Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Familiar Face

Default Why would anyone pay extra for entertainment on ship?

Why would anyone pay extra for entertainment on a cruise ship?
I do not understand people that would pay all the money for the cruise where all the meals and entertainment is suppose to be included and then pay extra for certain restaurants and entertainment. If the cruise lines start charging for all the meals and entertainment then the ships will be almost empty .
Sure maybe some rich people do not mind throwing their money away but for a lot of us a cruise is expensive and we save up to take one.
We will never cruise on a ship where everything is charge extra.
Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Familiar Face

I agree ! The reason I enjoy cruising is to experiance something I normally wouldn't do..try food I wouldn't normally try. Don't get me wrong..I DON'T abuse it. I enjoy the shows but I would be ALOT more critcal if they sucked ! If the show was not enjoyable for I can just leave nothing wasted but a little time.
Old January 7th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Admiral

I frankly don't pay extra for anything on a ship .I'm content to go to the MDR for all my meals . The quality of entertainment that one finds on a ship does not warrant paying extra . Now if I was on a cruise and had the opportunity to hear Renaissance or CSN ,I woould be willing to pay .
Old January 7th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
I frankly don't pay extra for anything on a ship .I'm content to go to the MDR for all my meals . The quality of entertainment that one finds on a ship does not warrant paying extra . Now if I was on a cruise and had the opportunity to hear Renaissance or CSN ,I woould be willing to pay .
I Totally agree !!! I would pay extra for that level of entertainment,
Old January 8th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Familiar Face

Yeah ditto here I am a value cruiser, I look at my vacation as an all inclusive, so why would I pay more? ONly once did I take a cruise line shore excursion and that was because I did not feel that the city we visited was safe and that armed guards were mandatory. the only fees we have at the end of the cruise are the tips.
Old January 10th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Admiral

As long as there were still choices for free entertainment and the sur charge was top quality, maybe, depending on price. We go to Vegas and pay extra for entertainment, we go to NYC and pay for Broadway shows. Whether we like the idea of paying on a cruise ship, I think the printing might be on the wall. Things in the industry are changing.

Nita
Old January 10th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Admiral

You can also go to NYC and see FREE shows .
Old January 11th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Captain

Why would anyone pay extra for high speed internet, when dial up is basically free?

Why would anyone pay extra for satellite television when you can get it free over the air?

Why would anyone pay big money for a flat screen tv, when they can get a tube tv for next to nothing?

Why would anyone pay extra to go to the superbowl when you can watch it free at home?

Why would anyone order tomato soup in a restaurant when you can just mix catsup (free) and hot water (free)?

Why would anyone pay $1 for a coke at McDonalds when they can buy it for 50 cents at Walmart?

Why would anyone pay for a steak at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse when they can get a much cheaper one (already ground up) at McDonalds?

Why would anyone pay big money for a BMW whan they can buy a Chevrolet for much less?

Why would anyone pay extra for a business class seat on an airplane when they can fly economy for much less and arrive at their destination at the same time?

Why would anyone pay extra for fish eggs, when chicken eggs are so much cheaper?

Why would anyone pay for a cruise, when you can rent a canoe and a tent for far less money?
Old January 11th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Default Answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
Why would anyone pay extra for high speed internet, when dial up is basically free?( I don't pay for internet)

Why would anyone pay extra for satellite television when you can get it free over the air?(I don't have satellite TV)
Why would anyone pay big money for a flat screen tv, when they can get a tube tv for next to nothing?(I don't own a flat screen TV)

Why would anyone pay extra to go to the superbowl when you can watch it free at home?(I have never gone to a football game)

Why would anyone order tomato soup in a restaurant when you can just mix catsup (free) and hot water (free)?(I don't eat tomato soup)

Why would anyone pay $1 for a coke at McDonalds when they can buy it for 50 cents at Walmart?(I don't eat at McDonalds )

Why would anyone pay for a steak at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse when they can get a much cheaper one (already ground up) at McDonalds?(I don't eat steak)

Why would anyone pay big money for a BMW whan they can buy a Chevrolet for much less?(I do not drive)

Why would anyone pay extra for a business class seat on an airplane when they can fly economy for much less and arrive at their destination at the same time?(I never fly business class)

