Ok I watched this show and thought it was stupid and it pissed me off.
I am an American and, I have worked on Princess cruises for 8 years and Carnival for 2 years and Norwegian for 1 year. I'm now off ships and this show was all wrong.
1) the cabin thing: That was not a crew cabin most crew cabins are bunk beds and are very small and the bathrooms do not look like that. There are some crew that have there own rooms like singers, top Officers, cruise director, and art directors, but they are still not that nice. this was a passenger cabin. Yes there are passenger cabins used sometimes, from fly on and fly off guest Entertainers, or special lecturers, but that is in there contract.
2) The reason the Hawaiian ship has all American crew is because of the Jones Act it is an old trade act which stats that ships can not do all American ports, that's why most ships go to ensenada, Vancouver, or fanny Island. The way they get around that is they hire all American Crew for the 2 ships that do just the Hawaiian Islands. Which is why they have a big turn over rate, because they are trying to get the American crew to do the same work for the same money they pay the non American crew.
3) The Deck hands do alot of work more then that, and yes Hawaii is great but they do most of there work when the ship is in port so they don't get to see most of it.
4) Most contracts are 10 or 11 months on ships. Unless you are crew staff which is 6 months or senior officers which can be 4 months. Or guest entertainers or lectures.
5) Sports staff which are crew staff usually. yes this girl made me a little happy. Most of the Activity's are like that and there is alot of the complaining from passengers. Most passengers don't really care about the fun of the game they just want to be entertained, or they want the stupid prizes. There alot of Activity's that are on the ships that don't work. The land office comes up with Activity's they have seen other places and just expects the staff to handle all the work on board. On princess we had ceramics at sea. Yes it sounds nice but the cruise staff with all the other stuff they do are made to run this. On land the have lifts to move the big boxes around the store. On the ship the staff have to move all the boxes from lower decks to the upper decks and the kilns never fired right on a moving ship and all that work a passenger spent making a plate would break in the kiln. The Corporate Office dosen't follow threw whith how it affects the staff on the ship and if you say something they say well it works on all the other ships in the fleet. But the staff has worked on the other ships and is friends with other staff on other ships, and they no that is a lie. They just want a yes sire attitude untill someone gets hurt and they get sued.
6) Crew staff Which is what I did, before that I was a dancer. yes he had to learn a dance but there is several dances that you have to learn and teach passengers. He only did the Party, what about the other part of the day when you do all the activities through out the day starting at 8, then have to decorate for the party and take it down after till Midnight or later. If they are going to put him through the job then he needs to see all aspects of the job.
7) The server thing was a joke and he only did dinner. though server work there buts off, That is why you will never find an American in the Dinning room. Most Americans couldn't do the Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner 7 days a week. The servers get lunch off some days but they work alot. and have a room in the bottom of the ship and are not allowed up on decks unless they are working.
The whole show just really upset me being an ex crew member they didn't show anything, it was more of a comercial about the ship.