Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:46 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default NCL Undercover Boss - what did you think?

I watched Undercover Boss with Kevin Sheehan.

Now, I had never seen the show before, so I don't know the formula, but I thought it was a little light on substance.

I mean, really, every cruise line CEO knows waitering is a hard job. Of course he had a hard time doing it because it was his first time, he doesn't have the menu and the layout of the kitchen memorized like the regular waiters do.

Secondly - three out of four staffmembers they showed were American - and in reality on most cruise ships you are going to have 95% of crewmembers being foreign workers.

Lastly - all of us regular cruisers know what a waiter, cruise staff and deck hand does. I just find it hard to believe this show was about giving Sheehan a "teachable moment" - except where the NCL ice rink is concerned. Does he really not know how hard deck hands and waiters work? Did he not know that being on the cruise staff involves "people skills?" I doubt it.

My wife says I am being cynical, but it seemed to me that all the show did was have Sheehan interface with a few employees and end up doing special favors for THEM, but what I really want to know is "what significant changes will Sheehan decide to impliment fleetwide as a result of this show?" We know NCL-style ice-skating is gone - what else?

He heard the crew say how hard it is to be away from their family for so many months, and that they have a system to train and promote crewmembers within the system, but is he really going to make employee contracts shorter? and is the internal "train & promote" system Sheehan says they have at the company going to become more universal and available TO ALL EMPLOYEES now that Sheehan has seen the light?

Call me cynical, but this is a company about to have an IPO. All that should logically matter to them at this moment is raising quarterly profits. This is not the time for NCL the company to be thinking about long-term employee benefits - as the show implied.

After the IPO, when the new ships are out, the economy improves and NCL is on more solid footing - THEN they can give their employees a little more slack, but somehow I just doubt that is their top priority right now.
Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2011, 12:03 PM
Admiral

I was underwhelmed by the show. NCL got the publicity they had hoped for, even having a 24 hour sale on Facebook in relation to the Undercover Boss show.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 12:14 PM
Captain

I've watched the show a few times and have never been impressed. I watched last night simply because it was about cruising and I was interested in having a look at NCL ships as I've never sailed one. The Epic looked impressive from an onboard point of view but IMHO it is one ugly ship from a distance! Anyhow, I have to agree with Paul-the whole show was surreal. Are we really supposed to believe that those employees actually thought Sheehan was a prospective employee? I don't think so! He might be a very nice man but not at all convincing as a deckhand. The whole show appeared to be an infomercial to promote the IPO.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old January 3rd, 2011, 12:31 PM
Familiar Face

You all must not have watched the show previously...
All of them are pretty much the same....the CEO goes undercover and tries to do the jobs that the people lower on the ladder perform daily without much luck..
I actually didn't mind the show, and am booked on the Epic in less than two weeks.....looking forward to meeting Michael and Silvia....
Old January 3rd, 2011, 12:32 PM
Admiral

I guess I missed something, I thought it was on the Pride, that's why so many Americans. I didn't realize part of the show was on Epic. The crew was told it was a contest between 2 men vieing for a position and it was to be filmed. I'm sure the crew must have surmised something weird as he was so unqualified to be hired.
Even though the show was not heavy duty, I wonder how much he really appreciated the real work force. I wonder if he saw the laundry area, the food prep area, engine area?
Old January 3rd, 2011, 01:22 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Three of the jobs were on Epic, one on Pride. Still, Kevin met three Americans and only one foreign worker.

I had never seen it, but it felt more like Oprah to me. If I want to see people in power bestowing favors on little people she gives more bang for my viewing buck.

Just one thing - Interviewed Kevin before the show and he told me he slept in crew quarters and ate crew food. They sure didn't show any of THAT.

It was fluff - Merry Christmas. I thought Kevin did a fine job, but the show concept was a real disappointment.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 02:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

With cruise ship crew if they know they are on camera they are "on" and will never be truly candid. Cruise ship staff are like Disney workers, they are "actors" as much as anything.

To really do this show you need to be truly undercover "hidden cameras and mics"

THAT would be a good show.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Wasn't that one of the solo cabins on the Epic that he stayed in?

Also - he was disappointed with the the climbing waiver process. Surely he knew that Royal Caribbean has had an on-line waiver process for over a year. NCL copied RCI with the online booking process for shows and dining, why not the waivers too?
Old January 3rd, 2011, 02:50 PM
Admiral

To me it appeared rehearsed ,except for the waitress who wanted to become a Supervisor .It was as though she was blackmailing him .
Old January 3rd, 2011, 03:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
Wasn't that one of the solo cabins on the Epic that he stayed in?

