Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 23rd, 2010, 05:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Epic bathroom/privacy issues:(

I am waiting with bated breath for Paul's first hand revue of the Epic's tri zone bathroom placement debaucle. Ok, I can "sort of" live with the sink out of the bathroom, but to have the toilet and the shower, on either side of the entry, is a bit off putting to say the least.

I was just over on Twitter, and found a picture of someone in the loo, and you could see through the frosted door.....some one get me a brown paper bag, I am going to hyperventilate!! I hope they have curtains that will withstand the $%$^$ cruisers who will whip them around the tracks in disgust!

I want to know what nudist ship designer, thought this was going to be a welcome new twist on cabin design!

So, all of you who have booked, and all who are thinking of booking what I know will be a fabulous ship, in all other respects, what do you think??

Paul, hurry, we need to hear your thoughts...also can you hear anything as you walk the hallways? Lord knows I hope they are well insulated!!

There is an old saying NCL, If it ain't broke,don't fix it!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; June 23rd, 2010 at 08:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2010, 07:43 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Trip:

I too am a bit concerned. Initially I thought that it was just the sink outside of the bathroom and that was no big thing. Now I see the sink is in the main cabin and the toilet is in a separate glass enclosure and the shower is in another on the other side of the cabin and I am not happy. The glass looks frosted but not completely. This is fine if I'm just sailing with my wife but if I was with kids or someone else I wouldn't like it one bit.

It also looks like you have to pull a curtain across the front of the cabin to block off the bathroom area. Even then the bathroom area is next to the door. That will make life fun for anyone who wants to leave if someone is drying or using the facilities.

I hope the shower is large enough for me to dry off in there, otherwise there will be water on the entrance area floor and this could be a nasty hazard.

I look forward to hearing from Paul about this configuration and if it is as bad as the pictures show.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 23rd, 2010, 08:41 PM
Admiral

Gene Sloan's latest report says the split bathroom in the solo cabins is much better than in the balcony cabins.

I am really at a loss to garner the logic used in this design. NCL would be foolish to not realize that if the fawning press they invited aboard for the initial freebie cruises are bashing these new bathrooms, it will only get worse once paying passengers with their 2.1 kids show up.

I hope Paul gets to look at one of the wavy balcony cabins. At this point it is a deal breaker for us. Just like that.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 09:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to T C Send a message via AIM to T C

Just curious?? I thought this design was only for the "solo" cabins Are you saying that "all" the cabins on the ship will have this split bathroom design? I wonder why they would do that ?
TC

But why is the rum gone? ~ Capt. Jack Sparrow

also booked: 10/10/13 Carnival Victory B2B, 01/12/14 Carnival Sunshine
Old June 23rd, 2010, 10:08 PM
Admiral

My understanding is this bathroom layout is in all cabins, with the possible exception of the large suites. Plumbing-wise, they really have to stick with the layout in order to route piping for waste water and sewage.
Old June 24th, 2010, 02:40 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Yes, as far as I know it is the same setup for all cabins, Gene even said the studio staterooms were slightly better for the sink and the shower layout.

Carolyn Spencer Brown suggested the ship will need an early dry dock to fix these issues - not looking too good for Epic bathrooms right now.

By the way - you might as well get used to hearing it, "It was Colin's fault."

Colin Veitch was the former CEO of NCL who was let go lasy year and replaced by Kevin Sheehan. Word is that he was somewhat tyrannical to work under (according to a nameless person at NCL whom I asked but shall remain nameless since he is now an EVP of sales & marketing).

Meanwhile - it seems to me that if anthing NCL has gone too far the other way, at least in terms of tone. Colin may have been tyrannical, but now the press briefings are just goofy - full of giggling and inside jokes - not a very tight ship in the PR department, but that is just MY humble opinion - and who cares about that - right?

Anyway - word is that "it's all Colin's fault" - the placement of the Courtyard Suites - the stateroom design, etc. We all know current management isn't capable of admitting, OOPS, I mean "making" a mistake.
Old June 24th, 2010, 02:45 AM
Administrator
Admiral

And unfortunately, this is a full regular passeneger cruise so I may not have any access to any cabins until the New York media cruise I am scheduled to attend July 2 & 3rd.

but you can be sure I will be talking to a lot of people about their staterooms.
Old June 24th, 2010, 04:24 AM
Admiral

Paul..you can also recommend that when they do the modifications, to make sure there is a reading rack & plug in for an ipod located in the bathroom so guest can read and listen to music

it's human nature to blame everything on the person that is no longer there

have a smooth crossing
Old June 24th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Venice, if you want that stuff you need to book an AquaSpa cabin on Solstice.

