Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Norwegian Epic First Cruise June 24

I am currently booked in one of those newly famous studio staterooms for the first Norwegian Epic cruise. NCL had offered to me a two-day media cruise from Miami on July 8, as they have planned for all the "regular" media, but I think as a "cruise news web site" I really need to be there earlier. There is a passenger transatlantic cruise long before that, leaving June 24. So, I booked my own passage in one of the last remaining studios on sale. I am really looking forward to seeing this ship as it sounds exceptional, especially from an entertainment perspective.
Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Paul, I'll be looking forward to your thoughts on these cabins.

While we don't need one, two of my good friends might book one to go with us on a cruise. One is single and not looking and the other is married, but her husband refuses to cruise (I don't know what's wrong with him !). Neither would be comfortable sharing a cabin with us so this might be the solution.

It also would be good for a younger adult cruising with their parents or other family members.

Have a great time and behave yourself ,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 31st, 2010, 02:30 PM
Beginner

Smile

I am so excited about this ship! I am booked on the 2-day press cruise with my work as well as a 7-day voyage in September. I have been more excited about the Epic than I was about the Oasis.
Old March 31st, 2010, 02:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Good for you DV.

Maybe you could tell us WHY you are more excited about Epic than Oasis? Obviously we are going to be seeing a lot of comparisons between the two ships in the future.
Old April 1st, 2010, 10:43 AM
Beginner

Smile

While the Oasis is new and innovative in terms of size. I feel like it is just an overgrown Royal Carib ship. There doesn't seem to be as many new things onboard the Oasis as there is on the Epic.
The Epic has things never done before on ships, like The Blue Man Group. The Cirque de dreams dinner, and the Ice Bar. The cabins and are completely different with the new Wave concept. I also think that the studio cabins will be a game changer in the industry.
NCL has a habit of coming out with something new and then all the other cruiselines follow suit. For example, Freestyle Dining. NCL started it and now most of the major cruise lines offer it.
While Oasis does have all the bells and whistles I don't think it will be as big of a game changer as the Epic.
Old April 1st, 2010, 11:41 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Paul,

I look forward to "bugging" you with questions after you return. I'm really looking forward to the CM Epic cruise in October and I want to get as much first hand information as I can.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 3rd, 2010, 11:43 AM
Captain

See you onboard Paul. Though about a Studio but having never cruised in an inside cabin I had to pass. Should be unique experience. I heard Klaus commenting on the last NCL webcast how great the Living Room space was when he walked the ship last.

I am looking forward to this cruise. I was waitlisted before cabins went on sale. Started with an aft facing AC. I noticed that first week the A3 Courtyard Villas were only $200 more for twice the space and in the courtyard complex. That same cabin is now $3500 more.

Booked air back in October and was able to get one way non stop on Virgin through a consolidater for only $400. Booked Jurys Inn for 59 GBP with breakfast that is now 125 GBP. I have two nights in Southanpton to figure out what to do. I was hoping they would open the 2 nighter prior to the public like they did for the Gem and Pearl but that is not going to be the case.

Everything is done including my ticket in hand for National Express coach to Southampton from LHR. Even completed my online NCL check-in. All I have to do now is wait.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old April 21st, 2010, 06:27 PM
Beginner

Hi Paul,

I'll be on that maiden TA voyage, also in a Studio Stateroom. I'm dying to see how the space works out with the communal lounge.

Overall, it's easy to think of Epic in terms of cliches such as Cutting Edge or Ground Breaking. But, I suspect, no less true simply for being cliches.

There's so much going on, apparently, that my real regret is that the TransAtlantic is only a week . . . nowhere near enough tine to explore and sample everything.
Old May 1st, 2010, 03:12 PM
Captain

Add me to the list of anxious people waiting to read what you have to say. We JUST booked a transatlantic in Oct '11 and am very excited about the booking (something I never thought I would say about NCL ever again BUT I really hope "Epic" turns out to be fantastic). As a relatively new T/A, but veteran cruiser, I try hard to be objective and recently took advantage of the NCL's "let's do lunch" boarding for registered T/A's. It was quite nice and I do hope "Epic" is all it is reported to be, Robbie

Plus I truly hope you have a GREAT crossing Paul!
Old May 1st, 2010, 04:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Thanks Robbie - so you are taking her back to barcelona, eh?

Absolute best of luck on your new career!
Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:12 AM
Captain

Thanks so much! And we have to wait to bring her back to Miami from Barcelona. Scheduling and cost were a factor because we went nuts and booked a suite so we could experience the private courtyard.
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Captain

I am surprised no US coverage of the fire Monday on the Epic. This cruise could be at risk. They are still reviewing the damage. Google translation a bit odd.

UPDATE:

Norwegian Fire Epic: considerable damage

The fire began Monday night on deck 4 probably in a waste bin. Clumsiness or malice, the investigation begins. The damage is significant but the disaster was narrowly averted.
Why? How?

What happened Monday night around 23 pm, bridge 4?

150-200 employees working on board. Especially staff of the company who provides logistics AltéAd the liner at the end of construction. The fire was probably hatched when the fire alarm goes off. The security men of the ship are the first on the scene. The space is already very smoky and temperature untenable. Firefighters arrived from Saint-Nazaire while the chilling room 4 is the bridge ablaze. The flames lick the upper deck where they demand very rapid reinforcement. Six pumps vans, an ambulance, an airway cell and finally the cell fire ship Saint-Herblain, a fifty firefighters into action under the command of Regnier, then commander of Walter. All employees who were working at night have been evacuated. The fire was extinguished at 2 am 30, but they secure other bridges until 6 am.

What is the ampleurde disaster?

It is messy, but it is a real blaze of several bridges that firefighters were avoided. "The fire doors have played their role well. And the crew was perfectly guided firefighters, shows the commanding Christian Regnier, head column during the intervention. We had to cool the bridges 5 and 3 to restrict the fire. At one point, we really feared the move to the upper deck. Yesterday morning, the engineers have come Chantiers see the extent of damage. They extend over an area of 1200 m2, but really serious damage is limited to a zone a few tens of meters-squared. The plates that make up the bridges are so hot they are deformed. The wiring is also partly destroyed.

What do the first elements of the investigation?

Safety investigators urban Saint-Nazaire found the site from 3 am. They came back, especially with forensic technicians yesterday morning. A legal expert designated by the prosecution also analyzed the site affected. According to preliminary observations, the fire was from a dumpster full of waste and spread to mattresses stored before being installed in cabs. "There were cigarette butts in the bucket," says the prosecutor Florence Lecoq. Two assumptions are emphasized: the cigarette thrown by negligence or malicious act. Last important point, the sprinkler system, fire has triggered much, "but it was discontinued due to a valve not closed," says the prosecutor.

The vessel can be delivered time?

Yesterday, management wanted to remain optimistic. However it was not yet able to determine that the repairs would be limited to the bridge 4 or whether to take the structures of metal deck 5. One encouraging sign: the work has resumed on the whole ship from the hiring of the morning shift on Tuesday. The company has the opportunity to engage the world and mobilize teams of night to repair, while work continues on the remains of the ship. Additional costs likely covered by insurance and although it is less than the liquidated damages that could claim the customer. The maiden voyage to New York, is from Southampton on June 24 Then the ship pulls a busy schedule of cruises from Miami, to € 1,500 a week. Reservations that the owner did not want to cancel!

Source:
http://www.ouest-france.fr/actu/actuLocale_-Incendie-du-Norwegian-Epic-des-degats-considerables-_-1362179------44184-aud_actu.Htm

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old May 5th, 2010, 05:42 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to pridevacation

Norwegian Epic sustains reportedly minor fire damage

A fire broke out Monday night on the 150,000-ton Norwegian Epic at STX France’s shipyard in St. Nazaire, France, where the vessel is under construction.
Norwegian Cruise Line said it was notified by the shipyard that there was a fire in one of the Epic’s provisioning areas on Deck 4.

Finnish cruise publication Cruise Business Review said that the fire broke out just after 11 p.m. Monday on the rear of Deck 4, and mostly caused damage to wiring. The report said that firefighters were able to prevent the fire from spreading to other parts of the ship.

NCL said that a full investigation is under way to determine the cause and extent of damage, and that the ship’s June 24 maiden cruise and July naming in New York are still on track.
June 4, 20004 American Queen
November 20, 2004RCCL Grandeur/Seas
January 29, 2005 Carnival Sensation
September 11, 2006 Carnival Holiday
Old May 15th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Beginner

Hey, This is benjamin. I have read EPC brochure many times.. look like I would like to go. I hope that fire doesn't delay cruise plans. What about people who booked 4 days western mediterranean roundtrip barcelona on may 18th? look like cancellation?
Old May 15th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

We have not received an update. At this point I would say no news is good news.
Old May 15th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Beginner

I'm taking the Epic April 2011, booked a studio. Can't wait to hear how they are?? Reading about the fire makes be very nervous! Not a veteran cruiser..This will be my third.

Last edited by cruisin2010; May 15th, 2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to sergej

It sounds terrible. is there any changes on schedule ?

It is not big deal if they postpone now start at 24 Juni
for some days (or even weeks) .

But if they postpone start just before 24 Juli, a can lost
really a lot of money for airplane tickets.

So any news would be much better for me as no news.
And I can imagine that a lot of people have such plans to fly before or after
cruise.

The most fear people have from unknown stuff and not from any news
Old May 21st, 2010, 07:53 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I am currently booked in one of those newly famous studio staterooms for the first Norwegian Epic cruise. NCL had offered to me a two-day media cruise from Miami on July 8, as they have planned for all the "regular" media, but I think as a "cruise news web site" I really need to be there earlier. There is a passenger transatlantic cruise long before that, leaving June 24. So, I booked my own passage in one of the last remaining studios on sale. I am really looking forward to seeing this ship as it sounds exceptional, especially from an entertainment perspective.
Paul, I am booked in a Studio for the "Crossing" on JUNE 24TH. I'll be alone and decided to book the Epic when I saw the Studios. On such a big ship, I thought this might be a less crowded and perhaps a little more secure with our own little community. I am going to Norway on the Oriana June 2 and didn't plan to sail home, but this is too good to pass up!! See you on the ship!!
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:25 AM
First Mate

See you onboard Paul.

I probably start on the 21st in Rotterdam (1-Nighter). But the trans-atlantic is solidly booked.

If you don't mind I like to take some pictures of your Studio as I know some people who may be interested.