Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 16th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Familiar Face

Default Norwegian vs. Carnival

Hi All,

I am a 4 time Carnival cruiser. I am considering a Norwegian cruise on the Spirit out of New Orleans. Could you please tell my why I may enjoy Norwegian over Carnival? Is there many differences? Is the food all included? Is the food any better? We are 38 and 35, if age matters. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Thanks,
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Having cruised both lines (NCL 3x and Carnival 5x) I think you'll enjoy NCL. It's a different experienc from Carnival - and all the food CAN be included if you want it to be - you don't have to pay extra for the specialty restaurants if you don't want to. But if you want a more specialized dining experience you may decide it's worth it to pay the cover charge and try a couple of the restaurants.

We found that things quiet down a little bit earlier on NCL - which didn't really bother us as we aren't big nighttime party people anyway. There are still plenty of activities offered - many of them similar to what is offered on Carnival. What we miss - the warm chocolate melting cake - the stateroom size -- NCL is considerably smaller, but very well organized.

What we liked - the option to eat when and where we wanted to without having to be on a schedule - we never waited more than 5-10 minutes for a table. We loved the service - the crew was fabulous - and the ship's decor was fantastic. The pools and hot tubs don't seem as crowded on NCL, either. I don't know if it's laid out better or if they're really larger. Also, it seemed that the dining options at breakfast was a little better than on Carnival - but the quality of food at dinner and lunch is comparable across both lines (although if I remember right, the dining room is open on NCL at lunch most days).
Old December 20th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Admiral

I think this is a great overall view of NCL. The one advantage Carnival has: larger cabins, especially compared to the Spirit, but the Spirit is a wonderful ship. We are taking her, for the second time, in Feb.

Nita
Old December 21st, 2010, 06:05 PM
Familiar Face

My girlfriend and I have never cruised Carnival, but we look forward to it one day. Our personal feeling... Norwegian cruises are a last resort.
We have cruised with them 3 times, mostly because of their prices and ease of location, but there is absolutely no WOW factors to a Norwegian Cruise.
The meals are ok, staterooms adequate, staff are great. Shows, ok; Freestyle is nice. We always say, there is nothing wrong with a Norwegian Cruise, but there is no WOW factor.
Our last cruise in October on NCL was nice, but when the weather turned cloudy and cool and everyone was stuck inside the ship; the cruise director staff seemed ill prepared, very few things scheduled, and you felt on your own to entertain yourself.

This is just two girls opinion; personally, we are looking into Carnival for our next cruise, hopefully we can make it work.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 04:41 PM
Welcome Newcomer

my wife and i are going on a cruise in feb. butwe havent decided ncl or carnival this is our first cruise also any suggestions
Old December 22nd, 2010, 07:33 PM
Admiral

One big difference in Carnival and NCL is the dining. If you eat in the main dining room you will be asked if you want to sit with anyone else and there is a very good chanced that you will end up by yourselves. Also NCL has many more place to eat but you have to make a reservation for all but the main dining room and buffet and more than one will have extra charge.

We really like meetingand eating with others while on a cruise so NCL definetly was not for us, even when we did the Your Time Dining on Carnival when we said we would sit with others we did sit with other but not so on NCL.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old December 23rd, 2010, 01:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Service is Important too.

Ncl Vs Carnival. If you get poor service with Carnival you can adjust you tipping. On Ncl sorry it is tattooed to you shipboard credit at $12.00 per day and you cannot take it off for any reason. Also Ncls taxes and fees are the highest of all the cruiselines. For example the Ncl Sky last month for 4 nights
inside cabin $99.00 and taxes and fees were 125.55. I went on Carnival instead of Ncl because of the higher taxes and fees but I like cruising Ncl better. I hear great things about the Spirt and the Epic. Have a great cruise
no matter what you decide. Ed
Old December 23rd, 2010, 02:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruised1014 View Post
Ncl Vs Carnival. If you get poor service with Carnival you can adjust you tipping. On Ncl sorry it is tattooed to you shipboard credit at $12.00 per day and you cannot take it off for any reason. Also Ncls taxes and fees are the highest of all the cruiselines. For example the Ncl Sky last month for 4 nights
inside cabin $99.00 and taxes and fees were 125.55. I went on Carnival instead of Ncl because of the higher taxes and fees but I like cruising Ncl better. I hear great things about the Spirt and the Epic. Have a great cruise
no matter what you decide. Ed
wow, I just love people posting mis-information. 1-taxes and fees are not controlled in anyway by the cruise line. They make not a cent on them. They are set by the goverrnment. One port different, even enbarkation port can make a difference. I know many people think it is true about the fees but it is just plainly not the case. I have seen itineraries that appear to be identical but one leaves out of NYC and the other NJ. the fees are different.

As for the tipping, again, you can adjust them on NCL. Yes, you will be asked if you have made every attempt to solve any problems without adjusting, but if you want to adjust them you can. It is done all the time. Is this fair, no, because it affects all that are part of the pool, but it can be done. The only cruise line that does not allow adjusting is Celebrity if you choose flex dining. You have to pay the gratuities up front and can not make any adjustments.

Nita
Old December 24th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Your wrong. Period. Book one and find out.
Old December 25th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Captain

"Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges."

Right off of the "NCL" website but if it's important Ed, you can be right.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 08:25 PM
Familiar Face

Well if you guys are single and looking to mingle stay with carnival, cause ncl has an older crowd, or if you really like to party hard core stay with carnival. Plenty of restaurants, buffet, snack shops that are included in your cruise fare, I never eat at any specialty restaurants, my opinion is I just paid for an all inclusive why would I pay more? good luck have fun
Old January 3rd, 2011, 03:24 PM
Admiral

I have seen it done on two occassions, so I know it can be done. I have also talked to and read about people who have done this. On the other hand, I would never consider adjusting the tips.

Nita
Old January 21st, 2011, 12:14 PM
Familiar Face

I've been on many Norwegian cruises as well as many Carnvinal cruises (my next Carnival will be my tenth) and I wouldn't keep booking with Norwegian if I didn't have just as great a time as I do on Carnival. Coincidentally, have the Spirit booked for this March (spring break week) out of New Orleans, but if you're looking for a bit more action, I say book Carnival.

They're known as the 'fun ship' for a reason. Just a bit more action going on than compared to other lines. Not to say you wouldn't have a great time with NCL or other lines, however.

Beth

Last edited by A&B; January 21st, 2011 at 12:16 PM. Reason: add to post
Old February 11th, 2011, 03:41 AM
Familiar Face

On our first (and last) Carnival cruise, we were booked at 8:15 pm for dinner.
Ugh!
Old February 11th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
On our first (and last) Carnival cruise, we were booked at 8:15 pm for dinner.
Ugh!
Why didn't you book main seating...? Even if there was a mistake and you didn't note it until you got onboard, you could always go talk to the maitre'd and ask to be switched to main. I have had to do this before and was switched to main no problem.

Beth
Enchanted Seas
Enchanted Isle x4

Seawind
Seawind Crown
Celebrity
Horizon
Carnival
Celebration x5
Festivale
Fascination
Inspiration