CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Norwegian Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/)
-   -   travel irons (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/378138-travel-irons.html)

ptic November 16th, 2010 07:01 AM

travel irons

Hello,1st time cruise on the Epic coming up on 11/20 ....Are travel irons ok to bring on board? I read on the the board that the rooms dont not have irons. Is that due to space or fire hazzard?If its space i could understand , as for fire hazzard i also can understand that , but more fires are caused by lighters and matches and i see that there smoking area's on board the ship. Any help whould be helpful............ thank you

Wando November 16th, 2010 07:15 AM

Iron aren't allowed to be brought on board. However, I have heard from other posters that you can ask your cabin steward for an iron and ironing board and one will be brought to you that you can use for a couple of hours.

2katz3fsh November 17th, 2010 02:14 PM

If you do pack it, they may go through your luggage before it's placed on the ship and remove it, so better to be safe than sorry. Another curious thing about luggage--they opened ours before we cruised because hubby had shoe trees in his shoes and I can only imagine what they thought they were looking at when they scanned the luggage. In so doing, they also broke off the locks! It's a new time and age we're living in, so it's better to be safe than sorry. This also taught me a lesson: pack additional locks just in case...

jacdenv24 November 17th, 2010 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptic (Post 1329062)
Hello,1st time cruise on the Epic coming up on 11/20 ....Are travel irons ok to bring on board? I read on the the board that the rooms dont not have irons. Is that due to space or fire hazzard?If its space i could understand , as for fire hazzard i also can understand that , but more fires are caused by lighters and matches and i see that there smoking area's on board the ship. Any help whould be helpful............ thank you

In a word (or 3) NO, NO and NO. When we disembarked last year, there was a huge table set up in the luggage claim area covered with all the items that had been confiscated at embarkation. 90% were irons.

ptic November 17th, 2010 03:25 PM

Thank you all...i guess its back to the store and return the iron :)

Skipper's Mom November 17th, 2010 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2katz3fsh (Post 1329328)
If you do pack it, they may go through your luggage before it's placed on the ship and remove it, so better to be safe than sorry. Another curious thing about luggage--they opened ours before we cruised because hubby had shoe trees in his shoes and I can only imagine what they thought they were looking at when they scanned the luggage. In so doing, they also broke off the locks! It's a new time and age we're living in, so it's better to be safe than sorry. This also taught me a lesson: pack additional locks just in case...

We purchased TSA approved locks. That way they can open your bags but the locks are not broken. You can tell if they've opened the bags by the color on your lock.

The other suggestion is to use plastic wire ties to secure your bags. If they are cut, you know they've been opened.

Magnolia Blossom December 5th, 2010 02:05 PM

Your iron will be seized and you'll waste valuable cruise time having to go retrieve it either the last night or disembarkation morning. Steamers are allowed though but there is n need to bring either. Just call housekeeping and they will send you an iron and ironing board for use for a few hours.
No hassels, no worries.

Queen of Oakville December 13th, 2010 12:56 PM

I don't understand why they are confiscated, but oh well.

I have a great little steamer made by SIlton. i bought it at walmart for about $20. Works like a dream, and doesn't take a lot of room in the suit case.

After all the discussion of bed bugs on other cruise lines (and other boards), when we took our last cruise, I also used the steamer for a quick pass of the bed lineens and pillows. I'm not sure what the steam temp is on my steamer but it does get pretty hot, I figured it couldn't hurt.

Trip December 13th, 2010 02:40 PM

I brought my little iron/streamer on the Epic in Nov,and had no issues..to my mind, a flat iron is the same type of appliance,and that is not a banned item. After usage, unplug, empty the iron, wet a face cloth, and, sit it on it, till it is cool. I am sure many models may have an automatic turn off as well.