Also - he was disappointed with the the climbing waiver process. Surely he knew that Royal Caribbean has had an on-line waiver process for over a year. NCL copied RCI with the online booking process for shows and dining, why not the waivers too?
NO, it wasn't a single studio, but it was an inside cabin. In our interview he told me he stayed in a crew cabin "like the ones on Epic" - Epic has many crew cabins on the upper decks, but I do not know what they look like, but on the show he said "I stayed in cabins similar to what our crew stays in"

It is always a policy NOT to show crew quarters to the public, although they did give me a tour of the Epic crew quarters (but said 'no pictures'). It really is one of the nicer ships for crewmembers anywhere.

Also - on the waiver thing - I TOTALLY AGREE - a complete setup. I am SURE NCL already planned to change this. Every cruise line copies each other.

I have a new newsletter about this show coming out tomorrow where I said the same thing, so you read my mind, David.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 03:24 PM
Familiar Face

Undercover Boss is just a big commercial.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 03:34 PM
Admiral

Hi Paul,

I didn't get to watch it cause I had another program I choose, it was a hard decision. I think most of the reality shows are a little phoney and a little silly. I do hope they repeat, I would love to see how the problems were handled.

Nita
Old January 3rd, 2011, 03:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Watch Undercover Boss on CBS.com. Full Episodes, Clips and Behind the Scenes footage.

Yuo can still watch the full episode at the link above.

Basically, it was a big infomercial - a chance for the CEO of a company to show a little kindness to his staff.

I am sorry to see they ruined such a great concept.

I know Bob Dickinson did the same kind if show for a Brit series 10 years ago - here is a bit about it:

http://www.pbs.org/opb/backtothefloo...ival/index.htm
Old January 3rd, 2011, 03:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

As David said in an earlier post, I was completely underwhelmed. The show, Undercover Boss, is really nothing more than a PR vehicle for companies and I bet they have a long waiting list of companies that want to be part of the show.

I have watched four or five episodes and the formula is getting old. This episode was probably one of the weakest. It was nothing like the old PBS series, "Back to the Floor" when Bob Dickinson performed crew jobs.

I did have an issue with the fact that the majority of people that Sheehan worked with were American's and that he did not stay in the crew quarters.

The interesting thing was when the woman who worked with him on the ice rink said: "People aren't coming back to Epic." It was a quick blurb but they left it in.

With the amount of message board, Facebook and Twitter activity on this subject I can tell NCL is happy that they got this sixty minute commercial and they're going to milk it dry.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 3rd, 2011, 04:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Mike...

I agree. NCL tends to have a lot of first-time cruisers and not as much of a loyalty following.

So when they get a show like this and the CNBC one they did for Peter Greenberg they are very happy and lucky. It differentiates them.

Did anyone else hear Sheehan say something like "and it is disappointing that people don't appreciate things like our Ice Skating, rock wall rapelling and other things WE INNOVATED?"

Also - I wonder who they are blaming for the "ice skating" idea - Colin Veitch?

It is probably like Obama still blaming Bush, they will do it for as long as they can
Old January 3rd, 2011, 05:04 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Three of the jobs were on Epic, one on Pride. Still, Kevin met three Americans and only one foreign worker.

I had never seen it, but it felt more like Oprah to me. If I want to see people in power bestowing favors on little people she gives more bang for my viewing buck.

Just one thing - Interviewed Kevin before the show and he told me he slept in crew quarters and ate crew food. They sure didn't show any of THAT.

It was fluff - Merry Christmas. I thought Kevin did a fine job, but the show concept was a real disappointment.
As far as the crew nationality is concerned, aren't the majority of entertainment/activities staff on most cruiselines either North American, Austrailian or British?

It would be interesting to see what was edited out of the show.

I found it interesting, probably because I hadn't seen the show before, so didn't know what to expect. It was also fun to see the scenes from the Epic as it brought back memories.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 05:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Yes the majority of people who interact with the passengers on an "entertainment" level - cruise staff, hostesses, bingo, musicians, etc are almost always native English speakers.

So, I thought it was overkill to have two people from cruise staff (Michael and Jessie) PLUS another American from Pride of America (John, the deck manager) and only one foreign national.

I would have liked to have seen Kevin work on the deck, in the kitchen and as a room steward, three jobs almost always done by foreign crewmembers. And for the one cruise staff job he could have gone to Pride and used an American.

But that would not have worked for the show's slant - they probably felt the audience wouldn't feel the same empathy when Kevin gave a free cruise to someone from Slovakia than to an American.