Why would anyone pay extra for fish eggs, when chicken eggs are so much cheaper?(I do not eat eggs)

Why would anyone pay for a cruise, when you can rent a canoe and a tent for far less money?
(I can't swim)
Old January 11th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Familiar Face

The whole point of a cruise is that everything is included in the price up front.
A lot of us do not pay for the things you mentioned but that has nothing to do with the post.
Thanks anyway

Last edited by Mike M; January 14th, 2011 at 07:33 PM. Reason: removed direct attack
Old January 14th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to sergej

>>Why would anyone pay extra for entertainment on a cruise ship?

I would pay and I payed.
And I think It is OK because cruise tickets are not very expensive.
Old January 14th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tom View Post
The whole point of a cruise is that everything is included in the price up front.
A lot of us do not pay for the things you mentioned but that has nothing to do with the post.
Thanks anyway
Other than the luxury lines cruises have not been "all inclusive" for many, many years. Everything is not included in the up front price.

What certain lines charge for and what others don't is different.

Lines are looking at ways to get more revenue and offer different entertainment. After 30 some cruises I can't force myself to see one more of the cheesy cruise production shows. However, based on what the entertainment is, I will pay additional. I tried the Cirque shows on Epic and they were ok but I won't pay for them again.

I would rather pay for headline entertainment such as top tier singers and comedians.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 14th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
Why would anyone pay extra for high speed internet, when dial up is basically free?

Why would anyone pay extra for satellite television when you can get it free over the air?

Why would anyone pay big money for a flat screen tv, when they can get a tube tv for next to nothing?

Why would anyone pay extra to go to the superbowl when you can watch it free at home?

Why would anyone order tomato soup in a restaurant when you can just mix catsup (free) and hot water (free)?

Why would anyone pay $1 for a coke at McDonalds when they can buy it for 50 cents at Walmart?

Why would anyone pay for a steak at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse when they can get a much cheaper one (already ground up) at McDonalds?

Why would anyone pay big money for a BMW whan they can buy a Chevrolet for much less?

Why would anyone pay extra for a business class seat on an airplane when they can fly economy for much less and arrive at their destination at the same time?

Why would anyone pay extra for fish eggs, when chicken eggs are so much cheaper?

I think this is a brilliant post, it illustrates that some enjoy & appreciate a bit of quality.
I don't know about paying for entertainment, never had to, but we do pay for special restaurants, it's not all about the food, any more than dinner is just getting something to eat.
Old January 14th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
it's not all about the food, any more than dinner is just getting something to eat.
John,

That month long cruise gave you even more wisdom and insight.

You are absolutely right.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 15th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Familiar Face

Seems like just another way some people like to waste their money. If entertainment and food are included with the cruise then enjoy them. I have no desire to pay extra for a different restaurant (I have heard most are not worth the extra money anyway)
Nor would I pay extra for entertainment...if I want to pay extra for entertainment it will not be on a cruise but on a Broadway Show, Las Vegas name star etc.
It is all just another way to the publics billfolds.
We have always doen just fine on all of our cruises eating in the main dining halls, buffets and seeing the lounge and theater shows that are included.
Some of us just do not throw our money away on things needlessly.
Old January 15th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Admiral

AND others enjoy life to the full, exploring new things without worrying about a few dollars when on holiday.
Old January 15th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
AND others enjoy life to the full, exploring new things without worrying about a few dollars when on holiday.
Straight talking again John! - but on this I agree with you.

Annie
Old January 15th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Admiral

Alway do Annie, not clever enough for anything else, trouble is people read stuff that isn't there.
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Familiar Face

Well if you got the money to throw away then good for you but everyone is not that rich or if they are they watch their money. You can not take it with you but if you lose your job as so many have then the money saved will come in handy.
So you live the way you feel best and throw away you rmoney needlessly and maybe someday you will be sorry or maybe you will not.
We will stand by our statement and not pay extra for items that are included in the price of the cruise.
Old January 17th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Admiral

Tom Tom, I am not rich but I am retired. I do not have money to throw away ;I am canny with my money but I love travelling - it is my hobby and passion.

