Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 16th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Beginner

Default travel irons

Hello,1st time cruise on the Epic coming up on 11/20 ....Are travel irons ok to bring on board? I read on the the board that the rooms dont not have irons. Is that due to space or fire hazzard?If its space i could understand , as for fire hazzard i also can understand that , but more fires are caused by lighters and matches and i see that there smoking area's on board the ship. Any help whould be helpful............ thank you
Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Familiar Face

Iron aren't allowed to be brought on board. However, I have heard from other posters that you can ask your cabin steward for an iron and ironing board and one will be brought to you that you can use for a couple of hours.
Old November 17th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you do pack it, they may go through your luggage before it's placed on the ship and remove it, so better to be safe than sorry. Another curious thing about luggage--they opened ours before we cruised because hubby had shoe trees in his shoes and I can only imagine what they thought they were looking at when they scanned the luggage. In so doing, they also broke off the locks! It's a new time and age we're living in, so it's better to be safe than sorry. This also taught me a lesson: pack additional locks just in case...
Old November 17th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Captain

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptic View Post
Hello,1st time cruise on the Epic coming up on 11/20 ....Are travel irons ok to bring on board? I read on the the board that the rooms dont not have irons. Is that due to space or fire hazzard?If its space i could understand , as for fire hazzard i also can understand that , but more fires are caused by lighters and matches and i see that there smoking area's on board the ship. Any help whould be helpful............ thank you

In a word (or 3) NO, NO and NO. When we disembarked last year, there was a huge table set up in the luggage claim area covered with all the items that had been confiscated at embarkation. 90% were irons.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old November 17th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Beginner

Thank you all...i guess its back to the store and return the iron
Old November 17th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2katz3fsh View Post
If you do pack it, they may go through your luggage before it's placed on the ship and remove it, so better to be safe than sorry. Another curious thing about luggage--they opened ours before we cruised because hubby had shoe trees in his shoes and I can only imagine what they thought they were looking at when they scanned the luggage. In so doing, they also broke off the locks! It's a new time and age we're living in, so it's better to be safe than sorry. This also taught me a lesson: pack additional locks just in case...
We purchased TSA approved locks. That way they can open your bags but the locks are not broken. You can tell if they've opened the bags by the color on your lock.

The other suggestion is to use plastic wire ties to secure your bags. If they are cut, you know they've been opened.

Last edited by Skipper's Mom; November 17th, 2010 at 08:01 PM. Reason: additional info
Old December 5th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Captain

Your iron will be seized and you'll waste valuable cruise time having to go retrieve it either the last night or disembarkation morning. Steamers are allowed though but there is n need to bring either. Just call housekeeping and they will send you an iron and ironing board for use for a few hours.
No hassels, no worries.
Old December 13th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Admiral

I don't understand why they are confiscated, but oh well.

I have a great little steamer made by SIlton. i bought it at walmart for about $20. Works like a dream, and doesn't take a lot of room in the suit case.

After all the discussion of bed bugs on other cruise lines (and other boards), when we took our last cruise, I also used the steamer for a quick pass of the bed lineens and pillows. I'm not sure what the steam temp is on my steamer but it does get pretty hot, I figured it couldn't hurt.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old December 13th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I brought my little iron/streamer on the Epic in Nov,and had no issues..to my mind, a flat iron is the same type of appliance,and that is not a banned item. After usage, unplug, empty the iron, wet a face cloth, and, sit it on it, till it is cool. I am sure many models may have an automatic turn off as well.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator