Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 12th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Beginner

Default Help! Lots of questions

Getting ready to book a cruise in November with NCL, this will be our first time cruising and I feel so overwhelmed, this site has been a great help though! Here's some questions I had:

- we are travelling with our baby, who will be 19 months at the time, any advice on travelling with a baby??
- i've read that sometimes it's cheaper to pay for your own shore excursions, what kind of things are available in the Bahamas? (Nassau, GBI, etc) How much cheaper and better is it to go with one of the local tour guides or whatever...do they also offer dolphin intraction?
- We'll be going on the Norwegian Sky..any reviews/opinions about this ship?
- Is the food really as bad as some ppl have made it out to be, or is it mainly the fact that it's repetitive?
- What kind of excursions do you recommend with a baby?
- How hard is it really to smuggle in alcohol in your checked bags?
- Will it be easy for me to get warm milk for my baby from room service or the restaraunts?
- Should we bring our own snacks? What does the room service menu offer? I'd love to do breakfast on our balcony.
- Can I bring my own soda?
- Do they provide water bottles or should I bring my own?
- Is it difficult to bathe a baby in the shower? I heard they had the hand held shower heads, would I be able to fit in the shower with my baby?
- I know the rooms are small, so how many peices of luggage would your reccomend? Will my bags fit under the bed?

Thanks for all of the help!
Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to sergej

>>- How hard is it really to smuggle in alcohol in your checked bags?

Quite easy, all what you need is to bribe captain.
Old April 12th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Passenger

Hi Welcome Aboard:
I'll try and answer as many questions as I can.
First I've never traveled with a small child but I've seen many who have.
As far as the shower some friends of ours bought a small blow up pool and used it in the shower for thier grandchild and even took it on deck so that the baby could play
in the water.
Yes you can bring your own sodas and water on board, there's a charge for bottled
water on board, we just drink the ships water it's purified and filtered.
If you've never been to the Bahamas before a ship excursion might be the best ,the
ones that are family friendly will listed.
Breakfast from room service is like continental pastries, cereal etc.
you can go up to lido and get what you want from the buffet and take it back to
your room we've done that before.
We always store our suitcases under the bed our 26" ones fit you can put two under
each twin or four if pushed together.
We've always found the food to be very good but that's our opinion and have never found it to be boring or not enough variety, but foods very subjective ,good to me bad for you.
If you go with an open mind you'll have a wonderful time.
The aquarium at Atlantis is very good.
Hope this helps have a great cruise
Old April 12th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by first-timer View Post
Getting ready to book a cruise in November with NCL, this will be our first time cruising and I feel so overwhelmed, this site has been a great help though! Here's some questions I had:

- we are travelling with our baby, who will be 19 months at the time, any advice on travelling with a baby?? Not to be rude, but is there any way the baby can stay with Grandma while you cruise? I know it's hard to leave them, but you'll be on the baby's schedule and will miss so much.
- i've read that sometimes it's cheaper to pay for your own shore excursions, what kind of things are available in the Bahamas? (Nassau, GBI, etc) How much cheaper and better is it to go with one of the local tour guides or whatever...do they also offer dolphin intraction? On a first cruise I'd stick with the ship's excursions.
- We'll be going on the Norwegian Sky..any reviews/opinions about this ship? Haven't been on the Sky, but we've been on the Sun and loved it!
- Is the food really as bad as some ppl have made it out to be, or is it mainly the fact that it's repetitive? We found the food to be just fair, but never went hungry! It's really not repetitive.
- What kind of excursions do you recommend with a baby? Just walk around the port.
- How hard is it really to smuggle in alcohol in your checked bags? They check some, they don't check other's. It's a toss up!
- Will it be easy for me to get warm milk for my baby from room service or the restaraunts? Yes.
- Should we bring our own snacks? What does the room service menu offer? I'd love to do breakfast on our balcony. I think you'll be fine with the Room Service offerings. You can also go to the buffet and bring your plate(s) back to the cabin to eat on the balcony.
- Can I bring my own soda? Yes, a "reasonable" amount!
- Do they provide water bottles or should I bring my own? Bring your own to refill. They sell bottled water onboard, but the ship's water is just as good if not better that what you can buy.
- Is it difficult to bathe a baby in the shower? I heard they had the hand held shower heads, would I be able to fit in the shower with my baby? I've seen where people bring a small blow up pool to bathe their babies and younger children who don't like the shower. You could also bring it on deck if you're into sunbathing and swimming. Check the Family board for more info.
- I know the rooms are small, so how many peices of luggage would your reccomend? Will my bags fit under the bed? Our 2 bags do fit under the bed. Unless they are really deep you should have no problem.

Thanks for all of the help!
All of this is JMHO. I'm sure other's will be along to give you other, maybe better, answers.

Have a wonderful cruise,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014