CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Norwegian Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/)
-   -   NCL Pearl vs. NCL Star Bound for Alaska 2011 (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/379797-ncl-pearl-vs-ncl-star-bound-alaska-2011-a.html)

Tissa&Carey January 23rd, 2011 03:28 PM

NCL Pearl vs. NCL Star Bound for Alaska 2011

Hi.... I first want to thank all those who take the time to post trip reports and advice. Where would we be without you.

My wife and I will be setting out late this summer (end of July first of August) for Alaska. We have been looking at quite a few different lines and ships.. We have never been on a cruise before and are looking for advice between the two ships Pearl and Star. Although we do not have children, we feel we are younger in spirit, and want a more upbeat feel to the ship. Thanks in advance for any advice or pointers.

Carey and Tissa

AlaskanFam January 23rd, 2011 10:22 PM

Hi. My family of 4 have been checking out several cruiselines & have narrowed it down to these 2 ships. From what I've read, the Star has alot of offerings for kids 2-12, while the Pearl is geared more for the teen crowd. Assuming that you don't want alot of very young kids around, the Pearl may be the better choice for you. It seems to have more variety in dining & entertainment as well. We are thinking of traveling toward the end of July 2011 & our kids are 12 & 16 in August, so we are leaning towards the Pearl as well. Have you checked into other cruise lines?

Tissa&Carey January 23rd, 2011 10:49 PM

We went to a HAL Alaska Seminar yesterday.. We liked it, but they really pushed the over land and sea and did not spend much time on the Cruise part. Due to time constraints, we are going to have to stick to the 7-8 day itinerary... Also we like the fact that both of the cruises depart out of Seattle.. What are some of the better excursions you have read about along the ports that the ships stop at? We love wildlife and fishing our-self's. One thing we are looking at is a float plane trip at one of the ports.. We were hoping we could find great leads on some of the excursions that may not be available through the cruise line.. or if its even good to book outside of the cruise Line..
Always looking for great advice.....

Carey and Tissa

nmnita January 24th, 2011 03:52 PM

I have sailed both and I like the Pearl much better. There are a handful out there who think the greatest ship of all times is the Star, I just don't get it. Regardless you will have a good time. Being your first cruise, you will be happy no matter what as first cruises, like first kisses are better than any other. I will also add, though HAL does a great job with Alaskan cruises (they do a great job period) for first time cruisers under 65 I think NCL is a much better choice.

Nita

samfiremedic January 24th, 2011 07:03 PM

Pearl Pearl Pearl:) We took it in November, loved it. Not to mention we've had two NCL employees tell us to definitely choose that over the Star for our Alaska cruise.

antiquehtr3 January 26th, 2011 12:30 AM

The Pearl has better food. Also, the Star does not have the forward lounge with large glass viewing windows anymore-they made suites out of it!

DiBob January 31st, 2011 07:32 PM

We took the Pearl to Alaska and loved it! We spent lots of time with our group in the Spinnaker...great place to hand out for this itinerary! Yes, the Star no longer has the lounge there..I actually booked one of those suites on Deck 12 today...I vote the Pearl!

tigerterrace February 10th, 2011 01:14 AM

Another factor is that if you compare the two inteneraries. The Pearl spends a whole day sitting in Glacier Bay. From the video I have seen it seems facinating to see the ice breaking off and falling into the water.