Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 5th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Familiar Face

Default Norwegian Sun

We are doing the Baltic in May on the Norwegian Sun. Yes, I know there was a mechanical problem in December that some people was upset over. I have also read that many other pasengers thought NCL handle it very good.
I also understand the Sun will be dry docked this month and updated so do not think by May there will be any kind of problem.
I would like to know if anyone has taken the Baltic Capital Cruise on NCL Sun before and how was it. Were the port excusions good?
What was the best and worst parts of the cruise.
I think this is the first year the Sun leaves from Copenhagan and returns to same port.
Thanks for any info you can supply and please no more replies from the pasengers that were so upset on the December cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tom View Post
We are doing the Baltic in May on the Norwegian Sun. Yes, I know there was a mechanical problem in December that some people was upset over. I have also read that many other pasengers thought NCL handle it very good.
I also understand the Sun will be dry docked this month and updated so do not think by May there will be any kind of problem.
I would like to know if anyone has taken the Baltic Capital Cruise on NCL Sun before and how was it. Were the port excusions good?
What was the best and worst parts of the cruise.
I think this is the first year the Sun leaves from Copenhagan and returns to same port.
Thanks for any info you can supply and please no more replies from the pasengers that were so upset on the December cruise.
Tom, we have not taken the particular cruise but have friends that did and they loved it. Yes, this is the first year for the Copenhagan embarkation and debarkation. As for the ship, we have sailed her twice, once when she was about 6 months old and again 5 years later. I have to say, of all the ships we have sailed and there are several of them, she is probably my favorite or close to the top. The Sun is big enough to have all the special features many of us have learned to take for granted, but small enough not to be too much like a mega ship. The cabins are nice sized and the crew is wonderful. Be sure an enjoy tapas in Las Rambles bar and restaurant at least one early evening. You can make them an entire meal.

Nita
Old January 7th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Familiar Face

My husband and I took a western carribean trip a few years back on the Sun. It was a Nice ship small and managable. Our itenirary was ur best yet. The only thing we weren't to happy with was the service, Ncl,& Freestyle dining. We are going on NCL again because it just fits our needs, we will have to deal with the rest. If I had to do it over again I would.
Old January 9th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks for your help. Sound like a ship we will enjoy as we are turned off by the bigger ships. We would not even consider the giant ships the cruise lines are putting out now. Who wants to deal with all that crowd and lines everywhere on the ship.
Old January 10th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Admiral

I have to laugh, when we cruised the Sun the frist time we thought of her as huge, now we call her small. It is amazing how our ideas change. As for the truely todays mega ships, I would only do one just to see what they are like, but the idea of 4000 or more on one vessel, to me, is not appealing. Just getting on and off would be a hassle. That is why the mega ships can't tender. It would take all day just to get the passengers off.

Nita
Old January 28th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Captain

Yes, we did the Baltics this past August. I did a review so you may check that out for further information.

It was our fourth trip on the Sun, and she is one of our favorite ships. Very easy to get around on and a woooonderfully friendly staff.

We embrked in London, and I think the move to Copenhagen should be a plus. Although, the sea day was very nice for resting up after some busy days in London and preparing for a whirlwind in the Baltics.

Great trip. If you've not booked private tours for Russia, I highly recommend it. You will get so much more out of SPB if you do private
rather than ship's tours.
Old January 28th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks for the info. I will check out the tours. Will also look for your review of the cruise.