Personally, I take the coffee maker over an Ipod player and aromatherapy anyday.

Really, I hope this bathroom issue does not ruin what was really a very good attempt to do something complely different with staterooms. I really like the curved walls and lighting options. I think the cabins are very cool.

And the truth is that there are some real advantages to the modular bathroom - no waiting for either the shower or toilet just becuase the other is in use. or the sink. They cam all be used separately at the same time - and that is a real time saver on a cruise ship.

If they had somehow not been located by the front door, or had solid doors, this might be a totally different discussion. It's the little things...
Old June 24th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

Sounds like the bathrooms are a European design. I have been to many hotels throughout Europe with this type design.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old June 24th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I love the bathroom design on the other NCL ships. Specifically, Dawn, Star, Jewel, Jade and Gem. They have a single bathroom with a closed WC. This allows people to "share" the bathroom and works very well, as long as the people are comfortable with each other. (i.e. husband, wife) This new design forces people to "get comfortable" with each other.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old June 24th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Admiral

On the Gem with the seperate toilet, Bruce felt claustraphobic..while I didn't, I could understand why he did...At the very least, change the frosted glass to opaque.

I received some tourist info from Miaimi the other day, and inside there was an Epic video,which we watched last night, and also a deck plan flyer....good way to get the message out, I thought...the video was too short, and of course, just renderings, but I will see for myself in October.

I wonder if there will be any repeaters activities as this shiip get older...I think, if they don't fix this, people will book elsewhere.

Hopefully NCL didn't do what the Seabourn did, and put this frosted glass in the public bathrooms...if there was one woman on the design team, she must have been on meds, to give the design a thumbs up!

Last edited by Trip; June 24th, 2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Hopefully NCL didn't do what the Seabourn did, and put this frosted glass in the pulic bathrooms...if there ws one woman on the design team, she must have been on meds, to give the design a thumbs up!
I read someplace yesterday that, indeed, they have done so. I think it was in the same place as the photo of the guy sitting on the toilet with the door closed.
Old June 28th, 2010, 08:27 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I love the bathroom design on the other NCL ships. Specifically, Dawn, Star, Jewel, Jade and Gem. They have a single bathroom with a closed WC. This allows people to "share" the bathroom and works very well, as long as the people are comfortable with each other. (i.e. husband, wife) This new design forces people to "get comfortable" with each other.

Take care,
Mike
I had similar bathrooms in my cabins on the Pearl & Spirit. BUT-----the bathroom was enclosed with walls & a solid outside door. I don't think that I would feel comfortable with the Epic's bathroom concept. It wouldn't bother me so much if I share a cabin with my husband. However, if cruising with girlfriends, which I do on occassion, I would not choose this layout.

Barb
Old June 28th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I thought I did make note in my sticky "Live from Epic"

These bathrooms are the most talked about topic onboard - now that severak other issues have been fixed.

The floor to ceiling frosted glass is semi-transparent, but not enough to see specific details. most of all, people are complaining that the toilets are not soundproof at all. It is like having the toilet in your room. No modesty at all.

One lady said to me "I would tell my husband to turn up the TV, but our TV isn't working. Now, I am sure the TVs are all working, this shakedown cruise has had a LOT of things fixed while I am onboard, but you can't chnage the toilet doors.

The glass is more frosted than you might think, and if you are a couple here will be no surprises, but it is a bit much if you are traveling with a family member. i don't want to know what kind of sound Uncle Bill makes when he's on the toilet....

The sink is a very bad problem as well. It is tiny and in a spot where you are in the traffic lane if you are using it. The faucet is right over the tiny bowl so you cannot get your face in there.
Old June 28th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Norwegian Epic Bathroom Controversy

See my bathroom update here!
Old June 29th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Admiral

Paul, I read your views on the Epic bathroom issues, and I must say that you did a great job. You certainly have a way with words.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old June 29th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The more I read about this the more irritated I am. As Paul said the bathroom area is not sound or air sealed from the rest of the cabin. This is ridiculous.

