CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Norwegian Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Even death in a family is not enough for NCL to re-schedule a cruise!!! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/380653-even-death-family-not-enough-ncl-re-schedule-cruise.html)

FluidDynamicist February 21st, 2011 10:11 PM

Even death in a family is not enough for NCL to re-schedule a cruise!!!

I have booked six months ago 2 balcony rooms (upscale) for Feb 19 Cruise on the Epic to Western Caribbean. This was supposed to be our first cruise ever and it was my wife's birthday as well.

You can tell we were really looking forward to this experience!

On Fri 18, I received terrible news and had to cancel the cruise. Actually I wanted only to re-schedule to another day. To my complete surprise, NCL was completely ignorant about my circumstances and was only after their fees.

The recovered taxes (about 10% of total) and did not even apologize.

What can I do? Any ideas? WHo can I call for help?

Many thanks to all. I hope you will have better experience than I did.

Trackypup February 21st, 2011 10:31 PM

I'm very sorry for your loss. This is exactly what travel insurance is for. They'll cover it

Trip February 21st, 2011 10:57 PM

You will need to take responsibity for not taking out travel insurance,which would have protected you, under these circumstances. I am very sorry you had to cancel, and my sympathy to you and your family, but, NCL handled this like any cruise line would have.

Moiraine February 21st, 2011 11:11 PM

I am sorry for you loss.

ruthlessboss February 22nd, 2011 04:57 AM

As stated, Travel insurance is the key to recovering financial fees. Even if insured, proof would need to be provided. Purchasing insurance seems like a waste to many, it's something one thinks they'll never need to use. Same with car insurance, most never have to use it, but who knows when the need will arise?

Kuki February 22nd, 2011 09:42 AM

I'm sure it feels terrible to post and get these "less than sympathetic" responses.

Know, everyone though does have sympathy for your loss of a family member, as do I.

What everyone so far has expressed is the "but", because they understand how important a purchase travel insurance is. People avoid the expense of it thinking they're healthy and nothing will happen to them. Your post proves it doesn't have to be you before a problem comes up that insurance would deal with.

The cruise lines really can not expected to be financially responsible for all the bad things that can happen to paying passengers before they cruise, that would cause them to cancel.

Again, sorry for your loss.

Hpine1 February 22nd, 2011 06:11 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Paul Motter February 23rd, 2011 11:24 AM

Before we could even begin to help you we need to know more - when does the cruise sail? have you made full payment yet?

If it is more than 90 or 100 days out you may be able to get a full refund.

Between 90 and 30 days you get a partial refund and after 30 days there is no refund.

BUt they should have told you all of this when you called to try to move the cruise.

It is too bad you did not use a travel agent. They would have told you the chances you were taking by not having insurance - and they would have tried to process a refund for you immediately the day you knew you needed it.

Also - sometimes (not a certainty) the better cruise agents have at least some clout. She my have gotten you at least a partial credit for a future cruise.

Trackypup February 23rd, 2011 11:43 AM

His cruise date is in the initial post and we don't actually know that they didn't have insurance.

ruthlessboss February 23rd, 2011 05:10 PM

If he had insurance making him refund eligible he would not be griping.

Trackypup February 23rd, 2011 05:43 PM

I'm assuming they didn't too, but I'm not jumping on them until they post that.

ruthlessboss February 23rd, 2011 06:50 PM

Well, he's done a massive 1 post and that was 2 days ago. Time for an answer, don't you think?

Trackypup February 23rd, 2011 06:52 PM

Absolutely I think they should post again.

Wando February 24th, 2011 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruthlessboss (Post 1354752)
If he had insurance making him refund eligible he would not be griping.

Or maybe the OP did have insurance, but the family member that passed away wasn't covered by that insurance (eg. the insurance only covered spouses or parents or children and it was an uncle or cousin that sadly died).

ruthlessboss February 24th, 2011 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wando (Post 1354890)
Or maybe the OP did have insurance, but the family member that passed away wasn't covered by that insurance (eg. the insurance only covered spouses or parents or children and it was an uncle or cousin that sadly died).

True, but it still falls into the insurance question. IF he had insurance, and read who's covered, why call NCL and try to change the rules? It comes back to "why buy insurance" if there's exception.

Paul Motter February 24th, 2011 10:09 AM

Yeah...

come to think of it - why would I ask if the cruise date was 90s day out if the OP already said it was a last-minute event????

Just plain crazy of me I guess :???:. Oh well.

In any case - I think the OP is long gone, just a one-time hit to gripe in public. Happens all the time.

But really, I wanted to put that information up there for other people who may need to know it under similar circumstances.

Wando February 24th, 2011 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruthlessboss (Post 1354893)
True, but it still falls into the insurance question. IF he had insurance, and read who's covered, why call NCL and try to change the rules? It comes back to "why buy insurance" if there's exception.

Perhaps I'm not understanding your point, you buy insurance to cover unexpected events. I'm sure the OP (or anyone else that may have a similar situation) wouldn't know that a family member was going to pass away or if that family member would be covered under insurance when buying it. I suspect that most insurance policies would only cover immediate family and the only insurance that would cover something else would be the cancel for any reason insurance.

I can fully undertand why someone might contact NCL if their insurance didn't cover the situation (or if they didn't have insurance) on the off chance that they might be able to change the dates or get some kind of future credit. I don't see the harm in asking. It is a lot of money to just throw away without at least trying every avenue.

Trip February 24th, 2011 05:59 PM

I think we need to give th OP, the benefit of the doubt, that, this is not a drive by post.....surely with everything they are going through, checking back, may just have been overlooked..hoping he will check back...

ruthlessboss February 24th, 2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wando (Post 1355065)
Perhaps I'm not understanding your point, you buy insurance to cover unexpected events. I'm sure the OP (or anyone else that may have a similar situation) wouldn't know that a family member was going to pass away or if that family member would be covered under insurance when buying it. I suspect that most insurance policies would only cover immediate family and the only insurance that would cover something else would be the cancel for any reason insurance.

I can fully undertand why someone might contact NCL if their insurance didn't cover the situation (or if they didn't have insurance) on the off chance that they might be able to change the dates or get some kind of future credit. I don't see the harm in asking. It is a lot of money to just throw away without at least trying every avenue.

Yes, you missed it somewhat. Insurance is protection for the unexpected.. to be at least partially reimbursed for cancellation. He cancelled very short notice, too short for returning money of any sort from the cruiseline.. Even with insurance, they may not pay if it's not immediate family, most any policy won't. So, why should the cruiseline refund if it's something not covered?
I don't blame him for a shot in the dark.

As for him not coming back to check or make a post because he's tied up, maybe so, possible. But, he found time to find his way here and make post #1. Could be sitting back and reading our responses.

nmnita March 1st, 2011 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trackypup (Post 1354660)
His cruise date is in the initial post and we don't actually know that they didn't have insurance.

yes the date was in the posting, what he did not mention was the relationship. If it was an immediate family member and he had insurance this would not be an issue.

to the OP, like everyone we sympathize with you on your loss. The only thing I would suggest is calling and then writing or visa versa the guest services dept of NCL. They might give you partial credit on another cruise, but don't count on it. Being your first cruise you probably didn't realize how important insurance was. If you used a travel agent he/she would have explained that to you. You do have to understand the side of the cruise lines, if they refund or allow bookings later on no one would bother with insurance. We just got off a cruise Sunday, our daughter fell during a really rough night or rocking and rolling. She broke her arm. Thank goodness she has insurance.

Again, prayers to you and your family.

and now it has been a week since he posted. Sounds like he thought someone would have an answer and no one did, so he isn't going to respond.

Nita