Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2010, 10:26 AM
Admiral

Default Epic question

Well first the good news, Katrina has just watched the Epic sail past her offices, so it has officially arrived in Southampton :o)

Now for the question - where is the Prom Deck ?
From what Katrina could see, there is no Prom Deck on the Epic, is this a standard feature of NCL (or US based) cruise ships. The only NCL we've been on was Jade, and that did have one. So have the powers that be realised that decks are not only expensive due to the amount of maintenance, but also lost revenue as they can be used for stateroom space?

I love to be as low to the sea as I can get to watch the sealife go by, will I have to dangle off the anchor in future, or did she just miss it?

thanks,

Alan.

Next: Queen Elizabeth December 2014
Followed by: Minerva April 2015

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(6), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2010, 01:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

It does seem that most new cruise ships are eliminating or decreasing the size of the promenade. A number of ships no longer have a promenade deck that wraps around the entire ship. Many require that you go up and down a deck in order to go all the way around.

I will have to agree that the promenade decks are not a great use of space. I have rarely seen many people using them. The jogging/walking tracks have replaced them for walkers and the increase in balcony cabins make them less popular for viewing.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 22nd, 2010, 09:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Promenade decks harken back to the romantic days of cruising, when, sweethearts would take to the deck for some fresh sea air..With the changing architecture of ships, and the wants and needs of the modern cruiser, if you don't use it, you lose it....que sera sera

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 23rd, 2010, 04:23 AM
Admiral

Default I found it :o)

When Katrina got home we enlarged her photo's and found that there is a prom deck of sorts, it is tucked away behind the 10 (is that all?) life rafts with only a very small section open to view the sea.

Guess I'll be hanging off the anchor then

Alan

Next: Queen Elizabeth December 2014
Followed by: Minerva April 2015

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(6), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old June 23rd, 2010, 08:18 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Even Oasis has a nicer PROM DECK.

I am now at heathrow now and about to get on the bus to southampton. I WILL SEE THE SHIP SOON, I THINK.