Fine if you are traveling with your spouse or significant other but traveling with family, friends or children will make this extremely uncomfortable.

Also the increased noise from the shower and bathroom will surely wake up your cabin mate. I always wake up before my wife and I usually shower and shave and then head up on deck. Even in an inside cabin I was able to accomplish this without waking her. It will be impossible with this configuration.

NCL you really had your head up your aft when you designed this.

Take care,

Old June 29th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Admiral

I wished I was multi lingual..then I could say "I hate this" in many more languages! In English I will repeat it...I HATE THIS!

Old July 3rd, 2010, 03:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
By the way - you might as well get used to hearing it, "It was Colin's fault."
How true. I saw some tweets today where Sheehan blamed "his predecessor" for the cabin sink design and said they were going to be "tweaked". I think he was also blaming Vetch when he said NCL had a reputation for nickel and diming on dining options and he wanted to change that with Epic.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 05:03 PM
Admiral

I don't care who I am travelling with, once they have gone in the bathroom what they do in there is their business ...I DON'T WANT TO KNOW!!... I don't want to hear it , see it or most definitely not smell it!! I have never seen anything like this anywhere...except a hotel on Mayreau in the Grenadines where the bathroom was ''open plan'' not for us thanks!
Old July 6th, 2010, 06:46 PM
First Mate

My husband & I just stayed in a hotel room where the sink was outside the john. But the toilet & bathtub were behind solid walls & doors. This is as it should be in all ships' cabins.

No need for potty peek a boo.

Barb
Old July 6th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Stands to reason that the washbasin must be in with the actual toilet/WC/ john/Lav/whatever because you wash your hands hopefully before touching anything else.
Old July 6th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Video Experiment

This is a non-scientific analysis of sound pressure levels in acoustic decibels (dB not dBm), non-frequency specific, using a standard digital camera-mounted electret microphone in a suffiently non-ambient environment.

Our goal is to test the transmission coefficient of lavatory-related human created sound pressure emissions at sea level in a replication of the natural environment as would be experienced by the average couple in a balcony stateroom on Norwegian Epic.
Old July 6th, 2010, 08:25 PM
First Mate

you haven't stayed at a Hyatt yet (Pier 66), Crowne Plaza (i.e. NY) or Marriot (i.e. Orlando) yet. Just to name a couple.

It is the way to go for bathrooms to be split nowadays.

Let me ask you a question: do you do your business with two hands?
Old July 8th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

My business? Mostly I use my index fingers and my right hand thumb - except when I have to reach up to the F1 key - then I sometimes use my left index finger.

NO, I see your point. Gene sloan's thing about "you have to open the handle before you can wash your hands....

I personally do not have a big issue with the bathrooms. But once again, I cannot speak for others.

And no, I have not stayed in a hotel where the shower and toilet are not behind the same door - even if they are in separate rooms. But if you say so I believe you!
Old July 17th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Beginner

Default Norwegian Epic - Single Men, Preadolescents and Old Geezers only, please

I feel compelled to point out that the bathroom setup as designed is suitable only for old geezers (who if lucky have lost all their modesty), pre-adolescents, or single men (or perhaps men in relationships with other men)

*edited for subject matter*

Last edited by Trip; July 17th, 2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old July 17th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

NCL...

While your post is somewhat "graphic" it makes a very important point - especially since the wastebasket is by the sink, outside the toilet area. NCL does not want you flushing those things down the toilets (in fact, they can clog the whole system) so it will be up to the parents to make sure young ladies follow the rules.

That is a good point.

Now - families CAN book inside cabins for teens (shared cabin), and they have much more private toilet areas - fully enclosed. That would be what I recommend.

The balcony cabins get very crowded with three or four in a cabin anyway.
Old July 18th, 2010, 07:26 AM
david30101

Im definatly not a "large" person, other then being tall. On most cruises I like to use the Gym showers, etc since they are allot bigger and since im up there anyhow its convenient for me. I will book a cruise on the epic in the studio cabins. Since im "alone" it wont matter to me anyhow. I can see the problem having more in the same cabin.
Old July 18th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Passenger

Suggestion: Handle your business with one hand and open the door with the other! Also you can ask your companion to go sit on the balcony while you handle your "big business" for the day! LL(Lots of Light,Love and Laughter) Mimi cruising on the Epic with husband Mike on the 24th!