Plus, I am guessing NCL really wanted the deck department since that is where the two major changes happened. But if you want to talk about Epic's deck - how about the shortage of deck chairs, people saving deck chairs, the hot deck, the flooding problem, etc. I wanted to Kevin to find and fix things where I said to myself "wow, he was really clever to figure that out" not - "yeah, I could have told you without even seeing the show" type of stuff.

But I have to lay the blame on the producers of the show. NCL did not have the final say on what they would show.

I guess if you are catering to the average American, non-cruising audience this show seemed interesting, but to those of us who really know cruise ships it was too basic.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 07:04 PM
Admiral

It is revealing when you consider they flew all the way to Hawaii just to use the Pride Of America. Why? Because of the American factor. It would not be good TV if he had worked for a Deck Manager who was from Greece or Germany on a ship closer to Miami. Plus it promoted their always-struggling Hawaiian cruise operation.

Similarly, they wanted to promote the Epic and although Silvia was the sole non-American crew member I want to note that she does come from India, where English is a 2nd language to most and is taught in grade school. Yes indeed, he was not about to be paired up with Svetlana from Russia as she toiled in cleaning a dozen cabins. Or with the kitchen steward from Poland who had to prep half a ton of vegetables.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 08:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

That would have looked just a little exploitative, wouldn't it?

But check out the link to Bob Dickinson's stint on BBC (posted above) - he did the hard jobs, room steward, bartender, guest relations. And his people got to rate him without the idea of there being a payoff in the end.

I also thought the trip to Hawaii was odd. They never mentioned it was the only major us-crewed ship in the world, which makes you wonder "why?"

I am as patriotic as anyone, but I just wonder "why was this show so "American?"
Old January 4th, 2011, 01:42 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I have enjoyed the "Undercover Boss" series and was looking forward to see what they were going to do with NCL. Well...what a lame production. So the CEO went on the Pride of America...just how many days was he on there? They only showed 5 minutes of him working, hammering away...a little painting and squirting some water on the side of the ship!!! What did he do the rest of the voyage?

Same held true for his stint on the Epic. So lets think about this...the work day onboard is about 10-12 hours a day. It must have been at 7 day cruise...what in the world did he do the rest of the time? Plus for TSA requirements...how did he get on board either ship with a fake name and not leaving a credit card on file with his real name? You know NCL is not going to miss making a $ even from the crew. The logistics of him getting onboard without any knowing about his presence is very hard to believe and once aboard it would travelled through the ship faster than a norovirus. This was a complete hoax and Mr. Sheehan should be ashamed of himself for taking up 2 plus weeks of his valuable CEO time. Better yet he should have stayed on land because he did not do NCL any promotional or advertising favors. NCL had the best opportunity in the world to promote their cruise line but even the CEO failed to do so.

I wonder how long Mr. Sheehan will be CEO?

PS: I have sailed on NCL 4 times in the past couple of years it is my favorite cruise line.

Last edited by gfog50; January 4th, 2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old January 4th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Yes the majority of people who interact with the passengers on an "entertainment" level - cruise staff, hostesses, bingo, musicians, etc are almost always native English speakers.

So, I thought it was overkill to have two people from cruise staff (Michael and Jessie) PLUS another American from Pride of America (John, the deck manager) and only one foreign national.

I would have liked to have seen Kevin work on the deck, in the kitchen and as a room steward, three jobs almost always done by foreign crewmembers. And for the one cruise staff job he could have gone to Pride and used an American.

But that would not have worked for the show's slant - they probably felt the audience wouldn't feel the same empathy when Kevin gave a free cruise to someone from Slovakia than to an American.

Plus, I am guessing NCL really wanted the deck department since that is where the two major changes happened. But if you want to talk about Epic's deck - how about the shortage of deck chairs, people saving deck chairs, the hot deck, the flooding problem, etc. I wanted to Kevin to find and fix things where I said to myself "wow, he was really clever to figure that out" not - "yeah, I could have told you without even seeing the show" type of stuff.

But I have to lay the blame on the producers of the show. NCL did not have the final say on what they would show.

I guess if you are catering to the average American, non-cruising audience this show seemed interesting, but to those of us who really know cruise ships it was too basic.
I'm not disagreeing with your point, it would have been fun seeing him struggle as a room steward or bar tender/server, etc. I'm wondering if there would have been privacy issues if he was a cabin steward. Would they need the guest's permission to have a film crew in someone's cabin? Plus to make it look good for TV they'd have to pick the messiest cabin. Can you imagine Mr. Sheehan whining about what filthy pigs must be staying here while he cleans the filthy bathroom. Yep that would have gone down well with NCL's "customers", but it would have made great TV. :-D
Old January 4th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Can you imagine Mr. Sheehan whining about what filthy pigs must be staying here while he cleans the filthy bathroom. Yep that would have gone down well with NCL's "customers", but it would have made great TV.
Another funny and good point. You don't think about all of possibilities for things to look bad. BUt like you said - that is what makes great TV.

