the Blue Bell site:

Q: Where can I buy Blue Bell?

A: Blue Bell is available in all or part of 17 states. Blue Bell is available in all of the following states: Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina. Blue Bell is also available in some parts of the following states: Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, North Carolina and Florida.

See Blue Bell:
Frequently Asked Questions

Here in Arkansas we LOVE our Yarnell's ( http://www.yarnells.com/ )ice cream :D!

Okay, now I'm really hungry for ice cream :shock:,

beenie weenie February 24th, 2010 10:29 PM

I think the best ice cream I ever found was served in square scoops at the Thrifty Drug Store when I lived in Arizona back in the 80's. It was wonderful! I wonder if it's still there.

nmnita February 26th, 2010 11:21 AM

Beenie, I don't think so, most Thrifty drug stores are gone, but I do remember the scoops. I remember and am going back a long time when a double scoop was a dime, then it went to 15 cents for 1 and 25 cents for two. From there up and up. Now we know the rest of the story..

Irish Girl February 26th, 2010 04:56 PM

Sorry, I must have mistaken Blue Bunny for Blue Bell.

I still like Hudsonville Ice Cream.