For me, most of the time I have to fly to join a cruise, so a few dollars more on either speciality dining or entertainment is not a deal breaker v cost of a TA airfare. However I like value for money - I am Scots after all

I respect your position however and only too well understand the need for a 'rainy day' fund for contingencies. I had several.

Enjoy your future cruises.

Annie
Old January 19th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Familiar Face

Well for the majority of people, the idea of a cruise is to pay for an all inclusive, upcharge dining and upcharge entertainment is just an added expense for cruises in general. If you were to go to Las Vegas you could see great world class entertainment, great shopping, great dining for a fraction of the costs of a cruise. So if you are a going on a cruise to be entertained, the value cruiser, it would be best not to go at all.

Kind of funny though:
I cant get free dial up because I dont own a land line
I dont have cable nor satelite
I dont own a flat screen
I get into sporting events for free, I would never pay for superbowl tickets and if I had them i would sell them and give the money to a local food bank
I do buy food at mcdonalds but never do I buy a drink, because it is cheaper else where
I would never waste money on a bmw i own a ford but rarely use it because public transporation works best
I would never buy a business class ticket
I would never buy caviar
Now a cruise vs canoe, all inclusive cruises can get you great value, I have paid 399 per person for a 7 day balcony room before. (and the wife wont complain about the mosquitos)

To each their own
Old January 19th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Admiral

tom,tom

I think the extra that would be charged for entertainment is for top performers like in Vagas. I do agree, as long as entertainment is included I will choose the inclusive shows, but that doesn't mean I would never opt to pay a little. Cruising is still a great value. As for sur charge dining, we do part take a couple of times on every cruise. food is subjective like most things, we do feel the extra is well worth it.

Nita
Old January 23rd, 2011, 08:39 AM
Familiar Face

I hear ya TT.

My partner and I were recently talking about how nice it is to not have to settle a bill each and every time we have dinner. Now I have paid for a few dinners a night or two on a few Norwegian cruises in years' past, but I find I tend to miss the action going on in the main dining room so will probably not opt to do that too many more times in the future.

Will never pay for entertainment on a cruise. Would just stop attending shows. Now if it were someone I just 'had' to see, then maybe, but seriously doubt that's going to happen.

Beth
Enchanted Seas
Enchanted Isle x4

Seawind
Seawind Crown
Celebrity
Horizon
Carnival
Celebration x5
Festivale
Fascination
Inspiration
Conquest x2
Elation- PLATINUM

Magic x2
Norwegian
Sea x3
Star
Dream
Spirit

Need some cruise help?

Need some cruise help?
Old January 23rd, 2011, 06:54 PM
Familiar Face

I know what you mean. We love the main dining rooms and really prefer set times to eat.
We are not a real fan of this Free Style but still we eat at the time we like and enjoy the meal more in the main dining rooms.
On Holland American Lines (our favorite) and Princess Lines we had set times so never had to wait for a table and enjoyed our choice of eating alone or with others depending on our moods.
We have another NCL Cruise in May doing the Baltic so we will have to do free style again but we will still go at our favorite time...we like early so to catch the early shows in the theatre. That then leaves the later nights to enjoy cocktails or a great desert somewhere or catch a lounge show.

Tom Tom
Old February 21st, 2011, 01:30 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tom View Post
Seems like just another way some people like to waste their money. If entertainment and food are included with the cruise then enjoy them. I have no desire to pay extra for a different restaurant (I have heard most are not worth the extra money anyway)
Nor would I pay extra for entertainment...if I want to pay extra for entertainment it will not be on a cruise but on a Broadway Show, Las Vegas name star etc.
It is all just another way to the publics billfolds.
We have always doen just fine on all of our cruises eating in the main dining halls, buffets and seeing the lounge and theater shows that are included.
Sorry, but I have to REALLY disagree that "most of them are not worth the money, anyway". I regularly eat at Cagney's. The $25/$30 surcharge is a pittance. To get a meal of that quality, I have to drive 100 miles to Los Angeles or Palm Springs, or 200 miles to Las Vegas. And THEN pay somewhere in the $80-100 range. So, it's a steal.
Ditto for the Teppanyaki. I think I paid $25 on NCL. Easily a $50-$75 experience at Kobe or Benihana, and frankly, NCL was better.
Old March 5th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Familiar Face

Default All-inclusive cruises?

