Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 17th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Beginner

Default Time at each destination?

I'm positive this has been covered somewhere before, but my lack of creativity in search terms has left me empty-handed.

My fiance and I are thinking about taking a cruise on the Jade next year, as part of our honeymoon. However, looking at the itinerary, it seems that there's not a whole lot of time spent in some places. Especially when you read the print at the bottom of the page that states disembarkation begins 2 hours after docking, and passengers must all be back on board 2 hours prior to sailing.

For some locations, that leaves very little time actually experiencing the places visited. Example: arriving Split at 11 am, departing at 6 pm. Does that mean I'll actually only be able to spend the hours of 1 pm - 4 pm in this destination? I'm really hoping I'm misunderstanding and they're referring to being on board 2 hours before the intial departure, and disembarking 2 hours after the final docking...
Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Admiral

Hi there, and firstly Congratulations !!!

unless there are passport/visa issue to be taken into account, then if your port of call reads 11 'til 6 then you will be able to get ashore at or around 11 am, but will need to be back on board around 5pm - some ports & cruiselines may say 5:30, but an hour is a good rule of thumb.
The best way of gauging how much time you will get ashore is to look at the tours being offered, and see how long the full day tours are marked up as.

If still in doubt, it would be worth contacting the cruise line for confirmation.

Hope this helps, and we wish you both a great marriage, honeymoon and cruise,

Alan & Katrina
followed by: Queen Elizabeth December 2014

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old April 17th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Kanda is correct. You will be able to leave the ship around the time, or shortly after, the published docking time. I usually allow a half hour to let the tour groups get off. If you are in a full suite you will be given priority to leave the ship. If there are passport issues then this could delay letting people off the ship but these issues are not too common on these itineraries.

You should be back onboard 1 hour before the published departure time. There are some people who come back two to three hours before. I personally believe that this is overkill and just be responsible and get back about an hour before.

I agree that often there isn't enough time in ports but if you choose the most important things you want to see or do you can make the most of your time.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 17th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by justginger View Post
I'm really hoping I'm misunderstanding and they're referring to being on board 2 hours before the intial departure, and disembarking 2 hours after the final docking...
Hi Ginger, welcome to CM's! Yes, and you're not the first to misunderstand this! It only applies to initial embarkation and final debarkation. On the final day I wouldn't count on two hours after docking if you're making flight arrangements. Go by the times the cruise line recomends, that way you won't stress out after a wonderful, relaxing cruise !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old April 18th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Beginner

Thanks for clearing that up, guys. That makes me much more willing to take the Jade, as I felt that cutting 4 hours off each stop was just too much. I've been considering taking one of the smaller companies, like Louis, since the boats seem better suited to the Greek Islands (size-wise), but there are some shocking stories about them. We're not cruising for luxury, simply are trying to get around to multiple destinations, but don't want to be jerked around and left without much of a holiday, like Louis seem apt to do.

At the moment the plan is 5 days in Paris, overnight train to Venice, Jade for 14 days, train up to Jungfrau area, 5 days there, and then back to up Paris to come home. I've done Europe before (not all of the places Jade goes though), so am still considering scrapping it all and going to Alaska instead. Anyone have preference for cold versus warm sailing, Alaska versus Mediterranean?