Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Admiral

Default Convince Me....to book NCL

My husband and I have cruised many times, and have tried most cruise lines, with the exception of NCL.
We are presently researching a special one to celebrate our 10th anniversary, and weighing the pros and cons of NCL vs other lines.
If NCL is your favourite line, convince me why we should give them a try....

donna
Old July 26th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Admiral

Default Booking ncl

In all honesty.. for an anniversary, depending on which ship... I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IT..We cruised the Gem last y ear and it always felt crowded.. the only romantic place and to die for was Le Bistro.. Cagneys was wonderful.. Donna... read my review on the Gem t/a last year... Yet, there are many of my friends who love the "freestyle" dining.. the price is less $$ than other lines.. but I felt I was nickled and dimed at inappropriate times.. On the other hand.. we will book NCL to go to Bermuda directly from Boston next year.. '
our home p ort..Donna..our anniversary if I work it right .. will be spent in front of the Trevi Fountain at night in Rome.. and a romantic dinner in Muranos on the Equinox..On the Gem I felt the crush of people most of the time..the atrium was always mobbed and the MDR food was mediocre with service the same..... So,... for a romantic tenth year...NCL isn't it...not from my experience. Happy tenth
Old July 27th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

RD, what are your concerns, we can address them better this way...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 27th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Admiral

RD, I see you're asking about most of the major lines. While we enjoyed our NCL cruise's, I wouldn't book one for a special occasion. "Freestyle" is not for everyone. Personally, I'd recommend Princess .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 27th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Beginner

Default try another cruise line

we cruised the beginning of may on the dawn to bermuda and found the food and service poor to mediocer at best. ncl eliminated champaign toast, no candy at night, lobster night a joke and many other little thing that make a cruise memorable event. getting on and off the ship terriable. also some people who make evaluations on this board are always positive about cruise line because they have to be, they get free passage often. strongly recommend another line. your shipmeout
Old July 27th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Admiral

Unhappy Bummer

We had expected to leave on the Dawn from Boston to Bermuda next June...and I'm greatly disappointed to read what you've written... Yes, from our last experience on the Gem... I found the MDR food mediocre and ended up in Cagneys and Le Bistro.. Guess if we do book I'll just have to be forwarned Did you try the cafe that has those fabulous chicken wings?
Old July 27th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Admiral

Whether you should or should not cruise NCL depends on your expectations and life style plus what ship and itinerary.

We have cruised every mass marketed line, for us NCL works the best, but that isn't for everyone. Why do we like NCL? We love freestyle, we love the dining choices, we love not having to dress up and we like the relaxed crew.

What is missing? If you cruise to be pampered, choose another line. If you want the food to be above your wildest imagination try an upscale line, in large cabins are an issue there are other lines with larger cabins (not many I will add) NCL is not a luxury line and the prices show that.

We have always found the service to be good, sometimes outstanding and the entertainment above par. Our last NCL cruise was just about 3 months ago, I never heard one person complain about anything except the weather and the service in Blue Lagoon.

Nita
Old July 27th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Admiral

and I find it hard to believe anyone would be so upset about missing a 2 oz glass of cheap chamgange or a penny candy at night.

There are things about NCL that might make some think twice. If remance is what one wants, there are other lines that might be better. Foodwise, all mass marketed lines have cut back, but things like that glass of bubbly? Give me a break.. how many lines (mass marketed) give that glass of chanpagne? I can tell you, one.

As for that comment about free passage, why would you make such a statement, and what are you basing it on? I don't know too many that post on this or other boards that get free anything. What ship were you on, may I ask?
Nita
Old August 1st, 2010, 04:25 PM
Familiar Face

We hated Norwegian Cruise Lines. The staterooms are very small, no soap or shampoo except in pump containers on the wall (like a public restroom). In fact everyething on board gave you the feeling of CHEAP, CHEAP CHEAP!
The only good thing was the shows in the main theater and the food wasn't bad.
Stick with HAL or Princess and you will be much better.
Old August 1st, 2010, 04:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Donna,

I believe NCL would be an excellent choice for your anniversary.

For our 25th Anniversary we booked a Cat AC suite for a Med cruise. This was wonderful and the extra attention by the butler plus the other suite perks, including breakfast and lunch at Cagney's, made it even better.

Budget an additional $100 - $200 and enjoy the alternative restaurants and you will have a dining experience equal to any other line.

NCL uses Elemis products in all of their staterooms. They have done this for almost two years. The introduced them with Freestyle 2.0.

I suggest not booking an inside cabin on an older NCL ship. i.e. Norwegian Sky. Otherwise on the other ships they fine. As large or larger than Royal Caribbean's.

I will take NCL over any other line.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 1st, 2010, 06:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I had a mini suite on the Gem. It was the most well thought out and comfy cabin..Tons of storage,and I loved it! We had the Elemis products, but bring your own in travel sizes, if this type of thing is important to you.

Options such as NCL offers, can be overwhelming, or adventuresome, depending on your personality.

I am really looking forward to cruising on the Epic... looking for a special anniversary cruise, is important, keep your options open...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 1st, 2010, 06:29 PM
Admiral

Default Anniversary Cruise

Hi Trip.. we were on the Gem in a mini-suite and I too loved the storage space and the bathroom..lol.. but except for Le Bistro I didn't feel the atmosphere of romance..every spot seemed crowded..no place to sit and just read..of course the crossing was rough and even our balcony was not a great spot.. We will celebrate our 55th this next cruise..on the exact date I hope to spend it in front of the lighted Trevi Fountain.. and then a romantic dinner in Muranos.. Champagne and free chocolates don't mean much to me..
Old August 7th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tom View Post
We hated Norwegian Cruise Lines. The staterooms are very small, no soap or shampoo except in pump containers on the wall (like a public restroom). In fact everyething on board gave you the feeling of CHEAP, CHEAP CHEAP!
The only good thing was the shows in the main theater and the food wasn't bad.
Stick with HAL or Princess and you will be much better.
Tom Tom, whether you hated or loved NCL I do have to question you about 1 comment: small cabins: what ship were you on? Yes, the cabins are small but no smaller than RCI or Princess for the same class. Of course some ships on every line will be smaller than other ships. We have always found NCL cabins to be laid out better than Princess and usually about 5 feet larger, certainly not enough to make a difference either way. I will also add, on our last Princess cruise I think we had nothing but dispensers for our soap in the shower. HAL is better if these things are important to you, I totally agree. Most of the time you will pay more for HAL as well. (not always)

Nita
Old August 10th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Welcome Newcomer

For the last 8 years I have only cruised NCL so I may not be the one to reply... but I will. My mother and I cruise once every year or two for time together. While we enjoy meeting others and interracting, we like not having to if we are not in the mood. This may be where your trip would fall. Not sure you want to have a romantic evening with a table full of folks:-) We chose NCL initially for the dining options. We like being able to go to different restaurants and sit and enjoy a meal together. I have been on cruises where you are forced to sit with the same group each and every night. If you get along and have alot in common that is great, but if not... I think NCL offers alot of options depending on what you like at that moment. I think you will enjoy fully.