Gee, on every cruise I have been on, the last night I got a paper under the cabin door. It is the statement about everything that was NOT included (drinks, shore excursions, gift shop items, etc).

Now if the cruise lines operated like the airlines, you would be charged for each of your luggage pieces, lifeboat drill, use of life jacket (extra if it got wet), towel animals on bed, chocolate mint on pillow, daily news bulletins, having your bread toasted at breakfast buffet, carry service of your tray at buffet, towel at pool, use of deck chair by the hour, etc, etc!

In 2009, we took a 10-night NCL cruise RT from Philly to NE Canada. We went on most of the shore excursions.

I looked at an escorted tour by bus brouchere to the same places, that was advertised at $999 per person. However, not included was RT air to Halifax, most lunches and dinners. Plus some extra fees. Their final price and the added air fare was over twice the NCL costs (including the drinks and shore excursions)!!! and we didn't have to endure the airport trials.

Cruises are still the best for your travel $!

PapaBear
Old March 5th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Familiar Face

Forgot one thing. On a cruise, you unpack and pack only once! On a recent bus trip in Turkey, we unpacked and packed every night, except in Istanbul and Cappadocia.

PapaBear
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
Gee, on every cruise I have been on, the last night I got a paper under the cabin door. It is the statement about everything that was NOT included (drinks, shore excursions, gift shop items, etc).

Now if the cruise lines operated like the airlines, you would be charged for each of your luggage pieces, lifeboat drill, use of life jacket (extra if it got wet), towel animals on bed, chocolate mint on pillow, daily news bulletins, having your bread toasted at breakfast buffet, carry service of your tray at buffet, towel at pool, use of deck chair by the hour, etc, etc!

In 2009, we took a 10-night NCL cruise RT from Philly to NE Canada. We went on most of the shore excursions.

I looked at an escorted tour by bus brouchere to the same places, that was advertised at $999 per person. However, not included was RT air to Halifax, most lunches and dinners. Plus some extra fees. Their final price and the added air fare was over twice the NCL costs (including the drinks and shore excursions)!!! and we didn't have to endure the airport trials.

Cruises are still the best for your travel $!

PapaBear
you are right, they are the best value for your buck. We just did the Spirit, balc cabin, 7 nights out of New Orleans. Yes we had to fly or in our case, we drove and yes, we spent an extra night in New Orleans, but that was our choice. The cost of the cruise, including port charges and taxes was $692.50 per person. Our cabin account bill, at the end, including 3 specialty dining rooms and drinks, plus tips and some gift shop purchases was, around $500.00. This comes to about $1000 per person for the cruise including drinks. We didn't use NCL for our tours though.

Nita:o
Old March 7th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Welcome Newcomer

wow, he is right. cruises are expensive, and it should all be free. Maybe not ALL, but everything is starting to cost more and more money when it should be free. For butler service, 15.00 service charge every day, yet they pretty much make you tip them still. But everyone on here has to disagree because they think their big and bad with their money
Old March 8th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Captain

We are talking about mass market cruise lines here.

Mass market cruise lines have just one goal - to make a good profit for their shareholders.
The mass market cruise lines do not make any profit selling cruises.
They make profit by selling extra things to you once you get onboard.

If you speak with my Sales and Marketing colleagues at the cruise lines, they will tell you that their primary target market is a middle class family that nets over US$100,000 per year.
These are the people who book upper category cabins, tip well, and buy plenty of shore excursions, photos, beverage packages, and book the cover charge restaurants. These "average" passengers not only pay for fuel, food, and the ship's mortgage, but they generate profit for the company.

My colleagues will also admit that with the size of today's ships, there are necessarily lower quality, lower priced accommodations onboard that will appeal to a lower quality passenger.
This lower quality passenger will not spend or tip nearly as much as the average passenger, but his cruise fare still helps pay for fuel, food, and the mortgage on the ship.

The enhanced onboard spending by the average passengers allows these budget travelers to enjoy a low priced vacation, while the cruise line can still manage to turn a good profit.