You know what - some people are slobs in their cabins (most are not, but some definitely are...)

And to Gfog50 - some good points - there is no way the crew and everyone else onboard did not know "something" was up when they saw all the cameras, lights & booms. Having a camera crew from a major network on a ship is about as "stealthy" as a Macy's Parade.

He may have been the "boss" in disguise, but the word "undercover" is definitely a stretch.
Old January 4th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Mike said...

Quote:
I did have an issue with the fact that the majority of people that Sheehan worked with were American's and that he did not stay in the crew quarters.
I don't mind that - but I was hoping that the camera crew would go into the crew areas and we would hear them talking to him unscripted and not knowing he was Sheehan. If you knew what crewmembers really say you would really laugh.

They are really nice people, and they like the guests and their jobs, but they are HUMAN and doing a job - they refer to passengers as "cones" and they complain just like every other worker does. I think it would be really funny for passengers to hear and crewmembers incognito.
Old January 4th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default What a sham

I feel badly for the NCL employees who weren't lucky enough to be duped into being shills for this farce. Surely these weren't the only four crew in the fleet with personnel/advancement/working condition issues. That they (NCL) felt compelled to throw some (read small) money at a communal crew entertainment/enrichment fund to placate the rest of them was insulting. A bad, soft soap info-mercial. That's all it was.
Old January 4th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes I have read all the replies to this thread, and while watching, my husband and I were surprised that they would try to portray a crew member that had not been trained. All crusiers know better than that. As for the CEO claiming he didn't realize how hard the crew worked, well, let me just say that my husband retired after 30 years at an automobile factory. The CEO had NEVER watched the employees at their jobs, well enough worked the line! So that is possibly a true remark. Not all CEO's are in their positions because they have worked their way up from the bottom.
Old January 4th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Admiral

:razz:you know, from what everyone is saying, I don't think I want to watch the program. I think I will just stay in my own little world with my head in the sand...Thank you...
Old January 4th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Mazeke - I understand what you are saying about CEOs and I agree, some of them probably do not know what the menial jobs are really like.

However, Sheehan has been NCLs CEO for almost two years or more. I worked on ships about that long myself but I knew almost exactly how hard everyone's job was after my first 4-month contract.

Everyone in the cruise business knows the hours every job works, plus the length of contracts, about how much money they make, etc. When you work on a ship such topics are discussed constantly by the crew. For a CEO to say on TV "I was surprised by this job" just says to me he hasn't been paying attention to his company structure.

I guess some CEOs are more financial and market driven, while others are systems oriented. But NCL has strong marketing people already who have been there a lot longer than Sheehan. If he isn't a "systems" person then I wonder what his appeal as CEO is...

Figurehead? Good contacts with the financial community? IPO....

He certainly doesn't seem to be the organizational type.
Old January 4th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Admiral

Maybe it is his tap dancing skills, such as those he used in today's web conference to dance around the subject of whether he was really in crew quarters. I think the words were something like 'actually it was one of the cabins we use for entertainers. We have several on the Epic and they are on the periphery of the crew quarters.'

Sort of like me saying I slept in crew berthing on my Navy assignments, but in reality was in a junior officer's stateroom.

Another thing from today's conference...he said he did in fact do other jobs such as cleaning cabins and toilets, and issuing crew uniforms. But he said CBS decided not to use those segments.
Old January 4th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have watched most of the show episodes and this is the regular format. In some episodes there have been company-wide changes, but mostly it involves doing something nice for those who were on the show. It is hard to believe that any of the bosses really didn't know how hard their employees work. But they all are so surprised at how hard some of the jobs are and how many unnecessary inconveniences had to be overcome.. Probably good that they come out of their ivory towers.
I also was amazed that almost all of the employees Kevin interacted with were Americans--very misleading. As for the get-up he had to wear for the White-Hot Night--angel wings? Seriously???
This is the second season for the show and I can't believe people are still being fooled by the story that the bosses are ordinary people vying for a job and the camera crew is just there for the contest.

Last edited by kmm44; January 4th, 2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old January 4th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Familiar Face

Default Really enjoyed the show

Thought the show was great...very moving. Even though he was not qualified for some of the jobs.but then who would be.
He has my deepest respect as he learned about the crew members he asisted and made things better for them.
They deserve everything he gave them.
It was a very touching show and I look forward to sailing on NCL very soon.I am booked on the Norwegian Sun Baltic Cruise in May. Now I can hardly wait to sail again with NCL after seeing this show.